Is R.Hunt in your mind our RT or RG in 2020? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is R.Hunt in your mind our RT or RG in 2020?

R.Hunt in 2020 ?

• RT

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • RG

Votes: 44 49.4%

• Total voters
RG as a freshman, LG soph and junior year

He'll get a good look in training camp at tackle, but he does not have enough lateral mobility to be an effective blind-side pass protector for Tua. Once they slide him in at guard, the sky's the limit for him.

RAW, that's what he is. He is a road grader, and I'm down with those, but we have a rookie phenom QB as the new face of the franchise, and he's currently rehabbing from injury, like he has the last couple of years, because injuries have happened a lot to him. Hunt didn't show good pass protection skills, so at best he is a massive projection.

Firstly, I don't think his pass protection merits even a look at RT, because that'll be Tua's blindside. So that position is completely out. LT is typically the pass protection slot, but since Tua is left handed, this may be our run grader spot, and I see Jesse Davis winning that spot. So, LT is out as well. In a year or two, the hope/expectation is that our first round young phenom, Austin Jackson, learns the position and gets up to speed, Jackson will be our RT (Tua blindside protector) and we'll have a competition at LT ... but that's not for 2020, IMHO.

I always saw Hunt as a frontside guard. Typically that would be RG, but since Tua is left handed, that would be LG. When Hunt is given a shot, that is where I expect him to play. Right now, that spot is occupied by our most expensive OL free agent, Ereck Flowers, who was paid a lot of money to play that position, so I doubt Hunt plays there in 2020. But, it is entirely possible we move Flowers to RG and have an open competition at LG with Deiter, Kindley and Hunt all getting a shot. Frankly, I might expect Deiter or Kindley to outperform Hunt at that spot.

As you can tell, I'm not a Hunt fan. Like the kid ... just not his pass protection. If he can stop flopping around and show good pass pro technique, he can change my mind. I have no problems with his run blocking, even though he will take his lumps initially going against the superior quickness of the NFL compared to Louisiana, Lafayette's competition.

Well, I believe Hunt was drafted to play RT or else, why draft Kindley? They already got Flowers to play LG plus they also have Deiter who I'm not counting out just yet. Now I know the question is for the 2020 season and sure, Hunt could start at RG but if he does it might be for a different reason and is not that he can't handle RT. There's going to be no mini camps or OTA's this year so they might want to just keep Davis at RT or else, you could end up have 5 new starters if Davis moves to guard but make no mistake, Hunt was drafted to play RT and that should be where he ends up imo.

RAW, that's what he is. He is a road grader, and I'm down with those, but we have a rookie phenom QB as the new face of the franchise, and he's currently rehabbing from injury, like he has the last couple of years, because injuries have happened a lot to him. Hunt didn't show good pass protection skills, so at best he is a massive projection.

Firstly, I don't think his pass protection merits even a look at RT, because that'll be Tua's blindside. So that position is completely out. LT is typically the pass protection slot, but since Tua is left handed, this may be our run grader spot, and I see Jesse Davis winning that spot. So, LT is out as well. In a year or two, the hope/expectation is that our first round young phenom, Austin Jackson, learns the position and gets up to speed, Jackson will be our RT (Tua blindside protector) and we'll have a competition at LT ... but that's not for 2020, IMHO.

I always saw Hunt as a frontside guard. Typically that would be RG, but since Tua is left handed, that would be LG. When Hunt is given a shot, that is where I expect him to play. Right now, that spot is occupied by our most expensive OL free agent, Ereck Flowers, who was paid a lot of money to play that position, so I doubt Hunt plays there in 2020. But, it is entirely possible we move Flowers to RG and have an open competition at LG with Deiter, Kindley and Hunt all getting a shot. Frankly, I might expect Deiter or Kindley to outperform Hunt at that spot.

As you can tell, I'm not a Hunt fan. Like the kid ... just not his pass protection. If he can stop flopping around and show good pass pro technique, he can change my mind. I have no problems with his run blocking, even though he will take his lumps initially going against the superior quickness of the NFL compared to Louisiana, Lafayette's competition.
This is why I think Tua sits until our OL is settled and we have confidence enough to justify the risk. On the other hand, I think Rosen would be thrilled to have Hunt at RT and Davis at RG. Even if it's experimentation, it should be better than what he had last year.

Ofc, it's possible that neither Tua or Rosen see the field this year.

I think the idea is to see if he can play tackle because it's a tougher position to fill, and, if that doesn't pan out or if the Dolphins find a better option there, just slide him inside, where he's a pretty good bet to be above average.

Being realistic, I think we'll see him at tackle early in his career but eventually he'll become a pretty good asset as a mauling guard.

Hunt is a guard. He doesnt have the body or ability to be RT in the NFL.

Deiter wasnt good at guard, try him out at Center.

Davis was awful at guard, he stays at RT.

Kindley. Good pick but im unsure why after we signed Flowers and drafted Hunt.

Im thinking Grier said that Hunt is RT, to push Davis to perform better.

Kindley is like a backup plan in case the Hunt project fails.

He has the feet to possibly play OT, but probably not to protect the blindside of a lefty QB.

Maybe he is the future LT and Jackson is the RT.

What happens if in next year's draft we are in position to draft Seawell?

There is no way Miami is not better than last years 5-11 and you will need to Top 3 pick to get Sewell, he is the best OT prospect in a decade.

IF Houston collapses and Miami goes 7-9 then the Fins could have two picks high enough to move up for him but he is going 2nd or 3rd Overall.

Last edited:
Arms are too short for OT, and his feet will not be ab le to make it up.

Back
Top Bottom