Is Jason Garrett ready to become an Offensive Coordinator? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Jason Garrett ready to become an Offensive Coordinator?

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Assuming Cameron becomes our head coach.....Would we consider Garrett as an OC??? Is he ready to become an OC???

With all this talk about Saban wanting him as the OC at Alabama and the Browns wanting to interview him for the OC position.....why aren't we giving him a crack at the OC position....

If someone offers him a better position than what we offer him, I'm afraid he's going to want to leave....and from my understanding his a good coach.

But is he ripe for the OC position?

He probably will become our OC. but it'll be just title only. Cameron will probably call his one plays.

Depends on a lot of things. Firstly, who's playbook? Cams? Does Garrett know how Cam wants it done? Maybe Cam brings in his own people.

From the sounds of all we're hearing about the Fins not allowing anyone to talk to Garrett, and Cam probably coming in as HC, it seems likely Garrett is being groomed for the OC position.

I don't know if he's "ready" to become an OC but he's important enough that Scott Linehan brought him here, we blocked Scott from taking him when he left and we blocked the Browns from taking him from us.

Garrett is not going to get any more "ready" then he is now, he's a Linehan guy which is great, he will have an offensive head coach... the timing is perfect

What exactly is the significance of an OC when the HC calls the plays? I've always found that humorous. Sure, name him "OC".

No but in all seriousness, Cam will likely call the plays, and its very possible Garrett is named OC. The organization seems to think highly of him, as do other teams in the league. Cant let a young, up and coming assistant coach get away.

What exactly is the significance of an OC when the HC calls the plays? I've always found that humorous. Sure, name him "OC".

No but in all seriousness, Cam will likely call the plays, and its very possible Garrett is named OC. The organization seems to think highly of him, as do other teams in the league. Cant let a young, up and coming assistant coach get away.
In that situation the OC becomes a glorified QB coach basically. So garrett seems like he can handle it.

who cares this franchise is a total mess!

ok, so lets just forget everything and srtive for mediocrity. If you dont care why even bother putting your 2 cents in about anything with this organization!? Thank god your not in our FO

Actually, I wouldn't consider Garrett a Linehan guy. Yes, he probably learned some from him, but you must remember....Garrett was a back-up to Aikman all those years in Dallas. He probably learned a lot from Norv Turner's offense. I remember watching the Cowboys play (before Sunday ticket and Dallas' games were on a lot) and there was talk 10 years ago that Garrett was extremely intelligent and relied on his ability to read defenses and audible to the right play to be successful. No, he didn't start many games for the 'Boys, but when Aikman got a little concussed, it seemed Jason would come in and have some success. I'm not for certain, but I think he went to an Ivy league school, not that it means anything (see Jay Fiedler) but he definately has the smarts. Usually, a high IQ helps coordinators where a low IQ hurts (see Kippy Brown).

I think Garrett will be the OC no matter who comes in here next year. He probably had to sit back and bite his tongue this year when Mularky called his double end-around-halfback-option passes when they needed 1 or 2 yards. Hopefully, Garrett has taken something positive from every situation he's been in. I will be very angry if the Phins DON'T keep this guy as the OC because he's paid his dues and deserves the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom