Is it time to go get a Center? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it time to go get a Center?

The Dolphins haven't had a decent center since Mike Pouncey.

No coincidence that our line hasn't ranked better than 28th since 2014. (going by PFF rankings). 2014 was the year Pouncey had hip surgery and played guard.

IMO center is the 2nd most important position on that line right behind blind side tackle. We need to address that position one way or another between now and next season. (Draft/FA/Trade)

PFF Rankings

2014: 32nd

2015: 31st

2016: 30th

2017: 29th

2018: 31st

2019: 32nd

2020: 28th

2021: 29th

Last edited:
If it was September 5th I would be worried. However, he has had exactly 1 week of snapping in pads this off-season. Give him a few more weeks and see what happens. None of his snaps have been high, they have all been low. It is a fixable issue with reps. As far as I’ve heard there haven’t been snap issues while Tua is under center which is far more important.
According to the camp reports I’ve read I think you have that backwards. Seems like they’ve all been high. In fact you can see some videos of them online.

100% yes. I am concerned with this line. The minute Armstead goes down we are doomed. That and the fact he's not a true center and the cowboys knew that right away... and we try and keep him there???? That is my only gripe so far this year. Everything else seems really good so far.

Connor Williams does not seem to be getting any better at shotgun snapping. Every day he's having issues. I wonder if it's one of those Chuck Knoblauch psychological things where he couldn't throw the ball to first. I mean snapping out of the gun shouldn't be that difficult for a professional athlete. Dieter's in a boot and who's next in line, Pankey?----Sheesh! Go get someone with some experience before the season is upon us, at least as an insurance policy.
Deiter was tried at C in Dallas and they pulled the plug, Guy needs to be G. Deiter's coming back but obviously we need depth at that positions so they need to go get a vet at least as insurance.

Connor Williams does not seem to be getting any better at shotgun snapping. Every day he's having issues. I wonder if it's one of those Chuck Knoblauch psychological things where he couldn't throw the ball to first. I mean snapping out of the gun shouldn't be that difficult for a professional athlete. Dieter's in a boot and who's next in line, Pankey?----Sheesh! Go get someone with some experience before the season is upon us, at least as an insurance policy.
Yes!

Why is he being used at Center?

That answer probably leads to:

Why wasn't a C found in FA?

That probably leads to why wasn't one drafted?

Could have used a Center over another WR/QB in the draft.

This might be the most frustrating year in that Miami may finally have a good offense but inconsistent because of the OL yet again.

100% yes. I am concerned with this line. The minute Armstead goes down we are doomed. That and the fact he's not a true center and the cowboys knew that right away... and we try and keep him there???? That is my only gripe so far this year. Everything else seems really good so far.
Yep Left side looks good barring injuries. Center onward looks very iffy.

hes very strong with his anchor Williams is, i see that in one on ones..he has the traits to be a great center, hes also wicked smart and very mobile..

so yes i think its a good experiment based on projection of his skillset..

i also think Liam is gonna be fine at guard..hes got good technique and a great physique, and will play next to the man in Terron, kid is in shape.

Austin is the wildcard.

I am concerned with the line.

Similar people who criticized me last year for my concerns are the same ones trying to give all the excuses why we shouldn't worry again this year.

Not everyone is doing it, but some.

The funny thing is the excuses sound the same as last year.

The concern is simple. This O line needed to upgrade 4 positions from last year.

LT, RT, C and LG

This line is significantly better than last year.

We made a Perfect upgrade at LT.

We made a solid to pretty good, IMO, upgrade at LG.

Didn't upgrade C or RT.

NOW, I believed out of all the needs, Center was the last priority. I felt dieter was the best of the worst.

Dieter atleast graded as a start, albeit 29th out of 32. Where as our LT, LG, and RT didn't rank in the top 70. None starter material.

So the move of Williams to Center felt counter productive to me. I truly believed with Williams at LG, RT was the only true potential weak spot.

I do trust the coaches. So I will wait and see on his move to Center.

But that move to Center means we have to rely on Eich and Jackson being good.

If they stink it up again ,and Williams struggles at Center the only true upgrade we made was at LT.

WITH that said, if Williams continues to struggle, I would hope Tretter gets a call.

I honestly believe the releasing of Butler facilitated a potential run at a lineman. If necessary.

Additionally, the Saints also should be contacted. They have 2 quality centers. Now neither may be available, who knows.

There's a reason I was pounding the table for Linderbaum..however, I'll take Tyreke all day every day lol.

I trust these coaches, I am a lot more optimistic this year then i was last year. I am not in " we need to make a move" territory yet.

But, last year I said it was an "obvious problem"

If Williams continues to struggle It becomes an "obvious problem" again.

I hope there's a plan in place.

Again, I trust these coaches. Our worst cse scenario is still better than last years line.

But it's just funny to me how I'm reading the same excuses this year, that I read last year, that deals with an obvious problem IMO.

We shall see

Luckily, we have the cap( this year) and draft picks to make a move. We also have coaches and a GM who would be willing to make a move to fix the problem IMO.

Also, get on the phone with Chicago. See what they want got Jenkins. Williams and a late round pick. If u need to, rest him for the year and maybe you can salvage something

No coincidence that our line hasn't ranked better than 28th since 2014. (going by PFF rankings). 2014 was the year Pouncey had hip surgery and played guard.

IMO center is the 2nd most important position on that line right behind blind side tackle. We need to address that position one way or another between now and next season. (Draft/FA/Trade)

PFF Rankings

2014: 32nd

2015: 31st

2016: 30th

2017: 29th

2018: 31st

2019: 32nd

2020: 28th

2021: 29th
Wow... just wow.

I am concerned with the line.

Similar people who criticized me last year for my concerns are the same ones trying to give all the excuses why we shouldn't worry again this year.

Not everyone is doing it, but some.

The funny thing is the excuses sound the same as last year.

The concern is simple. This O line needed to upgrade 4 positions from last year.

LT, RT, C and LG

This line is significantly better than last year.

We made a Perfect upgrade at LT.

We made a solid to pretty good, IMO, upgrade at LG.

Didn't upgrade C or RT.

NOW, I believed out of all the needs, Center was the last priority. I felt dieter was the best of the worst.

Dieter atleast graded as a start, albeit 29th out of 32. Where as our LT, LG, and RT didn't rank in the top 70. None starter material.

So the move of Williams to Center felt counter productive to me. I truly believed with Williams at LG, RT was the only true potential weak spot.

I do trust the coaches. So I will wait and see on his move to Center.

But that move to Center means we have to rely on Eich and Jackson being good.

If they stink it up again ,and Williams struggles at Center the only true upgrade we made was at LT.

WITH that said, if Williams continues to struggle, I would hope Tretter gets a call.

I honestly believe the releasing of Butler facilitated a potential run at a lineman. If necessary.

Additionally, the Saints also should be contacted. They have 2 quality centers. Now neither may be available, who knows.

There's a reason I was pounding the table for Linderbaum..however, I'll take Tyreke all day every day lol.

I trust these coaches, I am a lot more optimistic this year then i was last year. I am not in " we need to make a move" territory yet.

But, last year I said it was an "obvious problem"

If Williams continues to struggle It becomes an "obvious problem" again.

I hope there's a plan in place.

Again, I trust these coaches. Our worst cse scenario is still better than last years line.

But it's just funny to me how I'm reading the same excuses this year, that I read last year, that deals with an obvious problem IMO.

We shall see

Luckily, we have the cap( this year) and draft picks to make a move. We also have coaches and a GM who would be willing to make a move to fix the problem IMO.

Also, get on the phone with Chicago. See what they want got Jenkins. Williams and a late round pick. If u need to, rest him for the year and maybe you can salvage something
I'm with you. I really don't see how people can defend this line... like, at all.

Back
Top Bottom