Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense?

Miami is going to lose a lot of TOP battles this season mostly because Miami can actually score somewhat quickly now, chunk plays aren’t a major problem anymore. They aren’t Kansas City by any means but Miami has playmakers on offense, just wait until Gesicki gets into rhythm, fuller and Preston come back, Wilson gets more involved.

also Miami O-line isn’t that good at run blocking so they won’t be staying on the field longer that way.

Losing TOP will catch up with a D eventually

No. As long as they don’t score TDs, I don’t care how many yards teams put up against this defense. Settling for FGs or not scoring at all is ideal.

I'm not so sanguine about Miami's tendency to surrender yards and TOP.

The problem with bend-dont-break is that is relies on the condensed redzone field for our secondary and LBs to shine. But the good teams with great QBs - like Buff and KC - don't always wait till they're in the final 20 to score on you. If you let them march to your own 40 and they hit you with a bomb, you're just making life easy for them.

I'm not so sanguine about Miami's tendency to surrender yards and TOP.

The problem with bend-dont-break is that is relies on the condensed redzone field for our secondary and LBs to shine. But the good teams with great QBs - like Buff and KC - don't always wait till they're in the final 20 to score on you. If you let them march to your own 40 and they hit you with a bomb, you're just making life easy for them.
Brady and the Pats won 6 Suberbowls with the bend don't break defensive scheme. It's proven.

A few 3rd down conversations instantly corrects TOP. We left a few on the table. We'll take them all against the bills

Agree, but losing TOP 4 games in a row will weanen a D. Needs to be corrected

Losing TOP will catch up with a D eventually
Usually for defenses that don’t have an impact players or get turnovers. But it’s working for Miami because they’re getting turnovers, 23 straight games with a takeaway. Look at Kansas City, score quick, defense always on the field but they always get timely takeaways.

Brady and the Pats won 6 Suberbowls with the bend don't break defensive scheme. It's proven.
Evidently we're not the SB era Pats because last season we gave up a lot of points to the really good teams we played.

Same song when Dan was QB here defense wore down and then no running game either. Our offense on those 2 drives reminded me back of those days of big plays offense. Of course what it really takes to make it work you need to score more often than just 2 drives and then force the other team to try and keep up. That's what I was hoping after that first drive that we would score a couple more times and cause that rookie QB to force the ball down field and into mistakes. Instead we spuddered on offense no rythem imo hopefully not a sign of things to come. Flo gotta stay on top of that.

I get the feeling going against a rookie QB, in a division game against a top coach with a solid D, on the road, with a rookie LT who didn't practice at that position, led to a game plan to not give up any big plays. Flores was trying to win a close low scoring game which is exactly what happened. He didn't plan to use Gesicki much because of the need to help out the OL so trying to outscore the Pats wasn't in our best interest. And not for nothing, the defensive plan worked as it should. The only TD came after the stupid 15 yard penalty on Roberts. I reacted the same as everybody else seeing those short passes. Now this week, if I'm correct, you will see significant changes to our game plan. The D will have to take chances because Allen will get the Bills in the endzone if we allow them to move freely between the 20s. And with Jackson back or even with a game under Liam's belt at LT, and Fuller back, Flores knows our offense needs to score points to beat the Bills.

A few 3rd down conversations instantly corrects TOP. We left a few on the table. We'll take them all against the bills
You nailed it really,

We were only 4/11 on 3rd down conversions with just 16 first downs.

By contrast NE had 11/16 3rd down conversions with 24 first downs

Buffalo will chew us up if we let them have that many opportunities, we need to convert those 3rd downs and hang onto the ball longer!

I'm thinking (hoping?) we saw such a vanilla scheme on defense week 1 because Flo felt he could save the trickier stuff for the Bills in week 2. It worked, but barely.

I'm thinking (hoping?) we saw such a vanilla scheme on defense week 1 because Flo felt he could save the trickier stuff for the Bills in week 2. It worked, but barely.
I'm thinking the vanilla scheme was because of the rookie QB. Flores figured that somewhere in those 15 play drives that would be needed to score against us, that the rookie would make a mistake that derailed the drive. Its actually the way the Pats used to play against us. We used to move the ball but just at the wrong time, Gase would call for a stupid play that lost 6 yards or one of our dopey OL would commit a hold. I don't think you can use such a bland scheme against Allen.

I'm thinking the vanilla scheme was because of the rookie QB. Flores figured that somewhere in those 15 play drives that would be needed to score against us, that the rookie would make a mistake that derailed the drive. Its actually the way the Pats used to play against us. We used to move the ball but just at the wrong time, Gase would call for a stupid play that lost 6 yards or one of our dopey OL would commit a hold. I don't think you can use such a bland scheme against Allen.
We sure weren't vanilla against Herbert last year. That's what I was expecting we'd try to do to Jones. I'm holding out hope that Flo just didn't want the Bills to have tape of some new tricks.

Back
Top Bottom