Is Miami commiting cap suicide? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Miami commiting cap suicide?

Dajesus

Active Roster
Reaction score
It appears the Gardners new contract will be great this year, but if he plays over 39% of the Ds plays he will count the 5.7 mill that he is scheduled for next year and the 2 mill that Miami turned in to incentives this season. RW is signed to a small contract, but will most likely not play for peanuts again next season. Jay's contract goes up about 2mill after this season. Could this be the first step to Miami turning in to the Jags, or Ravens? I am starting to get scared.

Well it's been clear that by 2004 we have to drop two or 3 of our major contracts to stay under the cap. Gardener is a clear choice to be one of those at some point just because the future doesn't look too good for his back and Bowens now has a more cap friendly contract. Plus it means we might not get Zack under contract again unless it's made cap friendly the first couple years and we might not get him at all if we want to have Chambers/Williams dealt with. Next year's draft is probably going to be a good tipoff on who we may drop. Because we are going to have to draft replacements for those salaries we drop.

Although we may get lucky and be able to pull off "Bowens" type deals in cutting and then signing them to new deals.

I think that is the natural progression in the NFL today.
You always have to be thinking at least two years ahead as far as the cap is concerned.
I think our FO seems to have a good handle on what is needed from a cap standpoint.
I think you just have to have young guys ready to step in after 2 or 3 years and compete for a starting job.
That way you are always turning over players on the down side of their career in favor of young vets that are ready to step in and start.
Some of the candidates that would fall into this category in the next two years IMO would be:
OG, Brock, Rodgers, DG, Tim Bo, Fiedler, most of the OL with the exception of Wade, to just name a few.
Some of these guys would be in line for renegotiating IMO as well.

There would be a Miami revolution if we got rid of Zach Thomas, or didn't resign him. I agree Gardner needs to be slashed after this season unless he produces significantly. The thing is Miami is a great place to be and all the Phins players now that. Unlike the Ravens who play in ****ty weather, or the Jags who have an A$$ for a coach. I think we will be fine, and that Spiel and WAnny know what they are doing. They woudn't Fu@k themselves!!

Also remember that our fiscal sanity is tied to the length of Wanny/Spielmans contract. So as long as they keep getting that year added to their contracts then we should always be fine for that. Start worrying if they don't get their contracts extended. They will surely leave us in cap hell for a win now attitude.

Originally posted by scotgif
I think that is the natural progression in the NFL today.
You always have to be thinking at least two years ahead as far as the cap is concerned.
I think our FO seems to have a good handle on what is needed from a cap standpoint.
I think you just have to have young guys ready to step in after 2 or 3 years and compete for a starting job.
That way you are always turning over players on the down side of their career in favor of young vets that are ready to step in and start.
Some of the candidates that would fall into this category in the next two years IMO would be:
OG, Brock, Rodgers, DG, Tim Bo, Fiedler, most of the OL with the exception of Wade, to just name a few.
Some of these guys would be in line for renegotiating IMO as well.

Wann'n'Spiel say they are looking at the 3-4 year time fram when they make their cap dealings and as such I trust them to get it done.:D

There is no question <<<<

that I have complete confidence in WannSpeil's approach to managing the salary cap ! The Ravens just went completely overboard with some of the contracts they agreed to last year,, I mean what was the contract that Grbac signed - 4 or 5 yrs for 31 million ???? (AND SOME OF YOU IN THE CLICK B***H ABOUT J -FIEDLER :confused: I feel that using the Ravens for a comparasion to any teams salary cap situation is wrong because (Billick), mr attitude - got very greedy and with the ego he has, (could be even worse than JJ's) Billick thought that he could be the first repeat S-B champion in a very long time -- only this time, his arrogance and his BIG MOUTH -- have gotten the Ravens in serious salary cap trouble!! We will see how good of a H-C Billick is - with all the starters he lost he will be lucky to 5-11 let alone 500 on 02 ..:lol: :lol: :lol: Marino1983

Zach reminds me of Offerdahl.........undersized and sacrifices his body at all cost. Unfortunately ZT`s body may hold up a couple more yrs. then he`ll retire...........a sad day for FIN fans for sure. When I think of the FINS, the first face that pops in my mind is Zachs. I truly rate him as one of the all time greats.

You guys think the Ravens situation is bad....

Wait till the Raiders hit rock bottom after this season. They will be $50 MILLION over the cap. Their payroll will be at a stifling New York Yankee-like $120 MILLION. What the hell was the Raiders ogranization thinking :lol: :lol: . Some teams are falling apart because of poor managment with contracts and the lack of knowledge or skill to see the overall picture down the road when they offer their players contract. I know the Fins organization dosen't have that problem, they are well organized and "on the ball" with the cap. But even the best can get caught in pinch, which could be lurking down the road for us in a couple of years :eek: . I'm sure Rick Spielman will minimize the damage during that time. The Fins have been in tight situations before, but we've always prevailed thanks to a strong front office. Playing football is only part of game :) .

Maybe after the Ravens dismantling this year and demise of the Raiders in the near future, the league will raise the cap up $10 million :) .

That's probably wishful thinking, but possible ;) .

Other fans (aka "haters") can't wait to see us hit "cap hell", but our front office has always done a great job in minimizing the damage and keeping our team at a competitive level consistently. No other team has been able to do that successully over a long period of time like the Fins have. So big props to the Dolphins Front Office for doing a great job in providing our fans with a competitive team year after year and continue to push forward in acheiveing the ultimate goal......bringing home the Lombardi trophy :D

GO FINS!!!!

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
Zach reminds me of Offerdahl.........undersized and sacrifices his body at all cost. Unfortunately ZT`s body may hold up a couple more yrs. then he`ll retire...........a sad day for FIN fans for sure. When I think of the FINS, the first face that pops in my mind is Zachs. I truly rate him as one of the all time greats.

I agree :D

Other Fans Have Shown >>

that they have nooooo clue how the cap works and it is usually the fans of the teams(Aka the jILLS) that post how bad the Phins are going to be (concerning the cap) the next couple of years ! The Dolphins are one of the few teams that have kept their core players (mostly defense) on the roster and have yet to OVERPAY anyone. And the funny thing is, the person that should be getting all the praise for cleaning up the mess from 1995 is Jimmy Johnson,, but from some of the posts that I have read recently- there are not too many Phin fans that recognize this as a fact or even give JJ some respect !!!!! I find that very interesting. :confused: :rolleyes: :mad: Marino1983

Two Things

First, if ZT leaved via free agency, or as a result of him being a cap casualty, I will be officially P/O'd. :yell: That said however, I believe that the current management has it's "finger on the pulse" of the fan base, so to speak, and would not make such a drastic move in getting rid of thee obvious fan favorite on the team. Most Miami fans (myself included) are so emotionally attached to #54 as a player and a person that, if he were cut for cap purposes, there would likely be an immediate backlash from the fan-base. My gut feeling is that ZT will continue to play in Miami throughout his career and will likely retire as a 'Fin.

Secondly, most people on this MB have it right. The future cap situation of the 'Fins isn't exactly rosey, but it's not too bleak either. If you take a look at the cap situation this season we were $13 million over and that was handled relatively easily. The current management is not dumb and appears to work very hard at getting good players who will play for Miami for reasonable salaries. There may be some darker days to come but I certainly don't think that they are going to be too dark. Most of the players whose salaries are exhorbitantly large are going to be on the downside of their careers in a couple of years and that'll be the exact moment when they're cut in favor of younger players with a lot of potential. :p

So don't fret the cap situation too much, it's not that bad and likely won't get that bad. Besides, the 'Fins aren't the Fay-duhs who are going to have almost twice as much salary as they have cap next year.:evil: :lol: That is honestly one of the greatest things I've ever heard. :lol:

See Miami's cap situation for 2003 thread, but i figured Miami to be $8 million over the cap next year unless they sign someone else to a long term contract with a large base salary for next year (i.e. blake). But, we will only lose 6 starters to FA and those six starters are Dixon, Konrad, Weaver, Searcy, Smith (or Spriggs, take your pick), and OG. They should not be hard to replace or resign. But I think we will need to make $14 million savings in next years cap from the current team in cuts and downgrades and renogiated contract. Hopefully we will get a couple starters for next year in this years draft and another four or so next year. We will be in good shape then.

we'll be in better shape in 2003 that most defending Super Bowl Champs are :D

the odds are not good.........

Originally posted by dolphan39
we'll be in better shape in 2003 that most defending Super Bowl Champs are :D
at defending a championship! out of the 36 superbowls that have been played, there are ony six teams with back to back wins!:(

Back
Top Bottom