Is Grier a good GM? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Grier a good GM?

I give him high marks for tearing it down and accumulating draft capital. But what good does it do to have all this draft capital and not have any imagination to move up and down in the draft? This needs to be a draft that he nails and gets playmakers, some difference makers.

3 first rounders and 2 second rounders last year. All of them but Noah played significantly, but jury still out on all of them. Some promise, however with that draft capital you have to strike gold.

Grier is Okay, good enough to for the Dolphins to be Okay. I feel you need to pair that with an A to A+ level Qb (you can say that for a lot of other GMs too). Without that, we're right back to where we started three years ago - tearing down a mediocre team to build backup another mediocre team.

It’s been said by others before, but I don’t think it’s fair to fully judge Grier on anything except for what’s transpired after the likes of Tannenbaum left.

Pretty much most of the decisions Grier has made the past 18 months or so have been quite good. That’s when this turnaround essentially began.

The 2020 draft is the only one we know for sure he was largely responsible for. And so far it looks pretty good. The 2020 FA acquisitions and extensions also look pretty damn good. The 2019 draft still looks pretty decent if we assume he and Flores made all those decisions too. Wilkins, Van Ginkel and Gaskin.

So considering all that, yes, he has been a very good GM this far. Let’s all hope it continues.
Plus he wasn't afraid to bring in talented evaluators, who were successful with other teams. Some people fear being outshined.

Also, Grier had a say in hiring Flores which looks like a potentially brilliant hire.

On the whole, I'd say his ability to evaluate talent is extremely suspect.
I looked at the drafts where he was the head of scouting under previous GMs. Horror show. Of course we have no way of knowing just how much influence Grier had on which players actually got picked by the team but my god the team was drafting maybe 1 good player per year under Ireland. Just about gave me PTSD looking at those names again.

In this buisness you're only as good as your recent results. He has 4 picks in the top 50 including the #3 overall. He faces another big test this draft. Last year's wasn't bad, but not yet have Tua, Austin Jackson, Noah Igbinoghene, Robert Hunt, Solomon Kindley or any other 2020 draft pick made All-Pro, nor have any of them made a Pro-Bowl, nor have any of them made the various All-Rookie teams, nor have any of them made any Top 25 Rookies list. It's early, and the jury is still out. We have high hopes for these guys ... but it's not like the Pittsburgh Steelers epic draft that got Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, and a host of other great HoF, All-Pro or Pro Bowl guys. In part, Grier will be defined by how the 2020 class evolves and grows.

In 2021, he has another big bag of picks, and another analysis will begin playing out. But ultimately, it looks like Grier got the Coach right, so now most eyes will focus on whether he got the QB right. If he nails that one, people will call him a good GM. If he doesn't, then it's going to be hard for people to discount that. But if it works out somewhere in the middle, then it will be the 2020 and 2021 draft classes that determine whether he was failure like Jeff Ireland (who has garnered a lot of praise in New Orleans) or a great success like Bobby Beathard. So, right now we think of Grier as the guy who drafted Laremy Tunsil and flipped him for multiple picks and one of them ended up being #3 overall ... so at this moment that sounds brilliant. If we miss on the #3 pick, that opinion will change.

Grier seems to have done a great job moving up and down the draft board to match value with need, and for that I give him kudos. Most of his picks seem not to be busts, so he gets credit there. It's great to see how he handles the disinformation campaign of the hot stove season. At the moment, thumbs up. But the jury is still out ... and that's usually the answer for a GM until he starts stringing together several HoF'ers, a string of All-Pro's, or a bunch of Pro-Bowlers. The GM saloon has a pianist at the door who is always playing, "What have you done for me lately?"

I think the real question is, “do Grier and Flo make a good team?”

i doubt a single player decision has been made without both working together coming to an agreement on who to sign and draft.

It sounded like Grier was also part of the weekly meetings about which players start week to week.

My answer would be “yes.” The proof is in the results. After an 0-7 start to last season, the Dolphins have gone 15-10 with 4 picks in the top 50, in good shape with the salary cap, and have the second youngest team in football. Flo has implemented a winning culture that is disciplined and and Miami has become an organization that players like play for.

Grier definitely has job security right now.

Last edited:
I'm still kind of messed on him. In the end I just want results and next year is the year we need to see that. He has some hits and misses but his biggest blunder was not trying to add on to the skill positions. I get building inside out, but he and Flo really ignored the talent we lacked at those positions
It wasn't a blunder, it was a conscious plan. The first we have had in years. You may not agree with the plan, but that's a different question.

Apparently you only acknowledge inside out is a thing. You don't really "get it". If you did, you wouldn't advocate picking players "willy nilly" without regard to the actual inside out plan.

Can't have it both ways. You can either have a long term vision, or you can have a "win now" attitude. Somewhere in between almost never works either long or short term.

I give him high marks for tearing it down and accumulating draft capital. But what good does it do to have all this draft capital and not have any imagination to move up and down in the draft? This needs to be a draft that he nails and gets playmakers, some difference makers.
You want him to "move up and down the draft" more?

That seems like an odd complaint, without a lot of very specific knowledge of how they had players ranked, and potential returns on offers not made.

Are you complaining about specific moves that completely disregard the overall philosophy, to have gotten skills last year?

If he get watson I give him above avg grade
That would be a huge mistake, IMO, given the likely cost. If it's a great deal, too good to pass up, then fine. I'm not on board with trading away 2 years of picks for any single player.

If they don't like Tua, draft another QB. If they do like TT, why do it at all?

Last edited:
In this buisness you're only as good as your recent results. He has 4 picks in the top 50 including the #3 overall. He faces another big test this draft. Last year's wasn't bad, but not yet have Tua, Austin Jackson, Noah Igbinoghene, Robert Hunt, Solomon Kindley or any other 2020 draft pick made All-Pro, nor have any of them made a Pro-Bowl, nor have any of them made the various All-Rookie teams, nor have any of them made any Top 25 Rookies list. It's early, and the jury is still out. We have high hopes for these guys ... but it's not like the Pittsburgh Steelers epic draft that got Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, and a host of other great HoF, All-Pro or Pro Bowl guys. In part, Grier will be defined by how the 2020 class evolves and grows.

In 2021, he has another big bag of picks, and another analysis will begin playing out. But ultimately, it looks like Grier got the Coach right, so now most eyes will focus on whether he got the QB right. If he nails that one, people will call him a good GM. If he doesn't, then it's going to be hard for people to discount that. But if it works out somewhere in the middle, then it will be the 2020 and 2021 draft classes that determine whether he was failure like Jeff Ireland (who has garnered a lot of praise in New Orleans) or a great success like Bobby Beathard. So, right now we think of Grier as the guy who drafted Laremy Tunsil and flipped him for multiple picks and one of them ended up being #3 overall ... so at this moment that sounds brilliant. If we miss on the #3 pick, that opinion will change.

Grier seems to have done a great job moving up and down the draft board to match value with need, and for that I give him kudos. Most of his picks seem not to be busts, so he gets credit there. It's great to see how he handles the disinformation campaign of the hot stove season. At the moment, thumbs up. But the jury is still out ... and that's usually the answer for a GM until he starts stringing together several HoF'ers, a string of All-Pro's, or a bunch of Pro-Bowlers. The GM saloon has a pianist at the door who is always playing, "What have you done for me lately?"
So far, I think Grier has done okay. I thought he did a great job with the rebuild. We have a nice, young core to build on. That said, I think this is the first draft in a long while that we aren't forced to fill a major hole. The gloves are off, and he can draft BPA. I haven't always been confident in our talent evaluation, but having 5 picks in the top 50 is exciting, and I am looking forward to seeing what we can do to raise the bar on this team.

Back
Top Bottom