Is it true that......

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
no one seems to want the #1 pick? I was listening to the Dan Patrick Show and he stated that nobody wants the #1 pick because there really isn't an impact player in the draft who deserves all that money. He alluded to the 2003 draft where the Bengals were trying to trade the pick away and were unsuccessful to find any buyers. If that's the case, I wonder what our chances of trading the #2 pick.

rafael

Hall Of Famer
Reaction score
I'm sure that opinion exists, but I'm not sure it has as much to do with the players. Mort reported today that experts he spoke to believe that the top 5 players in this year's draft are better than the top 5 in last year's draft. The big issue has to do with the end of the collective bargaining agreement. If an extension isn't agreed upon (or a new deal)that limits how long you can make the contract which make the big signing bonuses the early picks get count more heavily against your cap.

phins17

Second String
Reaction score
rafael said:
I'm sure that opinion exists, but I'm not sure it has as much to do with the players. Mort reported today that experts he spoke to believe that the top 5 players in this year's draft are better than the top 5 in last year's draft. The big issue has to do with the end of the collective bargaining agreement. If an extension isn't agreed upon (or a new deal)that limits how long you can make the contract which make the big signing bonuses the early picks get count more heavily against your cap.
Great quote.

Daytona Fin

Brown Bag It
Administrator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
Every pick is a gamble. Just because there is no big names in the top 5 doesn't mean their not getting a stud. I think the top 5 teams won't hesitate on taking a risk. Hopefully we'll take that risk on Edwards.

Bjorn

Go Giants
Reaction score
If the 9ers are able to tradfe their no. 1 pick then we won't be able to trade ours, if they draft either Rodgers of Smith then We might be able to find a taker for the other QB but it will be a drat day trade.

His Dudeness

Active Roster
Reaction score
i dont get your logic, if someone wanted the other qb, they could trade up for him, regardless of what SF does...

T tes

Active Roster
Reaction score
If i heard correctly the Chargers offered a deal to San Fran for the number one pick. I dont know if theres any truth to that rumor, but thats what i heard

Daytona Fin

Brown Bag It
Administrator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
Yes I heard about the proposed sf/sd trade on pardon the interruption today. They said san fran wanted to trade the #1 pick for rivers because san diego is looking at edwards but they said san diego wasn't going to part with rivers.

His Dudeness

Active Roster
Reaction score
why in gods holy name won't san diego trade rivers for braylon edwards?

if i'm SD i make that trade in a heart beat.

Fin Fan in Cali

Joanne Shaw Taylor
Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
rafael said:
Good info!:beerbang:

Fin Fan in Cali

Joanne Shaw Taylor
Super Donator
Finheaven VIP
Reaction score
ercin13 said:
Yes I heard about the proposed sf/sd trade on pardon the interruption today. They said san fran wanted to trade the #1 pick for rivers because san diego is looking at edwards but they said san diego wasn't going to part with rivers.
Here's the latest that I know. Yesterday the local guy Philly Billi Werdel said that the trade wouldn't include Rivers too much of a cap hit, it was with Brees. I know that there is a lot of smack that the Chargers have a lot of room, true, however they need to re-do the contract of Gates before the start of the season. They will also neeed money two sign two 1 st round draft picks. If they make a trade then they would enough money to sign 3 1st round picks plus the rest of there picks.

Today my president who is a big Charger honk, said the Chargers called into The Mighty 1090am station, and said they weren't doing any trade with there quarterbacks.

Top Bottom