Is Matt Burke A Good Dc?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Jul 13, 2018.

?

Is Matt Burke a good DC?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I Don't Know

28 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. DKphin

DKphin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I would say no . His reliance on an antiquated scheme and is inability to properly evaluate players strengths and weaknesses might be the downfall of our defense. Maybe the individual athleticism of some of our players will overcome this, but I would not count on it. What our your thoughts?

2. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Matt Burke is a YOUNG DC. Hope that helps!

Glad after 1 season you've concluded your opinion, OP!

JJM_7, xSxPxHx, tay0365 and 5 others like this.
  3. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Maybe Burke is the man but leaning for No for now he needs to learn to make adjustments on the fly.

4. FINatic054

FINatic054 Scout Team

Too early to tell. I will say there were some instances last season I was very aggravated with some of the schemes and lack of pressure we applied to opposing QBs. It's not that I dont feel like we utilized the blitz.... its was the way the blitz was utilized. I felt like the offense seemed to be a step ahead. We would blitz off LT and the play seemed to go off right. We blitz off RT and the play went left. We blitzed from inside and it was a quick screen/run outside. I dont know if it was just poor disguise, opposing teams stealing calls, or Burke was just predictable.

Shula Fan and Ray R like this.
  5. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Hard to tell, they started out very well. But then you had an inept offense who couldn't stay on the field. You also had a player go AWOL and no bye week. It was the perfect storm where everything went wrong.

I did have problems with his game planning from week to week. For example going from the New England to Buffalo game. We shut down one of the best Qffeanses in the league, but the next week we got away from what worked and got torched by a poor bills offense.

Overall he has good sense for adapting his defense such as moving towards more nickel and LBs with speed. But it's hard to tell where we are going because I'm sure injuries and fatigue sucked the life out of that D

dahlmarino and Ray R like this.
  6. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

Does the name Tom Olivadotti mean anything to you.

7. dnespins

dnespins ... Finheaven VIP

No. The biggest reason i think we're more likely to be 6-10 than 10-6 is our coaching staff.

gofins60 likes this.
  8. finmann

finmann Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

With an improved roster he should be.

Ray R likes this.
  9. ANUFan

ANUFan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I guess if you're not a superstar right out the gate then you have no chance by some folks evaluation process.

10. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Grip it and rip it Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

We will see. He's got a few good additions and solid injured players coming back just needs to overcome the loss of Suh. Lets see what he can do with them however if the D does not improve this season he may be a goner.
    Not really fair for a young first time DC but you don't get long to show what you can do in this league.

11. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

Silly question... IMO. Way too small a sample size to make a definitive assessment. Based on "early results" NO.

But let's see... It seems he's quite bright and lets hope a football D maven.

I'm old enough to remember Arns in his prime.. And also Chuck Dudley.

12. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

He got the DC. Position by default, not because he earned it. In his first year he was in over his head and although I think we have vastly upgraded our defense, I think DC is the weakest link

thefieds likes this.
  13. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Finheaven VIP Donator

Define "antiquated scheme" because there are a few teams (like the Eagles) who run a very similar scheme. And every time you bring this up, you mention something about the Wide 9 or an outdated scheme without actually providing any evidence as to why the scheme isn't good.

And how exactly has Burke not properly evaluated players' strengths and weaknesses? Because you like to say that a lot, as well, without actually providing any factual backing to the statement.

Because from the looks of it last year, Davon Godchaux, a 5th-round rookie, was playing high quality snaps.

Xavien Howard was playing some of the best ball of his career.

Reshad Jones was still a very solid player.

Miami was forced to play a 3rd round rookie at cb because of injuries to Lippett and the release of Byron Maxwell.

So when you're forced to play undrafted linebackers like Chase Allen and Mike Hull, how exactly is the middle of the defense supposed to be elite?

I don't think you've done research on the scheme. Your mind was made up about Burke from the beginning.

gfish24, Shula Fan, ANUFan and 10 others like this.
  14. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Finheaven VIP Donator

Hard to say one way or the other, based on one season. Jury is still out. If I had to go one way or the other, he wasn’t THAT impressive. Vance Jospeh did more with less.

Far too early to vote one way or the other though, so I didn’t cast a vote.

Kadiddlehopper and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  15. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

NONSENSE - Gase said he had been prepared to replace Vance if he left. That preparation was Burke!

McMichael likes this.