Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it right to be worried about how much yards we give up in defense?

Usually for defenses that don’t have an impact players or get turnovers. But it’s working for Miami because they’re getting turnovers, 23 straight games with a takeaway. Look at Kansas City, score quick, defense always on the field but they always get timely takeaways.
I would also add that our rotation on the interior line, and edge mitigates wearing down f the D.

Theres no reason DBs can't run all day long.

It's one game, you can worry all you need to but they are going to get better.

It's one game, you can worry all you need to but they are going to get better.
It isn't one game though. It was the same last year.

It also happens to be, at least in part, a result of the overall philosophy, not necessarily individual failures.

I think the gameplan was pretty much to force Mac Jones to beat us by giving him easy looks, focusing on run defense and not giving up many big plays.

The good news is Mac Jones played about as good a game as you can. Any other QB facing the same looks and gameplan probably wouldn't have had a much better stat line. Nothing he did or didn't do caused them to lose.

I think what really hurt us was not being able to go up by at least 10 second half. It meant we couldn't really focus on confusing Jones because their run game was still in play and a larger threat.

My point exactly. Red zone defense when it counts and points allowed not the open field. Now giving up a big play in the open field for s score is something rare for us to allow.
The ole "Bend, don't break" defense. Our defense spent a ton of time on the field 37 minutes and we couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. The Pats were 11/16 converting on 3rd down.

And yet, we held them to 16 points. I don't think we will get away with that against a high-powered offense. NE, is a great running team and we continue to struggle against the run.

We have a bend don't break philosophy it seems. The yards don't matter as long as the points don't get scored.

What worries me truly is actually the lack of scoring from the offense.

I think that it was reasonable to give up underneath and try to limit their explosive plays. the pats were basically running our offense of the last few years where to score we would need 15 play drives and had to execute everything perfectly which we all know is very hard to do.

Raiders, Falcons, Packers, Giants, Jags, Chiefs, Vikes, Colts , Titans, Rams, Lions, Chargers

All allowed more rushing yards than the Dolphins in week 1

Who cares, you don’t get points for yards. Scoring is the only thing that matters. Miami was 20th in yards allowed but 6th in points allowed. As for week 1 we were 17th in yards allowed and 7th for points allowed. Nothing to worry about.

Raiders, Falcons, Packers, Giants, Jags, Chiefs, Vikes, Colts , Titans, Rams, Lions, Chargers

All allowed more rushing yards than the Dolphins in week 1
We were ranked #20 in the NFL vs the run? Not something to celebrate imo. It's not 30th though.

I'm far more concerned about giving up 11/16 first downs on 3rd downs, that's really bad

We were ranked #20 in the NFL vs the run? Not something to celebrate imo. It's not 30th though.

I'm far more concerned about giving up 11/16 first downs on 3rd downs, that's really bad
I don't think anyone is celebrating. It's more of the sky really isn't falling. Some make it seem like we set the record for rushing yards allowed.

Not too concerned about yards in today's NFL. It happens. Big plays. Get sacks, tackles for loss, force turnovers, and when its 3rd down get off the field.

Points are more important than yards.

Only thing concerning from the New England game was the 3rd down defense. Too many 3rd and 5+ first downs allowed.

Back
Top Bottom