Is Matt Burke a good DC?

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters
Point number 3: This scheme is supposed to put more pressure on the QB and subsequently cause more in completions and turnovers. Last year the Defense generated 15 TOs. The NFL average was 22. Except for the Bengals and the Raiders, that was worst in the league.

Coyle, then Joseph, and now Burke: three ex-Bengals defensive coaches with no experience at DC running similar ineffective defenses that are built to play with the lead even though they have been paired with the also inexperienced Philbin and Gase whose offenses usually can't score until nearly half-time and rarely have the lead. First of all, I blame Ross for hiring them, and second, Philbin and Gase should have known that due to their inexperience they needed veteran DCs with a proven track record to take care of that side of the ball.

You think Vance was good? He only gave up the most yards in franchise history lol

I will say this, if it's Burkes fault we ran out 2 SSs that's on him. 2 SSs don't work and for obvious reasons lead to less turnovers

Well, maybe not lol. I'd have to look at the numbers. I remember the defense passing the eyeball test (not the most reliable). Not much talent on the defense, but he made the most of it.

But once again though, Miami runs a hybrid front and mixes up use of the wide 9 and other defensive line alignments.

The Eagles run a very similar defense and had one of the top units in the NFL. Which shows you it's more about personnel, not scheme.

And to reiterate on several other of your points, it's not the scheme that relies so heavily on the offense.

On another point, most secondaries rely on pressure to limit time in coverage. That's completely independent of scheme.

Miami's struggles are personnel based, not scheme based. And it's pretty easy to see that
I disagree

Not a good year but hard to judge with the personnel he had to work with. The additions of Quinn, McMillan and Minkah should help get a better read.
Can't agree with the Wide-9 criticisms when it just won the trophy, we need better players(and yes possibly coaching) not a better scheme

Matt Burke is a YOUNG DC. Hope that helps!

Glad after 1 season you've concluded your opinion, OP!

Yeah this is where I'm at. The poll should have included a 'Jury is still out' option. We need to see if he improves over last year. It shouldn't take three quarters or several games before the defense starts to show it's teeth! Lets come out of the gate shutting offenses down!

That word you are using, it does not mean what you think it means.

an·ti·quat·ed
ˈan(t)əˌkwādəd/
adjective
  1. old-fashioned or outdated.
    "this antiquated central heating system"
    synonyms: outdated, out of date, outmoded, outworn, old, stale, behind the times, old-fashioned, anachronistic, old-fangled, antique, antediluvian, passé, démodé, obsolete;

Burke, right now, is the single hardest evaluation of any member of our team, coaches or players.

I do know that Matt spent 3 months getting Raekwon McMillan ready to lead his defense on the field only to have it yanked away right after we lost Tannehill a week earlier.

The fact that this team finished 6-10 and managed to beat the reigning AFC and NFC Champions without their offensive and defensive quarterbacks for the entire season is astounding.

I don't see how anyone could vote yes.

Question is pretty specifically worded. "Is Matt Burke a good DC?"

Well, no.

His defense performed like crap in his one year as a DC. While it's true that he had hot garbage to work with at the linebacker position, he's also the guy who thought that TJ McDonald + Reshad Jones would be a brilliant safety pairing. There's no way to say that he's a good DC when he has never produced good results. Even if you're going to stop short of saying he's bad at his job, I don't see any evidence to indicate that he's actually good at it yet.

I would say no . His reliance on an antiquated scheme and is inability to properly evaluate players strengths and weaknesses might be the downfall of our defense. Maybe the individual athleticism of some of our players will overcome this, but I would not count on it. What our your thoughts?

My biggest complaint was the apparent regular failures on 3rd and forever. Part of that, IMO, was inability to cover backs, slots, TEs. This season should have the personnel to cover. Second places goes to game-planning, or, the apparent lack thereof. For now, 'jury still out.'

Hard to say one way or the other, based on one season. Jury is still out. If I had to go one way or the other, he wasn’t THAT impressive. Vance Jospeh did more with less.

Far too early to vote one way or the other though, so I didn’t cast a vote.
I agree, far too early to make a decision. I would say he did not start with an amazing first year but that does not at all mean he will not develop. Remember his first year had AWOL Timmons, injured McMillan, Lippett, and suspended McDonald. Hard for a seasoned coach to handle. Let’s see how this year goes.

I’m wondering how people are saying Joseph had less when our defense didn’t change from one year to the next lol.

I’m wondering how people are saying Joseph had less when our defense didn’t change from one year to the next lol.
If i recall the only thing he added was Timmons who missed time and wasn't as good as advertised anyways. We downgraded at safety. Abdul was pretty good in 2016, nate Allen didn't hold a candle to him

Hard to tell, they started out very well. But then you had an inept offense who couldn't stay on the field. You also had a player go AWOL and no bye week. It was the perfect storm where everything went wrong.

I did have problems with his game planning from week to week. For example going from the New England to Buffalo game. We shut down one of the best Qffeanses in the league, but the next week we got away from what worked and got torched by a poor bills offense.

Overall he has good sense for adapting his defense such as moving towards more nickel and LBs with speed. But it's hard to tell where we are going because I'm sure injuries and fatigue sucked the life out of that D

I thought so, too. That Saints game they were playing solid against one of the best offenses in the game and our O did nothing to help them out. Yeah they wore down later in the season, but I think if they can start off strong again and get help from the other side of the ball people could start talking about them this year.

It's do or die for him this year. They got rid of the best 4-3 DT since Tim Bowens, so they evidently think they can do better without him. So we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom