Is It Talent or Coaching!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is It Talent or Coaching!!

DolfanISS

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I've been pondering this quite a bit as of late and I'm very curious to know how other finheaveners feel about this. Who do you think has the most talent between Miami, Buffalo and the Jets?? This is kind of a loaded question becuase if you choose us, I ask who has the best coaching Miami, Buffalo or the Jets?? I can't imagine that better talent + better coaching = worst record, can anyone else? I'm curious to know what other posters feel is Miami biggest issue, talent or coaching? Do us Dolphins fans overrate the talent of this team or can the current coaches just not maximize it?? Do we have good players all around but 2 or 3 bad players who's deficincies we can not overcome?

The more I've thought about this I have to say I feel Eric Mangini in New York has done a mesterful job with the Jets. Maybe many other posters disagree with me but I don't feel the Jets have much talent, but they scheme very well and maximize what they have. I say major kudos to Mangini and his staff.

As far as our Dolphins go, it's my opinion that the issues with this team are talent all the way. I know the Bills have better talent and think us and the Jets are pretty close. We easily, without arguement, have the worst QB in the division (that's a given) and I think that's hurts our WR's very much. We have a TE that is probably the most overrated by the teams fans in the entire NFL. Our O-line is average, but not as big of an issue as the QB IMHO. On defense the front 7 is the strength in this team, especially the defensive lineman.

I think our coaching is a strength and feel we need look no further than the sceondary to prove it. I feel we've seen many plays where our DB's have good position but can't play the football for their lives.

What do you guys think???

It all comes down to poor Quarterback play. The best coaches in the world couldn't keep Joey from making dumb mistakes or cure poor accuaracy. If we had Brees or someone else decent we would be at the top of the division easily!

It all comes down to poor Quarterback play. The best coaches in the world couldn't keep Joey from making dumb mistakes or cure poor accuaracy. If we had Brees or someone else decent we would be at the top of the division easily!

So the QB play is screwing the whole team? Anyone else agree???

I think it's a lack of talent. No matter who our quaterback has been they haven't been consistent. Our offensive line has also been inconsistent, but getting better. It seems the right side is good but the talent on the left (especially Jacox) is lacking. No matter your feelings about Chambes, the fact is we don't have a game changing WR. We don't have that Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, or Steve Smith type wide out. On Defense, the biggest problem is the secondary. It seems our CB's just can't play the ball, which was evident in the Buffalo game.

I can't believe we're having these threads after not even two full seasons with Saban as our head coach.

Give it a flipping rest, people.

I can't believe we're having these threads after not even two full seasons with Saban as our head coach.

Give it a flipping rest, people.

Why don't you fully read his post? He has a legimate question as to why it seems this team can't win.

its the same thing it has always been: crappy QB. fiedler could not overcome crappy coaching and saban cannot overcome crappy harrington

Why don't you fully read his post? He has a legimate question as to why it seems this team can't win.

I did fully read his post. There's nothing there worth taking seriously, particularly the segment on Mangini. The Jets are winning with smoke and mirrors, not because of solid play. Pennington is tiring out and they don't have a consistently effective running game. We had them beat when we played them earlier this season--the fact that Mare sucks this year is the only reason why we lost.

Coaching is not the Dolphins' problem. Inconsistency is. One might argue that inconsistency is a result of bad coaching, except it's not the coaching staff's fault if the players look down at other teams, even when they aren't in a position to look down at anyone. And that's exactly what's happening, as casually admitted by a player in I believe a Miami Herald article a couple of weeks back. I'd link the thing if I could find it now.

And let's not forget the effect of injuries this season. Culpepper, Daniels, Brown, going through four Right Guards, and now we've lost Wilkinson as well.

I did fully read his post. There's nothing there worth taking seriously, particularly the segment on Mangini. The Jets are winning with smoke and mirrors, not because of solid play. Pennington is tiring out and they don't have a consistently effective running game. We had them beat when we played them earlier this season--the fact that Mare sucks this year is the only reason why we lost.

I can't believe you can just completely discount a team winning by saying it's smoke and mirrors and can't admit their coaching staff has done a very good job with what it has. Now, I dont expect the Jets to win the Super Bowl or even win a playoff game but I don't think anyone was ever expecting them to be in the playoff hunt in week 16. Furthermore it's laughable that you feel we had them beat when we played them considering the Jets led the whole game and the Dolphins played well in one quarter. Then you balme our kicker when our feeble comeback attempt set him up with a 50 yard field goal for the tie. So I take it you are a fan who feels we are better coached and have better players than the Jets and Bills yet a worst record. What's also funny is I stated the bigger issue was talent and you seem to feel I'm attacking the coaching.

Coaching is not the Dolphins' problem. Inconsistency is. One might argue that inconsistency is a result of bad coaching, except it's not the coaching staff's fault if the players look down at other teams, even when they aren't in a position to look down at anyone. And that's exactly what's happening, as casually admitted by a player in I believe a Miami Herald article a couple of weeks back. I'd link the thing if I could find it now.

And let's not forget the effect of injuries this season. Culpepper, Daniels, Brown, going through four Right Guards, and now we've lost Wilkinson as well

If we have players who are looking down on other teams while they play for this one, they should be cut January 1st no questions asked. How can anyone who plays for a team who hasn't seen the post season since 2001 look down on anyone?? Also injuries are part of the game, 31 other teams have had to deal with them as well.

I did fully read his post.

I find that hard to believe because!!!!

Coaching is not the Dolphins' problem.

From my original post!!

I think our coaching is a strength and feel we need look no further than the sceondary to prove it. I feel we've seen many plays where our DB's have good position but can't play the football for their lives.

You seem to think I was attacking coaching yet it's clearly stated here I consider it a strength.

I can't believe you can just completely discount a team winning by saying it's smoke and mirrors and can't admit their coaching staff has done a very good job with what it has. Now, I dont expect the Jets to win the Super Bowl or even win a playoff game but I don't think anyone was ever expecting them to be in the playoff hunt in week 16.

I'm not saying Mangini is a horrible coach. I'm saying to attribute the Jets' current season to the immediate effect of Mangini's arrival is just as wrong as attributing the Saints' current season to the arrival of Sean Payton.

Furthermore it's laughable that you feel we had them beat when we played them considering the Jets led the whole game and the Dolphins played well in one quarter. Then you balme our kicker when our feeble comeback attempt set him up with a 50 yard field goal for the tie.
How exactly is that not the definition of "outplayed?" Were we not outplayed when the Jets came back in the "Monday Night Miracle?" If we weren't, then what the hell was that?

What's also funny is I stated the bigger issue was talent and you seem to feel I'm attacking the coaching.
Except nowhere did I call you out for attacking the coaching. I'm taking issue with your classification of other teams' coaching, in particular Eric Mangini and the New York Jets.

If we have players who are looking down on other teams while they play for this one, they should be cut January 1st no questions asked. How can anyone who plays for a team who hasn't seen the post season since 2001 look down on anyone??
Agreed.

Also injuries are part of the game, 31 other teams have had to deal with them as well.
Injuries are indeed part of the game. Injuries that occur so frequently that your depth is rapidly depleted is a totally separate issue.

You seem to think I was attacking coaching yet it's clearly stated here I consider it a strength.

I was AGREEING WITH YOU! What, do I now have to blandly say "I agree" in order for that to register?

I've been pondering this quite a bit as of late and I'm very curious to know how other finheaveners feel about this. Who do you think has the most talent between Miami, Buffalo and the Jets?? This is kind of a loaded question becuase if you choose us, I ask who has the best coaching Miami, Buffalo or the Jets?? I can't imagine that better talent + better coaching = worst record, can anyone else? I'm curious to know what other posters feel is Miami biggest issue, talent or coaching? Do us Dolphins fans overrate the talent of this team or can the current coaches just not maximize it?? Do we have good players all around but 2 or 3 bad players who's deficincies we can not overcome?

The more I've thought about this I have to say I feel Eric Mangini in New York has done a mesterful job with the Jets. Maybe many other posters disagree with me but I don't feel the Jets have much talent, but they scheme very well and maximize what they have. I say major kudos to Mangini and his staff.

As far as our Dolphins go, it's my opinion that the issues with this team are talent all the way. I know the Bills have better talent and think us and the Jets are pretty close. We easily, without arguement, have the worst QB in the division (that's a given) and I think that's hurts our WR's very much. We have a TE that is probably the most overrated by the teams fans in the entire NFL. Our O-line is average, but not as big of an issue as the QB IMHO. On defense the front 7 is the strength in this team, especially the defensive lineman.

What do you guys think???
I think we all have this misconception that this team has loads of talent. (including myself) but I really feel and I am not crying the blues because of this year, or the past 10 but it is obvious that we just dont have a "team" Watch how the Eagles have hung together this year. You can see it in the way they play on the field as of late. I think our talent level is about that of an average to below-average football team, and has been with JJ, Wanny, and now Saban. We are what we are. Average talent at best. Dont forget the coaches dont miss assignments, drop balls, jump offsides, numerous false starts, etc...... Cant blame coaching. We ARE AVERAGE.... And have been for a LOOOOOONGGGG Time!!

I think we all have this misconception that this team has loads of talent. (including myself) but I really feel and I am not crying the blues because of this year, or the past 10 but it is obvious that we just dont have a "team" Watch how the Eagles have hung together this year. You can see it in the way they play on the field as of late. I think our talent level is about that of an average to below-average football team, and has been with JJ, Wanny, and now Saban. We are what we are. Average talent at best. Dont forget the coaches dont miss assignments, drop balls, jump offsides, numerous false starts, etc...... Cant blame coaching. We ARE AVERAGE.... And have been for a LOOOOOONGGGG Time!!
id say the talent is above average. the eagles are decent because they have the absolute best fit at QB they could ask for.

I agree. I fell into that trap too. I guess just because we know their names doesn't mean they have more than average talent.

On offense I don't think one player has shown the ability to change a game on a consistant basis. However, on defense I think JT is pretty darn good though.

Back
Top Bottom