Is It Us? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is It Us?

BahamaFinFan78

Active Roster
Reaction score
You know when someone has had many girlfriends/wives and none of the relationships seem to work out? At first you think it's them and not you, but after some time you have to say that maybe it could be you. Is that the Fins? We haven't been to a Super Bowl since Marino's rookie season in the 80's. We haven't won one since the 70's. We've tried all kinds of coaches, czars, GM's, QB's, coordinators, schemes, etc... but nothing works. Do we have to ask, "Is it us?"

We're one of the (many) bad organizations. One of the problems we've had is that we never truly bottom-out other than 2007.

It all starts from the top. The fact that Grier has been here twenty years isn't a good thing.

We're one of the (many) bad organizations. One of the problems we've had is that we never truly bottom-out other than 2007.

It all starts from the top. The fact that Grier has been here twenty years isn't a good thing.
We bottomed out in 2004. Had the second pick in the draft in 2005. Would have been the perfect time to rebuild. But Saban decided that it was more important to bring in a bunch of journeymen, including at QB, to inflate the record and decided that drafting Ronnie Brown at the top of the draft was a wise use of our resources as opposed to drafting a QB.

We've even changed owners several times since our last Super Bowl appearance.

Of course its us, but "us" is now different people than "us" was before. We still haven't obtained real quality control to vette stuff. The Rooney's and Mara's do that stuff naturally, they're football people raised in the culture and taught how to do it by successful football people. Ross is new and desperately looking for someone to do this job … but he has not hired anyone to do it well yet. If Grier hires a new coach, this is his last shot. He needs to be right about this, because I'm not enthused by any of the candidates left. My guess is that the next culling fires the GM Grier and whomever he chooses as Head Coach and wipes the slate clean. We need a QB, and the best way to get a good one is to tank 2019 and draft Fromm or one of the other good ones in 2020. Hiring a coach to tank is not a great strategy. We should have kept Gase 1 more year.

Of course its us, but "us" is now different people than "us" was before. We still haven't obtained real quality control to vette stuff. The Rooney's and Mara's do that stuff naturally, they're football people raised in the culture and taught how to do it by successful football people. Ross is new and desperately looking for someone to do this job … but he has not hired anyone to do it well yet. If Grier hires a new coach, this is his last shot. He needs to be right about this, because I'm not enthused by any of the candidates left. My guess is that the next culling fires the GM Grier and whomever he chooses as Head Coach and wipes the slate clean. We need a QB, and the best way to get a good one is to tank 2019 and draft Fromm or one of the other good ones in 2020. Hiring a coach to tank is not a great strategy. We should have kept Gase 1 more year.
Nice post brother. I agree with all except keeping Gase another year as the damage was enough and I believe he already checked out.

I blamed front office for not being able get top qb since 2000. when they had many chance to do it without tanking...

Nice post brother. I agree with all except keeping Gase another year as the damage was enough and I believe he already checked out.
Maybe, but what would have have done? Maybe the team gives up on him and we have one terrible year, after which we let him go and hire a new coach to use our high draft pick to find a new QB and rebuild?

Would we have supported him with expensive free agents? No, because he didn't earn that and we are tanking. Would that have been fair to Gase? I suspect he would want the extra year and accept the challenging conditions. If he turns that team into a winning team, maybe he IS the answer we're looking for at head coach? If not, well he would now have 4 typical NFL years that included 3 years to build and hone his team with the support of the front office and one year not really earned where he had to do it without the support of his front office.

If he fails, that's gotta be on him, even without the front office's support, as he was only promised 3 years, he had a losing record, and finished his last season having dug himself a hole with the players and producing a losing season. If he succeeds then he really proves his metal and it means he somehow won the trust of the players back. That seems like a pretty good scenario to me. At least I see it as preferable to what we have now, an attempt to hire a lame-duck 1 year coach with the hope he'll sacrifice himself to tank for one year so that someone else can get the glory.

Maybe, but what would have have done? Maybe the team gives up on him and we have one terrible year, after which we let him go and hire a new coach to use our high draft pick to find a new QB and rebuild?

Would we have supported him with expensive free agents? No, because he didn't earn that and we are tanking. Would that have been fair to Gase? I suspect he would want the extra year and accept the challenging conditions. If he turns that team into a winning team, maybe he IS the answer we're looking for at head coach? If not, well he would now have 4 typical NFL years that included 3 years to build and hone his team with the support of the front office and one year not really earned where he had to do it without the support of his front office.

If he fails, that's gotta be on him, even without the front office's support, as he was only promised 3 years, he had a losing record, and finished his last season having dug himself a hole with the players and producing a losing season. If he succeeds then he really proves his metal and it means he somehow won the trust of the players back. That seems like a pretty good scenario to me. At least I see it as preferable to what we have now, an attempt to hire a lame-duck 1 year coach with the hope he'll sacrifice himself to tank for one year so that someone else can get the glory.
I just see more damage being done to players morale, and not using the young players we have to see what we have in there abilities and how they fit the team. I like where we are now with a new coach as they will be able to put roots down. I want a coach that wants to be here and put together something special.

Having to bottom out is not really needed, teams like the Steelers, Patriots, Cowboys to name a few never bottom out, yet they continue to be good.

Dolphins went three decades where they were considered each year, a contending team for the championship.

Yet teams like the Browns, Lions, Jets, and Bill have bottomed out a few times, and are still waiting for that consistent year to year team.

Our problem is drafting/signing, and coaching.

I don't know man, women these days? I'm likely to say it really is them lol.

But with the Dolphins...I really don't get it either. We have the tools, we had a legit team many times. I've never been to Florida (would love to move there) but I'm wondering if the Miami nightlife and way of life is making players not care much.

Someone said something about the stadium being built on Indian burial grounds? Mayyyyyyybe?

Back
Top Bottom