Is Matt Burke a good DC?

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters
Not a fan of him or the scheme. He lost Raekown "Ray Lewis" McMillan and the season and any accountability was lost because of that apparently. Talent wise, he may have had a top 5 defensive line to work with last year. He was the DC when we signed Alonso to that atrocious deal. I highly doubt he had no say in that matter or acquiring TJ Mcdonald.

Hopefully we improve, but i don't see it. He was never qualified for the job and just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Because Matt Burke has had one year, and Olivadotti had...nine?

I can only judge him based on what he's done and what he's done is give us the 29th ranked defense which is Olivadotti bad. Could he improve? Sure, but I'm judging him based on what he's done not what he can do. Most people tend to assume that with experience comes improvement like it's automatic. But if that was true my ex gf would have been good at fellatio considering she practiced enough consistently behind my back.

Imagine this:

You are on a Tennessee Titans message-board in 2001. Is Jim Schwartz a good DC?

The team just lost 9 games, 4th in the AFC Central. You see nothing to suggest he is a good DC.

Top 5 against the run that year?

LB coach for the number 2 Defense the year before?

If we keep relying on anecdotal evidence to delay our acceptance of reality:

2002 Tennessee improved significantly. So we can expect the same from Burke this year right?

I'm not sure what I think of him. He definitely didn't inspire me last year. But then I look at the "talent" he was working with. Let's see how he does this year hopefully he can get the best out of some seemingly very talented guys. It's still a D with a number of holes, so I do also think we need less 3&outs from the O.

Mmmhmmm. Coachspeak

In the time Gase has been here he has always told the truth, its just that most folks and some players don't believe him. They should have.

When he was asked about the possibility of what would he do if Vance was leaving; he said something to the effect of that's why he had hired Burke. Last year as the season wore on he said he was through compromising with anyone and some of the players weren't studying the play book. That was just before players started to get traded, even though the season wasn't over.

Gase often talks of a players performance in the positive. He is telling the truth, as far as it goes. He works at trying to get people to play up to their potential. When poor performances and behaviors occur he prefers to keep it in house until it becomes a real problem, such as repeated freelancing, or failure to know the plays called. When there is a point where a players effort comes up short too often, then Gase calls them out, if in a somewhat general manner (not by name).

I'm not sure what I think of him. He definitely didn't inspire me last year. But then I look at the "talent" he was working with. Let's see how he does this year hopefully he can get the best out of some seemingly very talented guys. It's still a D with a number of holes, so I do also think we need less 3&outs from the O.

Not certain if this is 'talent' related, but there were games where 25-30% of D plays had a missed assignment/ Was that due to a new system, an overly-complicated system, poor coaching? I have no idea, though I suspect a number were due to new to a complicated system. A number of those players have a year's experience. If fans see a lot of missed assignments this year, Burke gets the heat.

no idea. He had a defensive roster last year who would struggle to contain a high school o

Back
Top Bottom