Is it Down to these Five? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it Down to these Five?

Assuming Miami stays at #3, or around that spot, is it down to these five?

Chase
Smith
Sewell
Waddle
Pitts

I know there's some talk of Wilson or Fields, but I just don't see the Dolphins taking another quarterback. Now, if Watson becomes available that's another story. Parsons is a potential add to the list, but I think only if Miami moves down. In other words, just don't see it at #3.
I would want to get one of those 5 guys with the Fins 1st pick be it at #3 or hopefully a bit lower.

Parsons might make the list as well depending on how far down they move(if they do)and what they think of the kid's character.

Waddle is still walking wobbly as of 3-1-21. Hes not through with his rehab obviously. I personally would not do the hurt player in first round again I think it was not good for either dolphin qb this year. Receiver has to be addressed in free agency regardless who's behind center and even center needs to be addressed in free agency.

It's just so hard to predict durability.

Jake Long had no injuries in college and, after two very impressive seasons in Miami, injuries took their toll and ended what could have been a great career. Frank Gore had that big injury in college, dropping him to the third round, and he's had a long, productive career.

All things being equal, you go with the bigger guy. But the thing that stands out to me with Smith is his easy separation. He has that gliding, easy speed that can fool people. I was impressed with how he stepped up his game when Waddle went down. All the attention on him and he was up to the task. I think he has everything you look for except size. If he were 15 pounds heavier, I don't think people would be talking about it.

Don't know if Smith will ultimately be better than Chase or Waddle. But I'd love to pair him with either guy. That would be a winning draft.
I think Smith will be an excellent second WR on a really good team.

If we could land him at 18... and then Terrance Marshall at 2a, I think we'd be set for a long time. I think Smith will be an inside/outside guy who moves all over the field creating matchups, what I don't think he'll be... is dominant.

Waddle is still walking wobbly as of 3-1-21. Hes not through with his rehab obviously. I personally would not do the hurt player in first round again I think it was not good for either dolphin qb this year. Receiver has to be addressed in free agency regardless who's behind center and even center needs to be addressed in free agency.
Generally... most doctors will tell you that it is better to break your ankle (as Waddle did) than sprain it. They generally heal cleaner and with no long term issues.

I think Smith will be an excellent second WR on a really good team.

If we could land him at 18... and then Terrance Marshall at 2a, I think we'd be set for a long time. I think Smith will be an inside/outside guy who moves all over the field creating matchups, what I don't think he'll be... is dominant.
I don't know. His tape is dominant.

I had Chase as my #1 guy, until I saw what Smith did when Waddle went down and all the attention went to him. Now, I know Alabama has NFL caliber talent everywhere and that has to be factored in.

I also think it's almost a flip of the coin between Smith, Chase and Waddle. Depends what you are looking for.

I would want to get one of those 5 guys with the Fins 1st pick be it at #3 or hopefully a bit lower.

Parsons might make the list as well depending on how far down they move(if they do)and what they think of the kid's character.
Yeah, that would be my list for Miami. We'll see what free agency brings, but with all the talent at wide receiver in the draft, I'd look to fill other positions there.

I don't know. His tape is dominant.

I had Chase as my #1 guy, until I saw what Smith did when Waddle went down and all the attention went to him. Now, I know Alabama has NFL caliber talent everywhere and that has to be factored in.

I also think it's almost a flip of the coin between Smith, Chase and Waddle. Depends what you are looking for.
Hey... I'm wrong a lot.

...and I may be wrong this time too. That's ok... Unless I am posting contract numbers or some sort of NFL tabulated stat, everything else that I write is merely opinion... no matter how strongly that I phrase it.

All of that said...

I have Smith as a #2 WR, Waddle as potentially the best slot in the NFL, and Chase as a pure #1 WR (though shorter than I like). I think all of them will be good, but I think Bateman and Marshall will likely be good too... and a few others. To me, the one who stands out... is Waddle.

I think he may fall behind Chase and Waddle b/c there will always be some that will live in the past and evaluate primarily on measurables, but I don't see Smith falling that far b/c the tape is that good. Reality is that players have always dropped for foolish reasons. Russel Wilson's tape proved him to be one of the best QBs in his draft, but foolish teams dropped him for his height. Eventually most everybody realized that knocking a QB b/c he wasn't 6'2" was a dumb way to evaluate. Reality is that the game changes and beliefs change. The teams that don't change their thinking will be behind. Fortunately, I think Flores does understand that. When Flores was asked about Smith's size I read his reaction as annoyance that people kept bringing up such stupidity when the guy was so obviously a great player. But I tend to see the size thing brought up more by fans and media rather than players and coaches. From players I see things like Chad Ochocinco saying the size questions were ridiculous b/c he played at 175 most of his career. So you may have some FO guy who's worried about his job drop Smith b/c he wants to be able to say that he checked some boxes, but I don't think it'll be many.
I've spent a lot of time looking at wide receivers in this draft. Specifically, I've really honed in on separation as that is a huge need for Miami. A wide receiver that gives them more than the 50/50 wins.

Smith really stands out in that area. He almost always has two strides, at least, on whoever is covering him. I know part of that could be attributed to the offensive line at Alabama, giving Jones a little more time to throw the ball. But Smith is almost immediately open. He is virtually uncoverable by SEC corners.

I don't really care about the size, but I'm sure some scout will. I also wouldn't doubt if he weighs less than the listed 175.

Hey... I'm wrong a lot.

...and I may be wrong this time too. That's ok... Unless I am posting contract numbers or some sort of NFL tabulated stat, everything else that I write is merely opinion... no matter how strongly that I phrase it.

All of that said...

I have Smith as a #2 WR, Waddle as potentially the best slot in the NFL, and Chase as a pure #1 WR (though shorter than I like). I think all of them will be good, but I think Bateman and Marshall will likely be good too... and a few others. To me, the one who stands out... is Waddle.
We have something in common. I'm wrong a lot as well. I hope all these guys have great NFL careers, unless they play for the Jets, Bills or Patriots!

How do you see Pitts? Is he fourth on this list, behind Chase, Smith and Waddle?

We have something in common. I'm wrong a lot as well. I hope all these guys have great NFL careers, unless they play for the Jets, Bills or Patriots!

How do you see Pitts? Is he fourth on this list, behind Chase, Smith and Waddle?
He's a modern Tight End... he'll rarely block. Oh, he'll be willing, but the team that takes him won't waste him by giving him blocking assignments.

I know that some of the posters here like to get cute and claim these guys are not REAL Tight Ends, but they are just being pedantic. By position, he's a Tight End, and it looks like he'll be good... really good, but he'd have to become one of top 3 TEs in the league to justify a top 10 draft position, so even if you take him... at best, you break even on value.

That said, and the fact that our Tight End room is very well regarded means that I'm looking elsewhere unless he really slides... I'd consider him at 18, but I think he's gone by then.

I think he'll go just outside the top 10.

i will be disappointed if we don’t a) trade down; and b) end up with one of those four pass catchers
That is my goal as well.

Move down and pick up an early 2nd this year or hopefully a 1st in 22 and then get one of the top 4 pass catchers.

Back
Top Bottom