Is it true that Joey Porter will count $10.2mil? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is it true that Joey Porter will count $10.2mil?

MrEd

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Is Porter due a $8mil roster bonus? I read in a salary cap for MIA page that has Porter due a $8mil roster bonus in 2008, is this true?

if its not true its close. he is a huge financial burden on the team, and its almost cheaper for us to keep him then cut him.

Porter will have a much better season this time around, just my opinion. I think early in the year they slowed his learning curve to a 'new' scheme by moving him around places he was uncomfortable (such as DE). Once they actually played him at....who would ever think of this, but LINEBACKER, he started to have a good year.

Will he be worth 10.2 million, somehow I doubt it, but I expect him to be much better year two.

He's scheduled to make $4.8 million this year W/O including the bonus...

I thought signing bonuses were prorated over the life of the contract? 8 mil / 5years or something....

I do not have him getting an $8 million roster bonus. If he did, his cap number would be higher than $10.2 million. His salary is $4.8 million

I will have to say I'm now totally confused about Joey Porter's contract. It seems that he is the only person under contract with Miami that has any real ? as to what his salary and CAP numbers are and here is what I mean.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=653

they say:3/6/2007: Signed a five-year, $32 million contract. The deal included a $12 million signing bonus. 2008: $4.8 million (+ $8 million roster bonus), 2009: $4.8 million, 2010: $3.6 million, 2011: $4.5 million, 2012: Free Agent

If we go by these numbers the total would be: 12 Mil + 4.8 Mil+(RB of 8 Mil) + 4.8 Mil + 3.6 Mil + 4.5 Mil and that equals 37.7 Mil and there are no figures for the 2007 year other than the 12 Mil signing bonus. The guy had to make something for a salary in 07. This has to be wrong, right?

Then I go to:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pUGcQV20_ynXbAvUlYg73dw&gid=0

And he says: 3/6/2007: Signed a five-year, $32 million contract. The deal included a $12 million signing bonus.
2007: $800,000 (- $141,176 for violating NFL conduct policy), 2008: $900,000 (+ $8 million roster bonus),
2009: $1.9 million, 2010: $4.9 million, 2011: $5.9 million, 2012: Free Agent

Well those figures aren't much better because they add up to 34.4 Mil not including the -141,176.00 for the fight in Vagas. Now if the last two years were 3.9 in 2010 and 4.9 in 2011 the total would be perfect as it would then equal 32.4 Mil total

In several other places I've seen that Porter gets an 8 Mil roster bonus, is it true? Lord I don't know but it's there and would seem to be true.

I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers here I'm just trying to get a grip on the salary cap and better understand it.

If the roster bonus is true then Porter would have a CAP charge this year of 11.3 Mil and a salary of 8.9 Mil. There is no way we could cut him this year without a real mess in dead money because the prorated signing bonus is 2.4 Mil a year (4 years is 9.6 Mil) and cut before June 1st we would get hit with all of it, but for the 900,000 salary, right?

If I'm wrong on any of this please, HELP.:chase:

NFLPA salaries

2007 800000.00
2008 4800000.00
2009 4800000.00
2010 3600000.00
2011 4500000.00

$12 million signing bonus/5 yrs = $2.4 million proration per year

If he did have an $8 million roster bonus, his 2008 cap number would be $15.2 million

I have been trying to find out the breakdown for months but my "insider" who helps me with numbers hasn't replied to this request :(

Also, if he really did have an $8 million roster bonus, I would suspect he would be part of the rebuilding process and cut or traded

However, another possibility is that the $8 million is an option payment and is amortized at $2 million/year......if this were the case: 4.8 + 2 + 2.4 = $9.2 million cap hit

Porter got 20 million guaranteed, Im assuming the reason we arent thinking about cutting him is that the signing bonus and roster bonus were guaranteed. (Since they add up to an even 20 million)

Clumpy, I have the same base salaries as you do, but if you add them up along with the 12 million signing bonus and 8 million roster bonus, its 38.5 million. His contract has been reported to be 32 million, with 20 million guaranteed. Nothing has been adding up.

Rotoworld has the same exact base salaries as NFLPA, and has the 12 million signing bonus and the 8 mil roster bonus, which adds up to 38.5. I dont know where the extra 6 million is coming from.

NFLPA salaries

2007 800000.00
2008 4800000.00
2009 4800000.00
2010 3600000.00
2011 4500000.00

$12 million signing bonus/5 yrs = $2.4 million proration per year

If he did have an $8 million roster bonus, his 2008 cap number would be $15.2 million

I have been trying to find out the breakdown for months but my "insider" who helps me with numbers hasn't replied to this request :(

Also, if he really did have an $8 million roster bonus, I would suspect he would be part of the rebuilding process and cut or traded

However, another possibility is that the $8 million is an option payment and is amortized at $2 million/year......if this were the case: 4.8 + 2 + 2.4 = $9.2 million cap hit

which seems to make the most sense otherwise that eight million would be on this years cap and (of the 15.2 total) and we couldnt possibly have had 44 million in cap space according to the NFLPA. seems most likely it is prorated and if we wanted to cut the guy at any time it would cost us 4.4 million per year left on the contract at this point it would cost us 17.6 million!!!!! next year 13.2 following year 8.8.

We have Joey Porter for at least the next two years folks, and there is just about no doubt about it!!

However, (to contradict myself and speculate) it would be possible since we do have some cap space if Bill really wasn't convinced Porter could be part of the rebuilding that this might be, in part, a reason to get rid of Taylor. The reason being Taylor saves about 5 million in cap space I believe if traded, which would at least make it possible to cut Porter loose and still be ok this year and SWARMING in cap space next year.

I don't see how this makes sense though. We don't have ANYBODY on the roster that's proven they can provide a pass rush from the outside besides Taylor and Porter, and to cut them both loose would be defensive suicide, since the defense is built on the outside pass rush. Just don't see how that can be in the plans. In fact, I can't see now that we couldn't land Pace how it would even make sense to allow Taylor to go.

THo either one of them on the move would certainly tip our hand in the draft after you consider the possiblities, and the loss of Pace. (which also would explain why Parcells was adamant in his denials Taylor was on the move). I believe if Pace had signed Taylor was on the move and we were listening to offers tho not soliciting them. At this point I believe he stays in Miami unless we get an outrageous offer (more than just a number 1 pick)

As long as Ryan continues to distinguish himself (ie proday) as the clear cut number one guy, I think Parcells ends up trading that pick to either Kansas City, Atlanta, Baltimore, or possibly the Jets. I think there are some teams at the top that when the time comes might decide they have to get their franchise guy, and if somebody besides Atlanta decides they want a QB, Atlanta will be forced to trade to get him.

Number three is the perfect spot for us to move as well, because it ensures the fact that we either get Gholston or Howies boy, the two guys, i believe, Parcells has coveted all along

I just read that his 4.8 milllion salary this year is guaranteed, along with 2 million of his 4.8 salary next year.

Therefore, since his guaranteed money is 20 million, you have 12 mil as a signing bonus, 4.8 as 2008 salary, 2 mil as 2009 salary, with 1.2 million left over somewhere.... Im starting to believe that there isnt an 8 million roster bonus and something in his contract was triggered or activated or an option was taken to change something and it went unreported.

Ive done a little more research on this as 6 million is a lot to not add up.

Porters contract was a 32 million total over 5 years, with 12 million signing bonus, and 20 million guaranteed.

Per NFLPA: Porter's base salaries are
2007: .8, 2008: 4.8, 2009: 4.8, 2010: 3.6, 2011: 4.5, which total 18.5 million in salary.

I read that Porters base salary this year is guaranteed and 2 million of his 4.8 million next year is guaranteed. That would put his guaranteed money at 12 million + 4.8 + 2 = 18.8 which would leave 1.2 million of guaranteed money unaccounted for.

Add up his 18.5 million in salary + the 12 million signing bonus + the 1.2 million unaccounted money and you get 31.7 million, which is pretty darn close to the reported 32 million with 20 million guaranteed.

Therefore, I think there might be a 1.2 million roster or option bonus sometime in his contract thats guaranteed. If all the other items are true, its the only way everything adds up.

On my cap page, I have Porters base salary as 4.8 million with 2.4 pro-ration and I put in a 1.2 option/roster bonus in there.

Initial reports were we were 39.5 million heading into free agency, if you subtract out the cap hits for the players we signed (McCown, Smiley, Anderson, Torbor, Ferguson, Bell, Starks etc.), we are 18.5 million under the cap.

According to my cap page, which I am using Porter counting as 8.4 million against the cap, I have us at 18.7 million under the cap, which is pretty close to what has been reported from a few sources.

Clumpy's 3/3 update has us at 22.9 under the cap with Porter counting 7.4 against the cap.

All in all, it all seems ballpark.

I can tell ya with 100% certainty, Porter does not have an $8 million roster bonus anywhere in his deal

Back
Top Bottom