Is Chase Allen a starter for the Dolphins in 2018? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Chase Allen a starter for the Dolphins in 2018?

Is Chase Allen a starter for the Dolphins in 2018?

• Total voters

number1fin

#onephin
Club Member
Reaction score
Given the complete and utter pedestrian play by our linebackers, as well as uncertainty regrading Raekwon McMillan’s health status, going out on a limb would you currently bank on Chase Allen returning as a starter for the 2018 season?

His play was rather unremarkable only accounting for 40 tackles and 1 force fumble.

But as I’m sure you know very seldom do undrafted rookie free agents step in and make a significant contribution. Best-case scenario is they provide depth, that is if they even make the roster. So it isn’t surprising that he didn’t make many plays.

That said as of today we really don’t have any better options. Granted the draft will most likely yield us a prospect or two. However, it’s safe to say that Chase, having played in all 16 games last year has earned the chance to compete for a starting spot in 2018.

Also on a side note I like his confidence as seen in the video below:

Question is will that actually translate on the field, or is he filled with delusions of grandeur?

Contemplate on that and please comment if you like.

Last edited:
The third linebacker should not be considered a starter, period. Not in today's NFL. Not even in Miami's system, which is more classical linebacker-centric than arguably any other system in the league (prehistoric).

So if you think Chase Allen is going to be a starter next year, you're essentially saying he's going to beat Raekwon McMillan and/or whomever we acquire/draft in the off season for the #2 job along side Kiko Alonso. That would be a tough feat. Guess we'll find out.

Raekwon will be fine. So will Tannehill, for that matter.

This isn’t the 70s. ACLs are no longer a career killer. Assuming, of course, that Raekwon had his surgically repaired.

Raekwon, Roquan (hopefully) and Alonzo.

Allen and Anthony can back ‘em up.

The third linebacker should not be considered a starter, period. Not in today's NFL.
Good point.

I would presume that you’re advocating for the nickle corner position to be labeled as such?

I voted no because I think theres gonna be a lot of change at LB. I think he'll stick around though.

I don't think he's going in as a starter but could end up being one depending on injures of course. He should make the team tho for depth and ST's. He'd have been a very good LB in the 80's but the NFL has changed so much since then.

Ozzy rules!!

40 Tackles are very impressive when you've
only played 21% of the defensive snaps

Had to read the thread to make sure no one else posted it. Glad I did. I hate reruns.

120 tackles on 60% of the snaps and people around here would be anointing him as the next Offerdahl. He'll get every opportunity to start at SLB. His inexperience got him in trouble in the middle. He's good at the POA. Put him on the left.

Raekwon McMillan - LB - Dolphins
Dolphins MLB Raekwon McMillan (knee) is expected to be ready for OTAs.

McMillan, the No. 54 overall pick in last year's draft, missed his entire rookie season after tearing his ACL in the preseason opener. He was expected to be the team's starting middle linebacker. Instead, Miami had to turn to washed-up Rey Maualuga and unproven Mike Hull. The two rarely saw the field, with the Dolphins instead playing Kiko Alonso and Lawrence Timmons on every snap.

Ozzy rules!!

He stepped in on the first game of the season and had one of the team's best grades. When Timmons went AWOL Anthony and Maualuga had not arrived yet.

He led the entire NFL in tackles during preseason last year.

He graded out better last year than our 10 mil a year 4 year veteran Kiko or our 8 mil former Pro Bowl linebacker Timmons.

He is the most physically gifted LB on our roster. He has prototypical size as well.

He has high IQ,instincts, and elite character and even showed some leadership in a situation where most kids would have been overwhelmed.

Dolphin fans are blind.

Chase is a baller, glad he is on the team. If he earns it, he'll start, if not, he will definitely get a bunch of snaps next year.

Good point.

I would presume that you’re advocating for the nickle corner position to be labeled as such?

This is not any attempt to sound smug so I hope you don't take it the wrong way, but I'm not advocating for anything. It's a simple fact that in the NFL the average number of defensive backs/rovers on the field any given snap has now reach 5.0. Not 4.4, not 4.6, but 5.0.

There are as many snaps where you have 6 or more defensive backs on the field (dime) as there are snaps where there are 4 defensive backs on the field (base).

Which means that your 3rd true linebacker is as much of a role player as your DIME back. Not your nickel back, your dime back.

Now I will grant that Miami is a bit behind the average when it comes to defensive back usage. They don't use dime at all. Or at least they haven't; Matt Burke tried to claim something about them not having enough safeties but I don't believe his explanation. They're in nickel I believe more than 70% of the time, though.

So again this isn't about advocacy, it just is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom