Is it possible that Reshad Jones being shopped?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by broccoli rob, Mar 13, 2018.

1. broccoli rob

broccoli rob proud of your boy

Hypothetical, but here is my logic behind it:

- Consensus is that big move(s) are to come. Fins ate up a lot of the Jarvis money bringing in Wilson and Amendola.

- The storyline being pushed in the media is culture change *which seems to hold up*, but the underlying theme would be recognition of future commitments to questionable types.

- Back to culture change. Who, outside of Wake, has been around longer and should have more respect than Reshad? He's produced at a very high level since '12 and how much have we heard about him being a leader on defense? I've heard of his leadership about as much as Suh.

- Speaking of leadership, Miami selected Michael Thomas as one of the 2017 team captains last season. Reshad and Ryan were the two exclusions from 2016. Yes, Reshad missed time, but not on IR! Suh was actually in this group! Reshad has been producing on this team quite a while. He was't on IR. Perhaps injured players aren't selected team captains? This point is fishy as i'm no team captain expert (my team hates me tbh), but Reshad played last year and Miami had Suh and Thomas as captains over him. Suh is gone and Miami just resigned Walt Aikens > Thomas. Some team captains! And they wonder why they have culture problems lol

- Reshad is another one with a freshly minted contract. A future commitment. Is he a questionable type? Better hope not, because Miami is scheduled to give this man 15M next year, 13.5 in 2020, and 13 in 2021. at 33.

- The Dolphins seemed mighty eager to sign TJ McDonald early last year. Could this be another move thats been in the making? Suh's had his house on the market since Feb, btw. Most know TJ would be better off at SS or even at LB than what happened last year.

- His value. If you are looking for a bargaining chip, whether its to move up, whether its a player you covet, or whether its a 2019 draft pick you want to set yourself (or your successor) up w/, Sashi Brown style: Reshad is your guy.

- Who on this team would possibly be expendable by replacing him with someone currently on the roster in another position, that could provide so much value, free up a cap burden, and give the Dolphins a little leverage where they currently have little to none sans future picks (as far as trading and moving around in the draft is concerned).

This is all assuming the Dolphins front office actually has this (or even a) plan, and aren't a bunch of cons.

If there is legitimacy to this movement, I don't think Wake is moved. I think its Reshad.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

3. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Anything is possible. Not sure how much if any salary cap they free up if they trade him. I do know that with their current cap situation they need to make some more moves.

4. Laser13

Laser13 Well-Known Member

It could make a lot of sense for the reasons that you mentioned, and Miami possibly has had an eye on Derwin James all along in the draft.

Nothing would surprise me anymore.

5. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

They can't trade him before the draft..That would show the entire world that they want James or Mincah.

I also know Burke loves 3 S looks. So I still doubt Miami will get rid of their best one.

6. BIGTom-

BIGTom- Member

Next thing we hear is that they traded Reshad and a draft pick for Tavon Austin

7. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

I doubt it but anything's possible

8. broccoli rob

I agree, I believe the only way we see a Reshad Jones, or even a Ryan Tannehill trade for that matter, is on draft night if certain opportunities arise. Forgot to mention that but good call.

Generally curious how much say Burke has in personnel acquisitions or retentions. The latest i've heard regarding personnel is that Tannenbaum has taken a back seat to Grier and even Gase plays a larger role. In that case, maybe Burke will have some clout.

9. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

At this point nothing would surprise me. They could trade or cut Jones and there would be a story about locker room issues and whatnot. Attribute the cut/trade to culture change or wanting smarter players or whatever buzzword they want to throw out.

Bufeo and royalshank like this.
  10. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Arn't player trades on draft night super rare? I don't recall this occurring much at all.

11. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Jones doesn't have any impact on whether we draft Fitz or James.

12. broccoli rob

I would not put a n y t h i n g past this front office. Who tf knows who we see come and go before training camp! I just have a feeling the volatility is far from over. They are "shaking it up", I guess. Hope it works out.

13. broccoli rob

Patriots acquired Brandin Cooks last year for their 32. He could be used to help get up a few spots assuming they were looking to offload him/go get someone.

artdnj likes this.
  14. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Better not be.

royalshank likes this.
  15. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

No, it's not

Ozzy rules!!

16. broccoli rob

Everyone the Dolphins cut is an ignorant savage.

This offseason has me loopy and FA hasn't officially started yet. I'm still adjusting to the fact i'm rooting for Danny Amendola this year.

Not advocating, but it could be possible. I didn't want to see Juice go. or Ajayi. & I don't want to lose Reshad. Obviously a lot going on behind the scenes that even the media isn't privy to. Gase should be given some credit for having the offense improve after Ajayi left. Hopefully the move is to move Pouncey, that would provide far more benefit. Perhaps not as much $, but far more culture.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  17. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

Hope not. Gotta have a leader somewhere.

broccoli rob likes this.
  18. Viggen

Viggen Well-Known Member

They are pretty good getting 4ths for players, so anything is possible

19. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

There are certain players on the team that Gase wants to build the team around.

Kenny Stills, Andre Branch, Kiko Alonso, Reshad Jones are 4 of them based on last year's extensions.

20. iwastherein1972

iwastherein1972 Well-Known Member

Every move fits so far but Cody Parkey. Why Gase would not want to "build this team around" him, I have no idea.

I knew any Tannehill trade talk was nonsense. He is another Gase pillar.

21. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Blow up the entire 6-10 roster.

22. circumstances

circumstances Starter Finheaven VIP

I don't know if a kicker you signed as a free agent and played for you for one season can be included as a player to build around, but I'd have liked to have kept him as well.

Do we know what Chicago's offer was that he accepted?

23. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs UCF 13-0 Finheaven VIP Donator

Does he really? **** that'd be awesome. Derwin James playing alongside Reshad Jones seems like such a pipe dream, but would be awesome if it was a reality.

I've read that James is a natural leader, as well. Seems blue-chip all the way around.

Phinatic8u and Finuk like this.
  24. Finuk

Finuk FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He seems like a great player, and exactly the kind of guy the Dolphins needed in the locker room last season. With all the holes, would we go Safety? Assuming we don't go QB and he's still there at 11 I'd be very happy with him!

25. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

If anything he will be traded, not cut. We gain nothing on the salary by cutting him.

Jones' cap number in 2018 if he's with us is 11.6m. The options are:
    1) If we cut him right now, his 2018 cap number goes up to 17.1m (yes, his cap number is higher when he's not on the roster).
    2) If we cut him and designate him a post-June-1 cut, his cap number will be 11.6m in 2018 (no change) and 5.5 in 2019.
    3) If we trade him right now, his 2018 cap number goes down to 7.4m.
    4) If we trade him post June 1, his 2018 cap number will be 1.8m and 5.5 in 2019.

26. GEORGIA FIN

GEORGIA FIN FIN FOR LIFE

Nope, I firmly believe he is a big building block for the D. Mr. G5 will be here for a long time in my personal opinion.

27. Swollcolb

Swollcolb Active Member

He just restructured his contract so I’d say ZERO chance now

28. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

He restructured.

29. broccoli rob

Yep, this settles it. This is best case scenario, a win-win. He stay & does the team a solid.

They did go to him for cap relief, so perhaps this was a possibility if he refused? Either way, it worked out great & I think it could with JuWan James, as well, if they can come up with a reasonable long term deal.

30. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler

Jones is still a good player, I personally don't see it......and of course he just restructured.