Is MJD for real????` | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is MJD for real????`

I guess their point is both qbs put up big numbers but didn't win a championship. I think RIvers could be a borderline HOF consideration..I think he's a better qb than RObert Brazil was a linebacker and Brazil is going on the ballot next year. I wouldn't compare Rivers to Marino talent wise, but as far a both having nice number and no title the arguement could be made I guess. I would have loved to have had Rivers at qb in Miami during most of the past 15 years.

Yes they both put up big numbers but I don't think Rivers has ever lead the league in anything. Huge difference.

Rivers is OK... I guess. He is kinda like Romo to me. Solid, makes great plays from time to time but doesn't ever really put it all together to equal team success
Yes but he's much better than Romo actually

Marino had no equal in his time.

'84 TD passing leaders:
1. Marino - 48
2. Dave Craig -32
3. Neil Lomax - 28
4. Joe Montana - 28
5. Lynn Dickey - 25

'86 TD passing leaders:
1. Marino - 44
2. Ken Obrien - 25
3. Boomer Esiason - 24
4. Tommy Kramer - 24
5. Jay Schroeder - 22

I'd like for someone who is old enough to explain why he only threw for 30 tds in 85. Still lead the league but something happened to where he went -14 on tds and then +18 the next year

I think he's a better qb than RObert Brazil was a linebacker and Brazil is going on the ballot next year.

Robert Brazile

Career highlights and awards

Looks like HOF material to me. That dude could play! The Oilers switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense based on his skill set. He came out of Jackson State University the same year as Walter Payton. He had an immediate impact when he arrived in the league.....

The media is in the business of selling candy to the eyes and ears of consumers in the form of highlights and hyperbole. There simply aren't a lot of old Marino fans watching his show compared to the number of fans who are interested in the current players. There is always an obvious and severe bias towards current players as the greatest of all times, because hyperbole sells. When Favre played, he was half of what they talked about. Then he retired, and a few years later, he's just another good QB they seldom mention. Then it was all about Peyton. Now it's all about Brady.

Sure, MJD is going to over-hype the current players. Sure, he's going to extra-over-hype players he played with or has a good relationship with to get inside insight. His job depends upon two things ... how the current audience reacts to him, and his relationships with current players. So yeah, he's super-biased ... as most of them are. He's also not a guy who was raised or vetted as an announcer. He's a former-player who is adapting to being an announcer. His sounding board before were his teammates ... now it's the public, and he'll have to adjust his opinions and delivery.

But rest assured, none of the media has any interest in doing any sort of fair analysis between current and past players. It's about ratings ... not accuracy.

FInheaven loves Rivers....every time we play the Chargers, post after post talk up Rivers as if he was a huge threat...and we usually pound the Chargers into the dirt. The team is just soft...always been that way.

Some good offenses every now and then, but soft. Even when Junior was at his peak back in the day, there weren't many others on that defense that you feared.

Man I loved seeing Junior in a Fins uniform, I wish he were on our team longer than he was. What passion.

I'd like for someone who is old enough to explain why he only threw for 30 tds in 85. Still lead the league but something happened to where he went -14 on tds and then +18 the next year

There were major changes to pass interference rules that year that gave defenders more benefits for equal rights to the ball in the air and PI was not called if a pass was deemed uncatchable. I don't remember anything specific about that year Dolphin-wise, but if I had to take a good guess it would be that the referees allowed the DBs to play more and maybe more than they should have with the rule changes that had just taken place.

Team "only" scored 52 TDs in '85, down from 70 in '84. In '86 they scored 56 TDs but only 9 rushing (all 9 by Lorenzo Hampton). They were only 8-8 in '86 and got off to a 1-4 start. I just think they were throwing it more while trailing etc in '86. In '85 they were 12-4 and led a lot of games / ran for more scores but overall points scored was similar. That's the other thing - in '84, we averaged over 100 yards rushing per game - not because we had a good run game but because by the time the 4th quarter rolled around we weren't throwing it much. Had we been trying to run scores up like when Brady threw 50 TDs, Dan may have tossed 60.

There were major changes to pass interference rules that year that gave defenders more benefits for equal rights to the ball in the air and PI was not called if a pass was deemed uncatchable. I don't remember anything specific about that year Dolphin-wise, but if I had to take a good guess it would be that the referees allowed the DBs to play more and maybe more than they should have with the rule changes that had just taken place.
I honestly think it had more to do w situational football play calling. In '85 we were out in front most games. In '86 we were trying to come from behind all the time. Note: '86 was that ridiculous 51-45 OT loss to Jets where Dan threw 6 TDs in a losing effort. That game summed up our D of the mid to late '80's.

Marino had no equal in his time.

'84 TD passing leaders:
1. Marino - 48
2. Dave Craig -32
3. Neil Lomax - 28
4. Joe Montana - 28
5. Lynn Dickey - 25

'86 TD passing leaders:
1. Marino - 44
2. Ken Obrien - 25
3. Boomer Esiason - 24
4. Tommy Kramer - 24
5. Jay Schroeder - 22

I'll say it again - he could have thrown 60 TDs in '84 if they were trying to pad records. When Brady threw 50 to break Peyton's 49 they were running up scores and still throwing TDs late in games.

Philip Rivers is an outstanding quarterback.

But what Dan Marino did in 1984 is without equal and may never be rivaled.

Robert Brazile

Career highlights and awards

Looks like HOF material to me. That dude could play! The Oilers switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense based on his skill set. He came out of Jackson State University the same year as Walter Payton. He had an immediate impact when he arrived in the league.....

I just have a real hard time understanding how Brazile gets consideration before Randy Gradishar.

I've never heard MJD say anything good about Miami...the same with Terrell Davis.

Philip Rivers is an outstanding quarterback.

But what Dan Marino did in 1984 is without equal and may never be rivaled.

The numbers he put up in '86 were almost as impressive. Yeah, we went 8-8 with a **** defense, but he, Duper and Clayton were all three off the charts numbers wise. That season gets no respect, imo.

Back
Top Bottom