Is Matt Burke a good DC?

• Yes

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters
no idea. He had a defensive roster last year who would struggle to contain a high school o
You constantly rag on the defensive talent. That's an exaggeration about high school but I think you'd agree.Either way I submit you can't judge a first time coordinator after 1 year. Especially with the fact as far as yardage goes his unit was middle of the pack. You'd like to see a better scoring defense though

I'm not sure what I think of him. He definitely didn't inspire me last year. But then I look at the "talent" he was working with. Let's see how he does this year hopefully he can get the best out of some seemingly very talented guys. It's still a D with a number of holes, so I do also think we need less 3&outs from the O.
I agree about the 3 and outs. We forget how important the offense is to the defense.

I had to add a third choice because I really don't know.

I hated that bullshit scheme but recently I've watched game replays on the NFL Network and several team including the Eagles and Jags run a version of it and run it well and even Tennessee (I know it's a 3-4 but they have a version similar to a wide 4-3) have executed it with the right personnel.

If the Eagle's can make it work there is no reason Miami can't turn it around this year.

If you were hired as a sales manager and given NO input who was on your team would you be 100% accountable for the results? Hell no. Burke literally had 0 NFL quality LBS last year. He had almost no pass rush and had very inexperienced CBs. Add to that a very average backup QB that couldn’t move the ball, turned it over and consistently put the D in bad spots. You think any of that might have impacted the results? Come on.

Let’s not make Burke the scapegoat and blame him for the final record when he had to dance with what he had. The draft and FA has addressed most of these issues so let’s see what his scheme does with actual NFL talent. Give the guy a break folks

I hated that bullshit scheme but recently I've watched game replays on the NFL Network and several team including the Eagles and Jags run a version of it and run it well and even Tennessee (I know it's a 3-4 but they have a version similar to a wide 4-3) have executed it with the right personnel.

If the Eagle's can make it work there is no reason Miami can't turn it around this year.

Yeah except the Eagles defense is way more talented than ours and better coached

Agree. But all the teams you mention had speed on D, LBs who could cover and tackle and a great pass rush. Miami, lol

Too soon to say.

With MF at FS and hopefully a healthy RM at MLB, we may have competent players at key positions.
I say FS is key cause then it'll allow Jones to play closer to the LOs. A good MLB is key to any defense.
We downgraded at DT, but added Quinn at DE and we have a solid rotation at DT, with some young guys that at least showed some promise last year.

1 year is too early to judge any coach or player, unless it's so obvious they are incompetent.

Not a fan of him or the scheme. He lost Raekown "Ray Lewis" McMillan and the season and any accountability was lost because of that apparently. Talent wise, he may have had a top 5 defensive line to work with last year. He was the DC when we signed Alonso to that atrocious deal. I highly doubt he had no say in that matter or acquiring TJ Mcdonald.

Hopefully we improve, but i don't see it. He was never qualified for the job and just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

And he lost Nate Allen. And Tony Lippett. And Lawrence Timmons lost his mind. And Byron Maxwell just decided to not do what he was told.

And when the replacement for the replacement for the guy you drafted to be the starter at MLB gets arrested? You're having some **** luck as a DC.

I don't know that Burke is a quality coordinator or not, but judging him on THAT one year...in his first year? Is silly.

It's hard to say based on the patch-work team he had to work with last year. We used something like 3 different MLB's, a couple different combos at OLB and 4 or 5 different safeties. Our best run stuffing DE was lost for 5 games and Branch was hurt which didn't help the rotation.

This year he has a very versatile unit. I will reserve judgement until I see IF he can utilize the players on this years squad. He should be able to run a lot more dime and big nickel packages. I just hope he doesn't keep our corners from pressing this year. They really came on when they were allow to be more physical.

Enough with the vanilla stuff....time to keep offenses guessing.

Enough with the vanilla stuff....time to keep offenses guessing.

This a thousand times over. Fitzpatrick *should* give them so much more versatility. The possibilities to disguise 4-3 variations increase dramatically with the ability to run a Cover 1, while offenses try to guess what the hell Reshad Jones is going to do (play the run? cover the flat? blitz?)...should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

no idea. He had a defensive roster last year who would struggle to contain a high school o

Not to mention an offense that was close to last in the league at ToP.....There were some games last year I started to feel bad about just how much we were trotting the defense back out there after a very short drive...I think their overall numbers could have been a lot closer to league average if our offense just gave them a chance.

There were a few games from last year I remember our defense dominating, they were playing really well in the ATL game and for a few weeks afterwards. I see them having significantly more energy this year simply because our offense will stay on the field longer with Tanne over Cutler

I think he's good, not great. Given some time, hopefully he will make the jump from good to great. The problem with the league now is no one is given time anymore, it's a win now league and you are out before you are given sufficient time to succeed sometimes.

Don't know just one year on the job won't know till the end of the year. He needs to improve make adjustments sooner. Do not want to hear excuses about loss of Suh either as thats a coaching decision.

Not sure --- but he has a sweet beard and hikes with gorillas so I am sold.

I think both him and Gase are young and have been limited on what can be called based on injuries and personnel. Hopefully we can stay healthy, especially on the OL and the LB's (QB goes without saying).

Back
Top Bottom