Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense?

The problem with letting teams go back and forth between the 20s is that you cant get off the field quickly and youre losing the field position game.
Dolphins D was gassed and it took kind of a flukey play to save the game. Yeah, it was a great tackle on the ball but still very fortunate it A) came loose and B) was recovered by Miami.
New England was going in without that fumble and Dolphins O wouldn't have had that much time to score afterwards. Pats had that game in hand there until they literally didnt.
I told that to my friend sitting next to me. Our defense cant go back with no energy.
Lol! You worry and I’ll take the W’s.
Read the thread, smh.

The worry to me is the teams on our schedule begin game planning against us and based on the tape, If I’m them I’m not having any problem or matchups I’m worried about except X. There is not a fearsome element to the Dolphins, based on what we and they have seen. We should tighten up but we don’t look there yet.

The Most important Defensive stats to be in the top 4 or 5 in are:

-Points scored against
-3rd down conversions against (so get off the field on 3rd down)
-Takeaways or turnover ratio
-red zone defense conversion %

Those are the most important stats. Stopping the run, or failure to do so means that you will have a harder time with number 2 on that list (3rd down conversions) which will add to your trouble with number one (Points scored against) But it’s not necessarily the whole story.

We prevented the defense from converting drives into tds. I hope you read my thread because I pointed that out in a pre game post as I mentioned. Our linebackers dont do great in coverage downs in the open field but do a better job in the redzone with a smaller portion of the field with tighter help from the secondary.

I’m not worried about it. It was a game plan. It was designed to limit points, not yards. If we started to play closer to the line they would have had the play over the top they were looking for. I’m honestly surprised at how well the D held up.

Below is a post I made prior to this game in another thread from @Mach2. We are still having an issue with stopping the run, but we are stopping the run when it counts. New England was using a lot of twin tight end sets, and in some plays three wide receivers sets. This worked for them in the open field but once you get to the red zone there is less flexibility in the playbook. Our linebackers also play in a smaller range. With the type of defense deployment we run it seems like we give up a lot of yardage in the middle regardless if its passing, or rushing yards. We seem to be ok with that because we have two pro bowl corners, but because things change closer to the redzone we are able to take advantage really good on the field. This is why we are top 5 in points allowed in the League. There is nothing to worry about.

"
Original post js55

Is the scheme sacrifice. For example, 3-4 defenses typically focus on complex coverage and blitzing schemes, leaving some areas open to being exploiting if the offenses exploits the direction of the blitzing, or coverage. Think of
the Steelers which still run the Dick Lebeau system. Last year ranking?

Steelers: 11th rushing yards allowed
Dolphins: 16th rushing yards allowed

Steelers interceptions 1st in league
Dolphins interceptions 1st in league
+ 2 other teams tied for 1st

Sacks not including qb pressures

Steelers 1st in league
Dolphins 10th in league

forced fumbles

Dolphins 5th in league
Steelers 18th in league

Points allowed

Steelers 3rd in league
dolphins 5th in league

But the dolphins are 20th in the league in yards allowed a game? But they are allowing 5th fewest points? 10th in passing yards a game allowed? 17th in rushing yards allowed a game? Quite simply what
matters the most is a teams ability to not yield points, and scoring. Base on stats alone the dolphins are giving up yards, but they are preventing others teams from scoring when it counts. All that is driven by
our scheme of course. The scheme works, but don't let other numbers deceive you. However, one stat that I can't find the the time on field..

Base on the yards allowed a game one came come to an eye ball
guess that we are not spending the most time on the field as a defense, but we are also not staying out of the field as much as the higher ranked teams. There must be some kind of balance to allow players
to rest IMO, but that is an indirect result of playing that players don't generally have a direct focus on"
No. The only defensive stats that really matter are third down D (we sucked) and RZ D (we were great). The rest is just noise

It's bend don't break.

I think we saw the unsung critical piece in our design yesterday that almost made Dolphin Nation cry buckets. When Davis was down on the field, I think many of us realized just how vital he is to the D's design.

If you think our run defense is bad, we got a glimpse of it without him yesterday. Yowzers.

Bend don't break truly relies on the ability to rotate your lineman and keep everyone fresh. Lose Davis in that rotation and oh boy, this is a different discussion.

I didn't realize he is one of, if not the, tallest DL in the league. He is a "lean" big man. Its a testament to his conditioning that he is that lean to be that big. Dude is a specimen. And you can see why Flo was pumped on draft day when we got him.

We need 2 more Davis' on this DL. And another Ogbah. That dude is tall and lean too.

Ideally yes, they should be concerned. You don't want your defense on the field that much.

For one thing it limits your T.O.P. Secondly, it tires out your defense.

Last year we did the same thing. Gave up a lot of yards but not points. I don't think it's sustainable.

Trust in Coach Flo and Defensive Coordinator Josh Boyer. They know what they are doing. The Patriots at Foxboro aren't just any other team. This was a chess match between the all - time Defensive Master Coach (Belichick) with 47 years experience coaching in the NFL against two of his best and most attentive Defensive former pupils.
It was close and at times wasn't pretty, but with a 17 - 16 score, we walk away smiling with the chocolates. Full credit to Xavien Howard on making the game winning tackle that released the ball and complete the turnover. X has a flair for delivering at big moments.
I expect Miami to modify aspects of the defensive strategy, depending on the opponent. Also remember, losing our 6'7" 330 lb big dog, Raekwon Davis in the first 3 minutes of the game was probably a serious blow to Miami's Defensive game plan. Some of the adjustments probably meant more conservatism to avoid the risk giving up the big play.

As many posters have reminded me when I posted that the Dolphins defense last year gave up a lot of yards. At the end of the day the only defensive stat that really matters is points allowed. In that regards the Dolphins were near the top last season and yesterday they only gave up 1 TD.

Hopefully the offense will be able to remain on the field with longer drives over the course of the season
and give the defense more time on the sidelines. As long as the defense can limit the points they give up in the game, I’m not going to be concerned with how many yards they allow the opposing team.

We prevented the defense from converting drives into tds. I hope you read my thread because I pointed that out in a pre game post as I mentioned. Our linebackers dont do great in coverage downs in the open field but do a better job in the redzone with a smaller portion of the field with tighter help from the secondary.
Thus my point of scoring & red zone defense.

The worry to me is the teams on our schedule begin game planning against us and based on the tape, If I’m them I’m not having any problem or matchups I’m worried about except X. There is not a fearsome element to the Dolphins, based on what we and they have seen. We should tighten up but we don’t look there yet.
I hope they do gameplan off that tape. It was one of the most vanilla, atypical defensive formula I've ever seen from Flo.

While that may seem counterintuitive against a rookie in his first start, I understand it. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I can understand it.

Our defense will never lead the league in yards allowed, we bend, don't break and cause turnovers. This isn't the Zach Thomas Jason Taylor dominant man cover 2 unit.

Miami is going to lose a lot of TOP battles this season mostly because Miami can actually score somewhat quickly now, chunk plays aren’t a major problem anymore. They aren’t Kansas City by any means but Miami has playmakers on offense, just wait until Gesicki gets into rhythm, fuller and Preston come back, Wilson gets more involved.

also Miami O-line isn’t that good at run blocking so they won’t be staying on the field longer that way.

Back
Top Bottom