Is Getting The Quarterback Priority Number One This Offseason? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Getting The Quarterback Priority Number One This Offseason?

A quarterback needs to be the only priority. More and more elite quarterback prospects are entering the league, due to the availability of both athletic and pro style versions. The conventional wisdom was flat wrong a few years ago that the collegiate stylistic shift would leave fewer top guys available to the NFL. That's partially how you got the nonsense that Ryan Tannehill would move up the charts via attrition alone. I warned several times that it was a preposterous theory. But the Dolphins swallowed it and sat around.

I have followed pro and college stats for 35 years. Previously the standards were dependable. Option teams almost always led the nation in yards per attempt, and that made sense since they threw more seldom but hit dagger big plays due to so much defensive emphasis on stopping their running game. But only recently has the trend sharply reversed. Baker Mayfield led the nation last season with 11.5 YPA among over 400 throws. That is an unheard of number. Then Kyler Murray followed it this season with 11.6. And it's not merely one program managing that type of number, because Tua followed with 11.2.

BTW, if you're going to knock or nitpick Tua Tagovailoa, do yourself a favor and find another venue. You'll be laughed at here. Slimm is often overly kind to Tua detractors. I don't have to worry about that.

Quarterbacks who can create space and reinvent the pocket are changing the dynamic of the game. I am aware of that but I still have to jolt myself. It doesn't matter if Kyler Murray has some weaknesses. The fact that he is a lightning jitterbug out there is going to drive NFL defenses nuts.

Haskins does not fit. Not close. Not an athlete. J-off-her-doll pointed out correctly in the Draft Forum that Haskins has the Jared Goff makeup of needing top level calm surroundings. Haskins and Goff can look as bad as Tannehill if things are going wrong. I actually believe Haskins can have some JaMarcus Russell moments early in his career if forced to throw from a collapsing pocket on a lousy team. But the difference is that both of those guys have extreme upside if things are in great shape around them, while Tannehill is like a racehorse who trots along in the middle of the pack no matter if it's a claiming race or major stakes. No comprehension that he's allowed to be great.

I'm not sure I'll ever post here again if we draft Daniel Jones, he of the 6.6 YPA in 2016, 5.9 in 2017 and 6.8 in 2018. One game after another below 5 YPA and sometimes below 4 YPA. He is another one of those tape guy sucker specials because he looks the part.

The rules reward the passing game. Passer rating jumped across the league this year. Currently there is too much spotlight on the offensive line and specifically the teams remaining in the playoffs. Don't be fooled by that. It is not a priority position. It is a position in which lower drafted guys excel. The Dolphins have simply been inept at identifying that type. But no reason a trend like that should persist.

Get the quarterback. Don't be afraid to go the Kizer or Rosen route of trying once then seizing an immediate upgrade a year later.

Miami can't be stuck in conventional wisdom stupidity that building a team piece by piece is the way to go. That quarterback erases mistakes elsewhere on the roster, and once you have him it is amazing relaxation and clarity, improving decision making all year long.

I would like the new quarterback to announce the return to the old logo. Only proper.
So well said. If you hit you also open the window to success for 10 or more years. Everyone has changed around Tom Brady and yet New England is in the running every year.

A quarterback needs to be the only priority. More and more elite quarterback prospects are entering the league, due to the availability of both athletic and pro style versions. The conventional wisdom was flat wrong a few years ago that the collegiate stylistic shift would leave fewer top guys available to the NFL. That's partially how you got the nonsense that Ryan Tannehill would move up the charts via attrition alone. I warned several times that it was a preposterous theory. But the Dolphins swallowed it and sat around.

I have followed pro and college stats for 35 years. Previously the standards were dependable. Option teams almost always led the nation in yards per attempt, and that made sense since they threw more seldom but hit dagger big plays due to so much defensive emphasis on stopping their running game. But only recently has the trend sharply reversed. Baker Mayfield led the nation last season with 11.5 YPA among over 400 throws. That is an unheard of number. Then Kyler Murray followed it this season with 11.6. And it's not merely one program managing that type of number, because Tua followed with 11.2.

BTW, if you're going to knock or nitpick Tua Tagovailoa, do yourself a favor and find another venue. You'll be laughed at here. Slimm is often overly kind to Tua detractors. I don't have to worry about that.

Quarterbacks who can create space and reinvent the pocket are changing the dynamic of the game. I am aware of that but I still have to jolt myself. It doesn't matter if Kyler Murray has some weaknesses. The fact that he is a lightning jitterbug out there is going to drive NFL defenses nuts.

Haskins does not fit. Not close. Not an athlete. J-off-her-doll pointed out correctly in the Draft Forum that Haskins has the Jared Goff makeup of needing top level calm surroundings. Haskins and Goff can look as bad as Tannehill if things are going wrong. I actually believe Haskins can have some JaMarcus Russell moments early in his career if forced to throw from a collapsing pocket on a lousy team. But the difference is that both of those guys have extreme upside if things are in great shape around them, while Tannehill is like a racehorse who trots along in the middle of the pack no matter if it's a claiming race or major stakes. No comprehension that he's allowed to be great.

I'm not sure I'll ever post here again if we draft Daniel Jones, he of the 6.6 YPA in 2016, 5.9 in 2017 and 6.8 in 2018. One game after another below 5 YPA and sometimes below 4 YPA. He is another one of those tape guy sucker specials because he looks the part.

The rules reward the passing game. Passer rating jumped across the league this year. Currently there is too much spotlight on the offensive line and specifically the teams remaining in the playoffs. Don't be fooled by that. It is not a priority position. It is a position in which lower drafted guys excel. The Dolphins have simply been inept at identifying that type. But no reason a trend like that should persist.

Get the quarterback. Don't be afraid to go the Kizer or Rosen route of trying once then seizing an immediate upgrade a year later.

Miami can't be stuck in conventional wisdom stupidity that building a team piece by piece is the way to go. That quarterback erases mistakes elsewhere on the roster, and once you have him it is amazing relaxation and clarity, improving decision making all year long.

I would like the new quarterback to announce the return to the old logo. Only proper.

Great post. We got three straight years to get a good prospect at QB. Murray this year. Tua next year. Lawrence two years. We have to get one of them somehow. I'd prefer Tua but I'd gladly take any of them.

I see getting ANOTHER QB to throw in the mix as a priority, but not necessarily getting THE QB.

Why take that position on the QB position? You wouldn't do that with any other position. It like us not having a DE and just drafting one with the thought that he isn't very good.

Here is how I see it:

If our GM and coaching staff are on the same page regarding a QB's evaluation and fit into whatever our scheme is, then go get him.

Otherwise wait for a target of opportunity that can be had with relatively little investment / draft a developmental QB.

The first priority should be strengthening both the offensive line and defensive line.

You would think that QB be priority #1 with Tannehill being ranked the WORST QB in the league by PFF. But still got to fortify the lines. Games are won in the trenches.

There’s more than 1 way to do it.. we need QB and strengthen OL DL. I think becomes simple. Let it play out. Don’t chase. It’s a 2 year rebuild. No need to overpay for anything. If 4 QBs fo early, and either you don’t love any or cost too high a helluva good player is dropping #13. Or possibly make a move down.
If Murray can be had for an additional 3rd- have to seriously consider it. Haskins will be long gone.

Ignorant? Saying they've spent over a decade trying to address the offensive line is just obvious. They've spent plenty FA $, and high draft picks. Some have worked, others havent. And its not like we havent seen good QBs play well and win with less than great lines. Rodger's packers, Big Ben until a few years ago, Wilson in Seattle. Luck made it to conf title game in 2014 on his back.

On a personal note, I seriously doubt you speak to people like this in real life, or you're missing several of your teeth. Every one of your posts is filled with venom towards people around here. If you hate this forum so much, just leave. Also, grow up.

So just draft a HOF quarterback or an all time great defense to compliment an offense that runs the ball over 50% of the time and the super bowls keep piling up right? Again, since you appear to be slow, just because you've missed on picks at a position doesn't mean you abandon common sense and continue to field wall-mart greeters at 3/5 positions on the offense line. Look at the colts, they have a generational talent at quarterback but couldn't block for him. They get a decent coach who drafts an all pro guard and starter at RT which cut their sack rate in half. It's a team game not a QBWINS league.BTW, Dan Marino was better than every single person you mentioned and won how many super bowls?

LOL! So you say something stupid, get called out for being stupid then lash out like some troglodyte internet tough guy? Take your low testosterone, beta male bullshit crying somewhere else. It's an absolute certainty that I'm better at everything in life in comparison to you but if it makes you feel better about your tiny penis to paint me as some sort of inbred or someone afraid to talk **** to lesser people, go right ahead. You're just some blowhard on a message board that doesn't know what he's talking about as evident by your incessant crying when you're exposed as having the football IQ equivalent of rainman. Not exactly a rare thing.

These run first quarterbacks have a definite advantage in college when they're typically the most athletic person on the field. Tua isn't that good when everyone is just as fast and neither is Kyler plus twice his size. Haskins has more potential of a pro unless he's devoid of any football IQ. Hell, I don't interview these kids or know what their playbooks are like, that's for the scouts and GMs. I wouldn't be trading up for any of these kids. The only person since the 80's I thought was worth trading up for was Andrew Luck but I'll be honest, I didn't pay attention to Mahomes because being a scout isn't my job. That dude is legit. A good staff and scouting department saw that and got their dude despite having a top 10-12 guy on the roster.

Point being is, you're totally wrong. if you can't block, you can't win. You don't need world beaters but you also can't have 3/5 positions being guys off the street.

So well said. If you hit you also open the window to success for 10 or more years. Everyone has changed around Tom Brady and yet New England is in the running every year.

Brady was carried for the better part of the first half of his career and was allowed to develop. He's also got the best coach of all time and his TEAM wins without him consistently. Brady any where else is a scrub and also highlights how you can win with a 6th round QB with a good team, not that you need to draft a quarterback every year.

We have to do things 100% differently than we've done at QB. We have to get a capable back up and a #1 franchise type guy. Look at the Eagles, they can't wait to get rid of the guy that won them the SB last season because they have there next 10 years at QB solved. BTW, Haskins looks like an excellent QB and I would love to have a guy like that to go into battle with. The Dolphins have been going into battle with a scared 1st time Head Coach and a QB that chokes the moment the game is on the line. Why are we crap on the road?? Are you freaking kidding me? Gase NEVER had the team ready to play and his buddy Burke was an abomination. I'm still shocked that after reviewing his tenure with Miami any team would give him a job. He's lucky he's friends with Peyton Manning. He'll bomb in NY for sure! His agent is a super star though and he'll keep bouncing around until everyone is over his overrated butt.

So just draft a HOF quarterback or an all time great defense to compliment an offense that runs the ball over 50% of the time and the super bowls keep piling up right? Again, since you appear to be slow, just because you've missed on picks at a position doesn't mean you abandon common sense and continue to field wall-mart greeters at 3/5 positions on the offense line. Look at the colts, they have a generational talent at quarterback but couldn't block for him. They get a decent coach who drafts an all pro guard and starter at RT which cut their sack rate in half. It's a team game not a QBWINS league.BTW, Dan Marino was better than every single person you mentioned and won how many super bowls?

LOL! So you say something stupid, get called out for being stupid then lash out like some troglodyte internet tough guy? Take your low testosterone, beta male bullshit crying somewhere else. It's an absolute certainty that I'm better at everything in life in comparison to you but if it makes you feel better about your tiny penis to paint me as some sort of inbred or someone afraid to talk **** to lesser people, go right ahead. You're just some blowhard on a message board that doesn't know what he's talking about as evident by your incessant crying when you're exposed as having the football IQ equivalent of rainman. Not exactly a rare thing.

I love that you question everyone's "Football knowledge", yet your takes throughout this thread are rudimentary. "keep drafting linemen and also Trevor Lawrence is good, draft him." Thanks for the insight. I'm still trying to figure how it is that you have actually think Miami hasn't attempted to address the offensive line position. This is where all this started, you questioned my intelligence because I made that very obvious statement. At one time, they fielded 4 first rounders on the unit at one time. Is this your solution? Continue to pour high picks along the offensive line? It hasn't worked. Many teams find linemen and develop them. Jimmy Johnson openly laughed at the idea of drafting linemen high, and built the best offensive line in league history. Meanwhile, they invest in A SINGLE guy to play the single most position in sports, bring in no competition even after 20 games missed due to injury. Yeah thats the way to to do it.

Also, dont throw that QBWINZ crap at me, I used the QB's I did as examples (Rodgers, Big Ben, Luck, Wilson) because they're exceptional at their positions and lead great offenses, despite line play, at times throughout their careers.

I can't even begin to respond to the rest of this. Your insults are stupid, man.

Last edited:
These run first quarterbacks have a definite advantage in college when they're typically the most athletic person on the field. Tua isn't that good when everyone is just as fast and neither is Kyler plus twice his size. Haskins has more potential of a pro unless he's devoid of any football IQ. Hell, I don't interview these kids or know what their playbooks are like, that's for the scouts and GMs. I wouldn't be trading up for any of these kids. The only person since the 80's I thought was worth trading up for was Andrew Luck but I'll be honest, I didn't pay attention to Mahomes because being a scout isn't my job. That dude is legit. A good staff and scouting department saw that and got their dude despite having a top 10-12 guy on the roster.

Point being is, you're totally wrong. if you can't block, you can't win. You don't need world beaters but you also can't have 3/5 positions being guys off the street.
Tua isn’t even a “run first” type of qb he’s mobile in the pocket with escapabilty but he’s not like Murray who takes off and runs when he feels pressure. He only runs if all his other options are taken or if that’s the way the play was designed.

Brady was carried for the better part of the first half of his career and was allowed to develop. He's also got the best coach of all time and his TEAM wins without him consistently. Brady any where else is a scrub and also highlights how you can win with a 6th round QB with a good team, not that you need to draft a quarterback every year.
That's pretty harsh. True, Brady was more of a game manager early in his career when New England had an outstanding defense. But Brady carried that 2007 team. At least IMO that team didn't have a great defense, but the offense got them to the super bowl. How would he have fared elsewhere is a legitimate question.

Back
Top Bottom