Is it Down to these Five? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it Down to these Five?

I don't know. His tape is dominant.

I had Chase as my #1 guy, until I saw what Smith did when Waddle went down and all the attention went to him. Now, I know Alabama has NFL caliber talent everywhere and that has to be factored in.

I also think it's almost a flip of the coin between Smith, Chase and Waddle. Depends what you are looking for.
I had Chase as my #1 WR in CFB last season, but I don't see him as the best fit for Miami. He would be fine right off the bat with a QB like Fitz who throws up 50/50 balls. But with a QB that expects you to get separation it will take more time. Tua can adapt to playing with guys like Parker, Gesicki and Chase, but you won't get that benefit of having all those YAC yards. That's part of what made Alabama's offense so dominant. You had fast WRs who got separation and an accurate QB to help maximize that. And that was before their OL gelled and Harris started rounding into form. Back then Saban knew his best offense was Tua and his receivers. They were nearly unstoppable b/c of that synergy between a QB who gets the ball out quickly and accurately and WRs who get quick separation.

Chad was done at 32.

And never was a great player. Good... very good even... but not fear inducing...

Why? His size didn't help.
Chad's skill set wasn't as good as Smith's. That was why he wasn't as good, not his size. It's why a guy like Antonio Brown was the best WR in the league. It's about skill set, not size. All the people who focus on measurables instead of elite traits are using the wrong criteria to predict greatness.

I don't care how good of a season that Smith had... there are some size flags on him that may cause him to drop a bit.

I know there are a lot of folks on THIS website that really love him, but there are a bunch of 'bama fans here, and a bunch of other fans who have heard nothing but Smith, Smith, Smith... for so long, they've been talked into him.

Hell... he may end up being very good... even a star... but the size questions will follow him until he proves that he can actually be a #1 WR in the NFL. ...and doubts cause players to slide.

Now... mock drafts are just an exercise... and not even all that accurate really, but Smith's position has been tending down week by week, and his immediacy advantage from playing in 2021 slips away.

I'm sorry, but taking him at #3 as the very first non-QB, when he is undersized is a foolish move. Out of that slot, you need to be better than an okay player. Taking him at 8 or 12 makes a bit more sense, but is still a risky move. If he slides into the bottom of the first, where undersized receivers actually start coming off of the board, then ok.
Not a Bama fan at all but have watched Smith play a ton. I just don't think some people really understand just how good Smith was last year. He may have just had the most dominating year ever by a WR in college history. Now look at in context as well. Remember he put up his #s on a 10 game all SEC regular season. Normally 8 SEC and 4 OOC. Also against Arkansas (big cupcake game) he barley played rested for SEC champ/playoffs. 117 receptions in a normal year in the SEC is crazy good. Also he didn't pad rec #s by catching a lot of dinck and dunk passes, averaged 15.9 per catch also (forgot the actual #) but it was like 78% of his catches went for a 1st or TD. Another crazy stat Smith has career drop rate of 2.9% couldn't find last year's. By comparison Chase has a 5.7% drop rate. Last season Smith caught 80% of all his targets.

Smith's #s are not just good, they are crazy good. The one negitve fir Smith is his wieght and that is it. And I get why people see his weight and get concerned. It is like a bit of sticker shock. Now you start really looking at that concern. People ask well can he handle NFL press coverage? Ok time to go back to the film. Also remember Smith played in the SEC not some low level football, pretty much the best DBs in college. Also of note Bamas WR room after Waddle went down was no where close to recent years. Metchie was the WR2 who had 5 receptions coming into the year and while a good WR he also was not you typical Bama 5*/top 100 guy coming out of HS. Now go look at the film against press coverage Smith dominated it, so much so that most teams stopped trying it. There us multiple reasons why Smith is goid against press. First he has great technique and route running. One reason that he us good against press is a physical trait that you can't teach and that is he has very good length for a WR. That length helps Smith negate the strength advantage if the CB. It allows Smith to keep the DB from getting into his body, he sheds the CB and goes by him.

Anyway I just think Smith does to many things at such a high level that the one red flag (weight) will keep him from being a great NFL WR. Or I guess I could just be wrong as well.

Not a Bama fan at all but have watched Smith play a ton. I just don't think some people really understand just how good Smith was last year. He may have just had the most dominating year ever by a WR in college history. Now look at in context as well. Remember he put up his #s on a 10 game all SEC regular season. Normally 8 SEC and 4 OOC. Also against Arkansas (big cupcake game) he barley played rested for SEC champ/playoffs. 117 receptions in a normal year in the SEC is crazy good. Also he didn't pad rec #s by catching a lot of dinck and dunk passes, averaged 15.9 per catch also (forgot the actual #) but it was like 78% of his catches went for a 1st or TD. Another crazy stat Smith has career drop rate of 2.9% couldn't find last year's. By comparison Chase has a 5.7% drop rate. Last season Smith caught 80% of all his targets.

Smith's #s are not just good, they are crazy good. The one negitve fir Smith is his wieght and that is it. And I get why people see his weight and get concerned. It is like a bit of sticker shock. Now you start really looking at that concern. People ask well can he handle NFL press coverage? Ok time to go back to the film. Also remember Smith played in the SEC not some low level football, pretty much the best DBs in college. Also of note Bamas WR room after Waddle went down was no where close to recent years. Metchie was the WR2 who had 5 receptions coming into the year and while a good WR he also was not you typical Bama 5*/top 100 guy coming out of HS. Now go look at the film against press coverage Smith dominated it, so much so that most teams stopped trying it. There us multiple reasons why Smith is goid against press. First he has great technique and route running. One reason that he us good against press is a physical trait that you can't teach and that is he has very good length for a WR. That length helps Smith negate the strength advantage if the CB. It allows Smith to keep the DB from getting into his body, he sheds the CB and goes by him.

Anyway I just think Smith does to many things at such a high level that the one red flag (weight) will keep him from being a great NFL WR. Or I guess I could just be wrong as well.
I hate the way people keep saying "size" b/c it's really just weight. Reality is that he's taller than Chase and Waddle. And his catch radius is even greater b/c his arms are disproportionately long. He plays like a 6'6" WR.

Chad's skill set wasn't as good as Smith's. That was why he wasn't as good, not his size. It's why a guy like Antonio Brown was the best WR in the league. It's about skill set, not size. All the people who focus on measurables instead of elite traits are using the wrong criteria to predict greatness.
Heh!

OK... Smitty best WR ever. Oh MY GOD... hez so gud!

Now, that is fair... you stated your opinion, and allowed that you could be wrong. There are a few schmoos over in the draft area that I'd like you to speak to. Can you do that for me... teach them how to debate like an adult. That would be awesome!

I hate the way people keep saying "size" b/c it's really just weight. Reality is that he's taller than Chase and Waddle. And his catch radius is even greater b/c his arms are disproportionately long. He plays like a 6'6" WR.
I don't kniw if it is a good thing ir bad thing when it comes to overall weight cause he is thin no matter what. But he just has a not so normal body type. Look at Smith standing next to Mac Jones. Mac is 6'3" while Smith is 6'1" but Smiths waist line is higher then Jones. Smith has long legs and arms but a short torso. If he was a female super model people would say damn she has legs from here till tomorrow.

Or maybe he has some Kenyan in his family background haha.

Last edited:
I’m starting to lean towards Pitts. That kid isn’t just a TE he’s a jack of all trades at that receiver position. Could be this teams Kelce.
I love Pitts. I just wonder how Miami would use him? Would it cut into Gesicki's playing time, or would the Dolphins find a way to get both of them involved in the offense?

I love Pitts. I just wonder how Miami would use him? Would it cut into Gesicki's playing time, or would the Dolphins find a way to get both of them involved in the offense?
Double TE formations or use Pitts as a receiver in 4 Wr sets, kid can play both positions.

Double TE formations or use Pitts as a receiver in 4 Wr sets, kid can play both positions.

Yup, he can play tight, split, and wide, and block on bubble screens, He is all kinds of weapons, in addition to having like 90% catch rate and being a red zone target vertically and horizontally. I just wish there was a combine to confirm athleticism.

Now... what Chad was... was probably the biggest narcissist in the NFL's history. A selfish flake whose entire MO was look at me, look at me... which is what his comments today are all about. I was so great and I was light, Devonte can be like meeeeee...

Pfft... what a tool.

The biggest? Have TO, Irvin, Deion, OBJ, & Dez B been snapped out existence like in the MCU?

I hope Iggy can nail down the slot corner role. That's an area where Miami needs some dramatic improvement.

I guess the expectation should be four starters from those top 50 picks. Although, I could see Miami getting a rotational DT, like Marvin Wilson at #50.

The phins IMO really don't need Interior DL or TE.

They need a speedy WR, ORT, Factor back, & edge rusher

The phins IMO really don't need Interior DL or TE.

They need a speedy WR, ORT, Factor back, & edge rusher
I think DT is pretty far down the list of needs. But they could use a rotational player. Maybe someone who can play both end or tackle.

I don't expect the team to keep Godchaux.

Back
Top Bottom