Is it time to go get a Center? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it time to go get a Center?

I think good coaching can make some of these bums better, but let's face it, McD and Grier did not do enough to solidify the OL line. It is so hard to believe that no Dolphins HC outside of Shula can build an OL. Sadly, it is still the weak link on the team in terms of starters and depth...it's unacceptable!
Jackson was the highest rated tackle on the board when he was selected. He has yet to live up to the position he was selected but it’s hard to fault Grier for selecting Jackson when he did. Almost every mock draft had Jackson going in the middle of the first round and that’s where he was taken.

Hunt was an excellent pick in the second round of that same draft and he has been the best offensive lineman on the Dolphins the past two years.

I still think that Eichenberg has the skill set to be a solid lineman in the NFL and hopefully better coaching and a year experience will help him develop into a better player.

There have obviously been some misses in the draft on some of the players they have drafted for the OL but misses happen with every team.

Signing Armstead and Williams in free agency certainly seems to be an acceptance that they needed to upgrade the offensive line and at least they were willing to spend the money to vastly upgrade the OL going into this season.

Yeah I'm having flashbacks to snaps over Tannehill's head years ago lol

But really though, hopefully its something that can be ironed out. He and Tua stayed after practice working on it, and Tua coaching him up too. I think itll get better
Tua better have hops but we all know Somoan Men Can't Jump. He's way too short for the position and with his wet noodle arm he needs every millisecond possible to be able to switch the ball to his left hand, wind up, and jump into his throws. And his small hands! He needs both to catch even a perfect snap.

Plus Tanny's pocket presence is miles ahead of Tua's.

Oh damn, sorry I had an episode of dissociative fugue and thought I was an ESPN analyst ha.
:BNK:

I'm with you. I really don't see how people can defend this line... like, at all.
My main defense of this line is the trust I place in current coaching staff and front office. They see everything we see and no doubt understand it better.

Connor Williams does not seem to be getting any better at shotgun snapping. Every day he's having issues. I wonder if it's one of those Chuck Knoblauch psychological things where he couldn't throw the ball to first. I mean snapping out of the gun shouldn't be that difficult for a professional athlete. Dieter's in a boot and who's next in line, Pankey?----Sheesh! Go get someone with some experience before the season is upon us, at least as an insurance policy.
Well overdue

I was at Friday Practice. We seriously need a Center. Williams isn't the answer.
Teron wasn't playing but our O-line was getting slaughtered.
How are you able to isolate center play from the stands because I surely can’t.?

Are you basing this off of high snaps?

I know he’s excellent in one in ones because I have walked over to the far side of the field directly with the sun on my back and have watched him up close.

How are you able to isolate center play from the stands because I surely can’t.?

Are you basing this off of high snaps?

I know he’s excellent in one in ones because I have walked over to the far side of the field directly with the sun on my back and have watched him up close.
Particularly true in a zone blocking scheme. I respect @KingHydra as a knowledgeable poster, but how would he have any idea about the assignment responsibility of the position on any given play without film study from a much better vantage point than one can get attending a practice?

He WASN'T terrible in his rookie year though... indeed, he performed at a decent level for a rookie lineman. This narrative that he's always been terrible just isn't accurate.

Yes, he was bad last year, especially early, but he was better late in the season.

I think that many people expect young players to be too good, too soon. Many NFL players struggle early or have a down year when they are poorly coached, injured, or in the wrong scheme.

I'm more optimistic than most about Jackson because 1) he is so much younger than most draftees, and 2) he was always known as an athletic, traits-based player who might need some time to hit his peak.
Jackson was pretty terrible as a rookie people just didn't realize how much completely inept ol play was being masked by a veteran qb, and when the veteran it showed.

I'm with you. I really don't see how people can defend this line... like, at all.
My main defense of this line is the trust I place in current coaching staff and front office. They see everything we see and no doubt understand it better.
The offensive line as a whole still scares me until proven otherwise. Let’s be honest armstead has a decent chance to miss games. Then we’re right back to last year basically.
"Right back to last year..." ...with Williams replacing Davis at any position they choose to play him, another year of experience for the mostly young OL room (also now benefitting from Armstead's leadership whether he plays or not), new coaches and scheme. So yeah, pretty much same as last year.

Probably waiting until after camp, believe back is shot and a guy like him doesn’t need much camp
I'm inclined to believe there is a more "political" aspect to the situation. As the president of the NFLPA, he has been very outspoken about players having fully guaranteed contracts. Regardless what one may think about the wisdom of that, he would appear very hypocritical if he accepted anything less. If that is his stance with his own situation, I don't know how many teams/GMs/Owners are going to line up to support that end, both for him personally or to set a precedent.

I'm not going to go so far as to say he may be blackballed, but when you couple that with the fact that he was rarely healthy enough to practice on a regular basis, I do not think he is as desirable as many think.

Last edited:
That may be true, but it remains to be seen if they can make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Yeah? And how many other different staffs have we gone through that was supposed to fix it?

Back
Top Bottom