Is it Down to these Five? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it Down to these Five?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Assuming Miami stays at #3, or around that spot, is it down to these five?

Chase
Smith
Sewell
Waddle
Pitts

I know there's some talk of Wilson or Fields, but I just don't see the Dolphins taking another quarterback. Now, if Watson becomes available that's another story. Parsons is a potential add to the list, but I think only if Miami moves down. In other words, just don't see it at #3.

Chase
Smith
Sewell
Waddle
Pitts

I know there's some talk of Wilson or Fields, but I just don't see the Dolphins taking another quarterback. Now, if Watson becomes available that's another story. Parsons is a potential add to the list, but I think only if Miami moves down. In other words, just don't see it at #3.

Pitts is not a consideration for me at #3.

So I’ll see your Jackson 5 and raise with my Fantastic 4

Pitts is not a consideration for me at #3.

So I’ll see your Jackson 5 and raise with my Fantastic 4
I would love to know how Miami views Pitts.

If you look at him as a receiver, and not competition for Geisicki at tight end, there's real value there. The question, to me, then becomes how does he rate with Chase, Smith and Waddle? Is he fourth on that list?

I still think the Dolphins trade down, with Carolina looking like maybe the best trading partner. At #8, I think most of those five will be gone. Maybe Pitts would be in that range? At that point, maybe Parsons would be in play?

Yeah I’d love to trade down to #8. Get a first and two seconds. Still get the playmaker at #8. Maybe use #18 and a second to move back up to 13 or 14 and get 2 playmakers.

Yeah I’d love to trade down to #8. Get a first and two seconds. Still get the playmaker at #8. Maybe use #18 and a second to move back up to 13 or 14 and get 2 playmakers.
I've seen some mocks that have Smith falling pretty close to that #18 spot. I don't see that happening, but you never know. Some players that we don't expect will drop and Miami has the ammo to pounce if it's a player like that.

I’d love to play it like that as well

-get our Chase/Smith/Waddle/Pitts at 8
-and then be able to trade up from 18 for any of them that fall in range

say screw it at 2a and grab Javonte Williams, I’m guessing Harris and Etienne will be gone. Once the run on them starts don’t let it happen like last year and miss all the top talent

after that it’s up in the air, look to add OL, LB, DB probably...

we COULD knock this draft out of the park... but hey if finheaven were drafting instead of Grier all the time we’d be better off anyways lol

I’d love to play it like that as well

-get our Chase/Smith/Waddle/Pitts at 8
-and then be able to trade up from 18 for any of them that fall in range

say screw it at 2a and grab Javonte Williams, I’m guessing Harris and Etienne will be gone. Once the run on them starts don’t let it happen like last year and miss all the top talent

after that it’s up in the air, look to add OL, LB, DB probably...

we COULD knock this draft out of the park... but hey if finheaven were drafting instead of Grier all the time we’d be better off anyways lol
That #50 pick looks more and more interesting as I start getting into mock drafts. Lots of talent should still be on board.

I think Miami could get four starters from this draft.

Chase
Smith
Sewell
Waddle
Pitts

You'd think so but you never know what our team will do. I'd go playmaker if we stay at 3 or if we move back. Either way I'd go playmaker cause right now we don't have any. We already have a 1st round LT

That #50 pick looks more and more interesting as I start getting into mock drafts. Lots of talent should still be on board.

I think Miami could get four starters from this draft.
with 4 picks in the top 50 we should get 4 starters but we'll see what they do. Last year we took a corner that had no chase of starting.

with 4 picks in the top 50 we should get 4 starters but we'll see what they do. Last year we took a corner that had no chase of starting.
I hope Iggy can nail down the slot corner role. That's an area where Miami needs some dramatic improvement.

I guess the expectation should be four starters from those top 50 picks. Although, I could see Miami getting a rotational DT, like Marvin Wilson at #50.

I've seen some mocks that have Smith falling pretty close to that #18 spot. I don't see that happening, but you never know. Some players that we don't expect will drop and Miami has the ammo to pounce if it's a player like that.
I don't care how good of a season that Smith had... there are some size flags on him that may cause him to drop a bit.

I know there are a lot of folks on THIS website that really love him, but there are a bunch of 'bama fans here, and a bunch of other fans who have heard nothing but Smith, Smith, Smith... for so long, they've been talked into him.

Hell... he may end up being very good... even a star... but the size questions will follow him until he proves that he can actually be a #1 WR in the NFL. ...and doubts cause players to slide.

Now... mock drafts are just an exercise... and not even all that accurate really, but Smith's position has been tending down week by week, and his immediacy advantage from playing in 2021 slips away.

I'm sorry, but taking him at #3 as the very first non-QB, when he is undersized is a foolish move. Out of that slot, you need to be better than an okay player. Taking him at 8 or 12 makes a bit more sense, but is still a risky move. If he slides into the bottom of the first, where undersized receivers actually start coming off of the board, then ok.

I think he may fall behind Chase and Waddle b/c there will always be some that will live in the past and evaluate primarily on measurables, but I don't see Smith falling that far b/c the tape is that good. Reality is that players have always dropped for foolish reasons. Russel Wilson's tape proved him to be one of the best QBs in his draft, but foolish teams dropped him for his height. Eventually most everybody realized that knocking a QB b/c he wasn't 6'2" was a dumb way to evaluate. Reality is that the game changes and beliefs change. The teams that don't change their thinking will be behind. Fortunately, I think Flores does understand that. When Flores was asked about Smith's size I read his reaction as annoyance that people kept bringing up such stupidity when the guy was so obviously a great player. But I tend to see the size thing brought up more by fans and media rather than players and coaches. From players I see things like Chad Ochocinco saying the size questions were ridiculous b/c he played at 175 most of his career. So you may have some FO guy who's worried about his job drop Smith b/c he wants to be able to say that he checked some boxes, but I don't think it'll be many.

I think he may fall behind Chase and Waddle b/c there will always be some that will live in the past and evaluate primarily on measurables, but I don't see Smith falling that far b/c the tape is that good. Reality is that players have always dropped for foolish reasons. Russel Wilson's tape proved him to be one of the best QBs in his draft, but foolish teams dropped him for his height. Eventually most everybody realized that knocking a QB b/c he wasn't 6'2" was a dumb way to evaluate. Reality is that the game changes and beliefs change. The teams that don't change their thinking will be behind. Fortunately, I think Flores does understand that. When Flores was asked about Smith's size I read his reaction as annoyance that people kept bringing up such stupidity when the guy was so obviously a great player. But I tend to see the size thing brought up more by fans and media rather than players and coaches. From players I see things like Chad Ochocinco saying the size questions were ridiculous b/c he played at 175 most of his career. So you may have some FO guy who's worried about his job drop Smith b/c he wants to be able to say that he checked some boxes, but I don't think it'll be many.
Chad was done at 32.

And never was a great player. Good... very good even... but not fear inducing...

Why? His size didn't help.

Now... what Chad was... was probably the biggest narcissist in the NFL's history. A selfish flake whose entire MO was look at me, look at me... which is what his comments today are all about. I was so great and I was light, Devonte can be like meeeeee...

Pfft... what a tool.

I don't care how good of a season that Smith had... there are some size flags on him that may cause him to drop a bit.

I know there are a lot of folks on THIS website that really love him, but there are a bunch of 'bama fans here, and a bunch of other fans who have heard nothing but Smith, Smith, Smith... for so long, they've been talked into him.

Hell... he may end up being very good... even a star... but the size questions will follow him until he proves that he can actually be a #1 WR in the NFL. ...and doubts cause players to slide.

Now... mock drafts are just an exercise... and not even all that accurate really, but Smith's position has been tending down week by week, and his immediacy advantage from playing in 2021 slips away.

I'm sorry, but taking him at #3 as the very first non-QB, when he is undersized is a foolish move. Out of that slot, you need to be better than an okay player. Taking him at 8 or 12 makes a bit more sense, but is still a risky move. If he slides into the bottom of the first, where undersized receivers actually start coming off of the board, then ok.
It's just so hard to predict durability.

Jake Long had no injuries in college and, after two very impressive seasons in Miami, injuries took their toll and ended what could have been a great career. Frank Gore had that big injury in college, dropping him to the third round, and he's had a long, productive career.

All things being equal, you go with the bigger guy. But the thing that stands out to me with Smith is his easy separation. He has that gliding, easy speed that can fool people. I was impressed with how he stepped up his game when Waddle went down. All the attention on him and he was up to the task. I think he has everything you look for except size. If he were 15 pounds heavier, I don't think people would be talking about it.

Don't know if Smith will ultimately be better than Chase or Waddle. But I'd love to pair him with either guy. That would be a winning draft.

Back
Top Bottom