Is Sewell too Good to Pass Up? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Sewell too Good to Pass Up?

I've been in Penei or trade down mode since we earned the 3 spot.

For years, there have been so many threads saying that you NEVER pass on a major prospect for a need... and that's EXACTLY what we would be doing if we took a smallish WR instead of a once in a decade talent-- especially considering that WRs have never been judged as one of the premium positions in the NFL.

If we take Chase or Smith at 3, it will be one of those major mistakes that front offices make from time to time...

Now... trading down is a different animal.

My brother I would like to believe that is not the case if we draft wide receiver where's the number 3 pick we are screwed. It seems some teams are draft thirsty for a qb. What are the chances someone wants to trade down and we benefit. We are a tackle away from making the right or wrong decision. The dolphins learned a lot from the last draft. I honesty wonder what we actually think of Sewell

Last edited:

For years, there have been so many threads saying that you NEVER pass on a major prospect for a need... and that's EXACTLY what we would be doing if we took a smallish WR instead of a once in a decade talent-- especially considering that WRs have never been judged as one of the premium positions in the NFL.

If we take Chase or Smith at 3, it will be one of those major mistakes that front offices make from time to time...

But the NFL is changing. it is now a passing league. There was a time when RB's just to get drafted high on a regular basis but now they don't. WR IS a premium position now and the main position after QB on offense. You need to have those playmakers. WR's are the ones scoring points. Wr's are the ones that can make big plays when you need them. Not saying a LT doesn't matter cause he does. But you can't say WR is not a premium position. Look at Brady last year with NE where he had no weapons and everybody thought he was done. Now he comes to TB which is loaded with weapons and he's the old Brady at 43 no less and fyi, TB had ONE player on that O-line that was drafted in the first round.

But the NFL is changing. it is now a passing league. There was a time when RB's just to get drafted high on a regular basis but now they don't. WR IS a premium position now and the main position after QB on offense. You need to have those playmakers. WR's are the ones scoring points. Wr's are the ones that can make big plays when you need them. Not saying a LT doesn't matter cause he does. But you can't say WR is not a premium position. Look at Brady last year with NE where he had no weapons and everybody thought he was done. Now he comes to TB which is loaded with weapons and he's the old Brady at 43 no less and fyi, TB had ONE player on that O-line that was drafted in the first round.
Sorry... but I just flat don't agree.

So many excellent WRs come out of the lower rounds, plus there are always WRs available in free agency... plus, you can't get your WR the ball if your QB doesn't FIRST have time to throw.

WRs are a second tier position.

I don't think Smith or Chase would be mistakes per se, but I do agree that Sewell is a better talent.

I’m going to heavily disagree respectfully. WR is not the 2nd most important position on offense after QB. It is the OL and the LT in particular or RT in our case since we have a leftie at QB. You’re not wrong about WR becoming a much more valuable position bc it has but it in no way outranks the OL.

You point to the Super Bowl and reference the difference in Brady and that’s a fair argument but what is the reason Brady was able to use those WRs? It’s bc he had a top 5 OL in front of him. You’re right only Wirfs was drafted in the 1st round but that doesn’t really matter in this case. What matters is how they’ve developed and Ali Marpet and Ryan Jensen both played at a all pro level this past year. They’re some that consider Ryan Jensen the best Center in the league and he’s definitely the nastiest bc that dude is a pure road grader. Donovan Smith at the other Tackle spot is also a very good player. He was drafted 34th overall which is 2 spots away from the 1st round and Marpet was drafted 61st overall which is a 2nd rounder. Throw in Wirfs and that’s 3 pretty high selections used on the OL. Jensen was selected in the 6th round but that was back in 2013 so he’s damn near a 10 year vet at this point.

Brady was only pressured on 24% of his drop backs which was 4th lowest in the league and that’s in Bruce Arians extremely vertical scheme. Also Wirfs graded out at 82.8% for the entire year which ranked as the 2nd best RT in all of football which is amazing considering he was a rookie but the fact he’s playing with Smith Marpet and Jensen around him I’m sure helped him by having veterans presence be all around him.

I’ll also reference the Super Bowl and what happened to what is considered the best QB on the planet. He looked rather human. That’s bc he was running for his life every down. He was pressured on 29/59 of his drop backs which is a Super Bowl record. So even the greatest QB on the planet today can’t overcome pressure. How can we expect Tua to further develop unless we give him the best protection possible?

I’m all for Penei Sewell under the assumption that we have no choice but to pick at #3. I want to trade down and get 1 of the WRs as my 1st preference so I’m with you all the way there. However if we get stuck at #3 Penei Sewell would be 1 helluva consolation prize and it can only help Tua further develop.

I don't think Smith or Chase would be mistakes per se, but I do agree that Sewell is a better talent.
I think it would be a monumental mistake... if we take either @3. There is just no way that either player contains the NFL shredding amount of talent that a #3 pick should deliver. They are complementary pieces... even if they end up living up to what their most ardent backers say there are.

Now... if we were to take one of them @8, after extracting several picks out of another team... or 12... then we will have gotten the value out of the pick that #3 deserves.

It's just a humble opinion... a take... but no WR is worth a pick that high whose name is not Jerry Rice or Randy Moss. Those guys could change an entire game... by themselves.

I think it would be a monumental mistake... if we take either @3. There is just no way that either player contains the NFL shredding amount of talent that a #3 pick should deliver. They are complementary pieces... even if they end up living up to what their most ardent backers say there are.

Now... if we were to take one of them @8, after extracting several picks out of another team... or 12... then we will have gotten the value out of the pick that #3 deserves.

It's just a humble opinion... a take... but no WR is worth a pick that high whose name is not Jerry Rice or Randy Moss. Those guys could change an entire game... by themselves.
I hear you. I'd rather trade down a few spots and get one.

There are several players in this draft you can create this same thread for.

It all comes down to subjective opinion on who you like best.

Then again, the teams biggest needs should also be of major consideration.

There’s no one player in this draft that is so head and shoulders above the rest that need should be ignored.

I love Sewell, a lot. However, he isn't too good to pass up. If there is an attractive trade down offer on the table, then hell yes trade down!!! But if we stay at #3 and overdraft a WR, fire Grier immediately. He had 3 first round picks last draft and butchered at least 2 of them. If he screws this up, he needs to go.

It all depends on the free agency I know I keep saying this on different threads but that’s the way it is in my head. We don’t know if G&F are going to take the FA WR route meaning either looking for a second tier WR or Waddle meaning Sewell May be the shout.

If we don’t pick up any WRs in FA then clearly we’ll all be expecting a WR or two in the draft. Can’t wait though, not long to go before we see what G&F do in FA, we can then have all kinds of mad theories for the draft. Gonna be good times, love the banter after FA

For the OL, its more important that the least skilled player on the unit is average than the most skilled player on the unit be great. Tackles cost more money than WRs, but when it comes to actual importance in an offense, Having 3 good WRs is just as important as having a good OL.

Sorry... but I just flat don't agree.

So many excellent WRs come out of the lower rounds, plus there are always WRs available in free agency... plus, you can't get your WR the ball if your QB doesn't FIRST have time to throw.

WRs are a second tier position.
The fact you can get WR's in the later rounds is a different thing. I'm saying WR's are the 2nd most important position on offense. If you don't agree with that then I don't know what to tell you. I agree you can get good WR's in any rounds but you're acting as if WR's don't matter and if that's what you think then you're stuck in the 70's NFL

I’m going to heavily disagree respectfully. WR is not the 2nd most important position on offense after QB. It is the OL and the LT in particular or RT in our case since we have a leftie at QB. You’re not wrong about WR becoming a much more valuable position bc it has but it in no way outranks the OL.

You point to the Super Bowl and reference the difference in Brady and that’s a fair argument but what is the reason Brady was able to use those WRs? It’s bc he had a top 5 OL in front of him. You’re right only Wirfs was drafted in the 1st round but that doesn’t really matter in this case. What matters is how they’ve developed and Ali Marpet and Ryan Jensen both played at a all pro level this past year. They’re some that consider Ryan Jensen the best Center in the league and he’s definitely the nastiest bc that dude is a pure road grader. Donovan Smith at the other Tackle spot is also a very good player. He was drafted 34th overall which is 2 spots away from the 1st round and Marpet was drafted 61st overall which is a 2nd rounder. Throw in Wirfs and that’s 3 pretty high selections used on the OL. Jensen was selected in the 6th round but that was back in 2013 so he’s damn near a 10 year vet at this point.

Brady was only pressured on 24% of his drop backs which was 4th lowest in the league and that’s in Bruce Arians extremely vertical scheme. Also Wirfs graded out at 82.8% for the entire year which ranked as the 2nd best RT in all of football which is amazing considering he was a rookie but the fact he’s playing with Smith Marpet and Jensen around him I’m sure helped him by having veterans presence be all around him.

I’ll also reference the Super Bowl and what happened to what is considered the best QB on the planet. He looked rather human. That’s bc he was running for his life every down. He was pressured on 29/59 of his drop backs which is a Super Bowl record. So even the greatest QB on the planet today can’t overcome pressure. How can we expect Tua to further develop unless we give him the best protection possible?

I’m all for Penei Sewell under the assumption that we have no choice but to pick at #3. I want to trade down and get 1 of the WRs as my 1st preference so I’m with you all the way there. However if we get stuck at #3 Penei Sewell would be 1 helluva consolation prize and it can only help Tua further develop.
Well, you're making some points for me actually. You said TB developed some O-line guys. Well we drafted 3 of those last year, shouldn't we give them time to develop too? The KC O-line is very good but in the SB they were missing both their starting OT's and hence they had all those problems. I'm not saying the O-line is not important. I'm not even saying we should draft at least one O-line guy in this draft and maybe even two. I'm saying we don't have to draft a LT at 3.

Back
Top Bottom