Is Grier a good GM? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Grier a good GM?

If I remember my middle school math correctly, average is 8 -8. 10-6 is not average. Where did you go to school?
Are we talking about Grier or Flores coaching. Two very different things. I’ll repeat myself Grier is a below average Gm . Can he improve, sure but as of right now I hope Flores is the one calling the shots.

He’s been better than the last few guys we had - Ireland, Hickey, Tannebaum - better at the financial management part of it, better trades, better at FA selection, about the same (which is a grade of “meh”) at drafting.
It’s all about drafting and so far he’s been below average.

what about Justin Jefferson? he went 4 picks after Austin Jackson. So, lets pretend we picked him last year- when WR was a big need for us- it would have opened us up at 3 to select the BPA. Whether that be an O lineman, WR etc. The jackson pick hurt us more than meets the eye.
2017 draft I was screaming for Buddha baker or tj watt. Son of donkey drafts Charles Harris. I think I cried that night.

Last edited:
what about Justin Jefferson? he went 4 picks after Austin Jackson. So, lets pretend we picked him last year- when WR was a big need for us- it would have opened us up at 3 to select the BPA. Whether that be an O lineman, WR etc. The jackson pick hurt us more than meets the eye.
Fair enough... I pointed out the passing on those RBs because Noah didn't even play. If you want to really put the clamps on Grier the first round should've/ could've looked like

5 - Justin Herbert
18 - Justin Jefferson
30 - Jonathan Taylor

Fair enough... I pointed out the passing on those RBs because Noah didn't even play. If you want to really put the clamps on Grier the first round should've/ could've looked like

5 - Justin Herbert
18 - Justin Jefferson
30 - Jonathan Taylor
That makes me wanna die Look at that 3 vs what we really walked away with Grier better be gone after next season

I believe they drafted Iggy because of X's injury and contract status. X even said how torn up his knee was and he was not sure how he would be.
The Def scheme needs DB's. So I understand the pick. He was also the youngest guy in the league and thrown in to fast. Way to early to call him a
bust or a bad pick.
As far as other picks last year, most everyone was screaming to rebuild the O line, he did. Passed on RB, but some positions had to give.
So for now, I will say he is good, last years guys need to take the next step and have to see how things go this year

5 - Justin Herbert
18 - Justin Jefferson
30 - Jonathan Taylor
Hindsight is 20/20

IMO the best thing since Grier took over is our cap management and flexibility. It's easy to say, "I would have taken this guy and I was right", but when you're in the GM seat your not just making picks. It's not all about drafting or FAs or cap management. It's all of that together. You're also getting players a coach or an owner wants. All the blame is on you in the end, but reality is that the successful GMs are being collaborative.

Hindsight is 20/20
agree with you but at the same time, those were basically gimme picks. Like you had a glaring need at those positions and those guys available were all among the top 3 at their repsective positions. Jackson was a projected 2nd/3rd, Noah im not even sure. Just makes it sting even more that we really went away from conventional wisdom in a draft where an 8 year old could have done the right thing.

agree with you but at the same time, those were basically gimme picks. Like you had a glaring need at those positions and those guys available were all among the top 3 at their repsective positions. Jackson was a projected 2nd/3rd, Noah im not even sure. Just makes it sting even more that we really went away from conventional wisdom in a draft where an 8 year old could have done the right thing.
I was happy with the first 2 picks at the time. I am still thinking they were good picks. Didn’t know then that Herbert and Jefferson would be this good. The only pick I did not like was Noah. I wanted Jonathan Taylor.

Last year was the first promising year in some time but with all our draft capital 1st round picks how many pro bowlers do we have to show for it. All rookie team. Flores is a good coach but Grier not sold on him. Grier has alot to prove.
Raekwon Davis was selected to Rookie all pro team.

Last edited:
I was happy with the first 2 picks at the time. I am still thinking they were good picks. Didn’t know then that Herbert and Jefferson would be this good. The only pick I did not like was Noah. I wanted Jonathan Taylor.
i hope you are right. I can't say enough how poor of a lineman i think Jackson is but we will see and again, i hope i am wrong. I think best case scenario we drafted a lineman at 18 , who's ceiling is "serviceable".

i hope you are right. I can't say enough how poor of a lineman i think Jackson is but we will see and again, i hope i am wrong. I think best case scenario we drafted a lineman at 18 , who's ceiling is "serviceable".
Nobody saw Jefferson as the best WR in the class. Everything I read had Jeudy and Lamb ahead of him. When Lamb went to Dallas I was disappointed, because I thought we would take him. At that point I thought, OK take Jackson. It is very easy to now say Jefferson was the right pick. Wasn’t that easy a year ago.

Nobody saw Jefferson as the best WR in the class. Everything I read had Jeudy and Lamb ahead of him. When Lamb went to Dallas I was disappointed, because I thought we would take him. At that point I thought, OK take Jackson. It is very easy to now say Jefferson was the right pick. Wasn’t that easy a year ago.
There were a few analysts that had Jefferson 1 or 2 for what its worth. you and i can play the hindsight game, GM's and scouts get paid the big bucks to be good enough to avoid this. Grier and Co simply didn't. nothing we can do , lets see the haul in the upcoming draft and hopefully learn from our mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom