Is Getting The Quarterback Priority Number One This Offseason? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Getting The Quarterback Priority Number One This Offseason?

getting the QB should be priority number one every year
I'm with you. The next question is more difficult, though. If you are convinced on either Haskins, Murray or both do you trade up for one and if so what will it take?

Lock is a bit of a wildcard because you can see he has talent, but he was so inconsistent. Do you roll the dice there at #13 assuming he's available?

We need a franchise QB in place by 2020. If you have a chance to get your guy now, then obviously go for it (personally only like Murray, and iffy on Haskins -- not a fan of Lock, Jones, Grier, etc.). If not, then I'm perfectly fine with making QB priority #1 in the 2020 draft.

We'll suck enough to snag Tua, Fromm, or Herbert. Absolutely. Might have to move up for Murray or Haskins though.

I think the #1 priority should be to improve up front on both sides of the ball. We're not going anywhere until the OL/DL is taken care of. I'd rather kick the can down the road another year w/ RT or another veteran stopgap than to use a lot of ammo to trade up to get a QB when next year's QB class is significantly better by a wide margin.

Now that both Haskins and Murray have entered the NFL draft the talent level at quarterback has become more intriguing.

While the draft is loaded on the defensive line and still sketchy at quarterback, is getting that position this offseason job number one?

Before those two declared I was more in the "load up on defense" mind frame. Maybe wait until 2020 to draft the qb of the future. That could still be an option.

Haskins and Murray both strike me as potential top 10 quarterbacks in the NFL. Both, or neither could reach those heights of course.

As a fan, there's a lot of things I don't know that scouts will pour over. How tough is the guy, how committed to football, team oriented, intangibles. And those are important. Tom Brady works his butt off and is one of the most driven players according to coaches. That has helped him improve over the years. Remember, he wasn't seen as much of a prospect.

Anyway, besides those two I don't have strong convictions on the other quarterbacks. There are some I'd take a chance on, but not in round one.

Jones, Lock and Grier are all guys I would pass on in the first. All have some things I like about their game. Lock has real arm talent and didn't play on a loaded team which probably accounted for some of his inconsistencies. Jones is a nice athlete and fairly accurate. I question his arm strength and he's had some injuries. Grier looks for the big play, a gunslinger mentality. Easton Stick, who CK has mentioned in the draft forum, is an intriguing player. His athletic ability looks like Mitch Trubisky. Hard to judge with the level of competition in Division II, though.

Thoughts?
No...

Ride Tannehill if you don't want to trade/release him...if not, either Falk or Ostweiler.

Other than that o line, o line, d line...in that order.

I'm with you. The next question is more difficult, though. If you are convinced on either Haskins, Murray or both do you trade up for one and if so what will it take?

Lock is a bit of a wildcard because you can see he has talent, but he was so inconsistent. Do you roll the dice there at #13 assuming he's available?
I'm not convinced on either but if Murray falls to us I'd draft him.

I think the #1 priority should be to improve up front on both sides of the ball. We're not going anywhere until the OL/DL is taken care of. I'd rather kick the can down the road another year w/ RT or another veteran stopgap than to use a lot of ammo to trade up to get a QB when next year's QB class is significantly better by a wide margin.
I tend to agree. Both lines are pretty bad. Tunsil and James are a good start on the offensive line, maybe keep Sitton. The defensive line needs 3-4 starters IMO.

That said, if either Murray or Haskins are viewed as franchise quarterbacks I think Miami should do what it takes to get one of them. It sounds like some in the NFL view Lock much like Carson Wenz. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

They've been doing that for a decade+. Let's get a QB who understands pre-snap adjustments and can improvise.

Football ignorance at its finest. They may have drafted garbages like James, Martin, over drafted average like pounced etc but they made the wrong picks obviously. On defense we missed twice with Harris and Jordan.

They have to draft the right players. Drafting poorly doesn’t mean the position is addressed. Drafting the wrong Qb just to appease ignorants like you is the wrong move.

If the Ohio state QB falls to us, it’s worth a shot. This other nonsense about selling out for him or Murray is ridiculous. Same goes for tua next year. Lawerance is the only prospect they should trade picks to get but we’ve got 2-3 years to wait on that one.

Most rookie QB's don't do so well their first season. So even if we waited for Trevor Lawrence, his first year wouldn't be amazing. Are we really waiting 4 years to be a contender? Draft a QB early in this draft, the guy has 2 years to prove himself which is more than enough time. If not good by 2021, trade away everything to get Lawrence.

So waste a high pick on a roster with no talent to trade it away in two years because no QB is going to satisfy you with how bad this line is.

I have no problem taking Murray this year and coming right back with Fromm or another QB in 2020. We would hopefully be lucky enough to hit on 1/2 of them, and QB's always hold good trade value.

Now I would not give up a boatload of picks, nor would I give up next year's first to move up and get Murray. If he falls to us, or close to us where it is reasonable I would be all for it. But I'm guessing after the normal draft hype he will be a top 5 pick. I don't want to give up assets to move up that high when we have so many other holes.

It should always be BPA. these teams that constantly draft QB for no reason to that than to appease stupid fans are horrible and have been horrible.

Look at the Browns...do I need to go through the list? They stopped drafting **** QBs and hit on some other players. Their defense is stacked and the line is solid.

The jets have been drafting **** QBs since Sanchez. They suck.

The priority has to be to tank this year. Even if you think one of these QBs has the abilities of a Watson or Trubisky, the team infrastructure is so bad right now that he won’t have the ability to succeed. It’s probably what doomed Tannehill.

So I would, cut all of the dead weight you possibly can. Draft the best guard available and look for high upside players who don’t need to start right away. Have Fales and Falk be your QBs next year and just be bad and hopefully we end up with the following season with Tua, Jim Harbaugh and a good o-line. Maybe the odds aren’t great, but it beats guaranteed mediocrity.

Back
Top Bottom