Is Sewell too Good to Pass Up? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Sewell too Good to Pass Up?

I want to respond to one thing here, because it is a narrative that I have heard before and I think the narrative is completely wrong.

I remember the 2008 draft, and there was no thought that taking Jake Long was the 'safe' pick. Rather it was thought that NONE of the QBs in that draft were very good. Matt Ryan was considered a meh prospect from a second tier school, and the others were all considered to be career back-up types. Yes Matt Ryan ended up being an average sort of QB... maybe a bit above that, but the others were all bad except Flacco... who ended up being another Meh... sort of QB. ...and Flacco came from Delaware of all places.

...and you have to give Jake his props, he was an All Pro tackle almost immediately. Injuries ruined that man, we was THAT good.

In 2005, we DESPERATELY tried to trade down, but in those days, it was next to impossible because of the rookie signing contracts that those guys got in that era. It was also still in the end of the RB era, 3 RBs went in the first 5 picks... so this was not a 'safe' pick either. One, we had to make a choice there, and two RBs were well worth that choice... then.

This idea that those picks were made to be 'safe' just isn't accurate. It's a sort of sloppy reasoning that applies the trends of today's game and drafts to an earlier time. ...and blaming the current GM/Coach for what a team did in 2005 or 2008 and implying a trend is... a real stretch.
When we drafted Long some people were saying that if he couldn't play LT he'd at least be a good RT and hence it was safe to pick him. Like you said Long was a very good LT.......what good did that do for us as a whole? No need to answer that. I know your mind is made up and that's fine. All we can do is talk about all this stuff as none of us gets to make any decisions anyway.

btw, I'm not blaming Grier for what we did 10 years ago so I don't know why you mention that.

When we drafted Long some people were saying that if he couldn't play LT he'd at least be a good RT and hence it was safe to pick him. Like you said Long was a very good LT.......what good did that do for us as a whole? No need to answer that. I know your mind is made up and that's fine. All we can do is talk about all this stuff as none of us gets to make any decisions anyway.

btw, I'm not blaming Grier for what we did 10 years ago so I don't know why you mention that.
I mentioned it because you said, the front office had been playing it safe for years and years...
That sounds like one continuous sort of blame, but ok.

Picking Long did not get us to the Super Bowl, but neither would have any other players from that draft I think, so I'm not sure what your statement proves... or means?
Does this mean that every team who picked a player in that draft and didn't subsequently win a super bowl picked the wrong guy?
I dont think you mean that, but that is inherent in the logic of your question.

I think there is a tendency, not just by you, but by many to say... we took a OT in the top 5 once and we didn't win any Super Bowls... so never again, and this just doesn't make any logical sense... every situation and player are different.

I mentioned it because you said, the front office had been playing it safe for years and years...
That sounds like one continuous sort of blame, but ok.

Picking Long did not get us to the Super Bowl, but neither would have any other players from that draft I think, so I'm not sure what your statement proves... or means?
Does this mean that every team who picked a player in that draft and didn't subsequently win a super bowl picked the wrong guy?
I dont think you mean that, but that is inherent in the logic of your question.

I think there is a tendency, not just by you, but by many to say... we took a OT in the top 5 once and we didn't win any Super Bowls... so never again, and this just doesn't make any logical sense... every situation and player are different.
Well, there are people that think we should never draft a WR high. My point about the fact we didn't win anything with Long is that you and others sound as if we'll never win anything unless we draft Sewell. Now I'm sure you can say I feel that way about playmakers.

Over the years we've had Long and then Tunsil but our offense hasn't been very good with them. When was the last time we had a top playmaking WR? Irving Fryar maybe? Clayton and Duper. Those were the years when we had a great offense. Not saying the offense was great only because of the WR's but I'll say it again, our offense will never be great till we get some playmaking WR's out there regardless of who our LT is but like I've said before fever, I don't get to make the decisions.

Well, there are people that think we should never draft a WR high. My point about the fact we didn't win anything with Long is that you and others sound as if we'll never win anything unless we draft Sewell. Now I'm sure you can say I feel that way about playmakers.

Over the years we've had Long and then Tunsil but our offense hasn't been very good with them. When was the last time we had a top playmaking WR? Irving Fryar maybe? Clayton and Duper. Those were the years when we had a great offense. Not saying the offense was great only because of the WR's but I'll say it again, our offense will never be great till we get some playmaking WR's out there regardless of who our LT is but like I've said before fever, I don't get to make the decisions.
I have never... not once said or even suggested that we'll never win anything if we don't draft Sewell.

I've said this repeatedly... yes we need to bring in a WR. Yes, we need it to be this year. Yes, we should probably draft two of them.

Where the disagreement sits is solely in one location. Cost/value of the top three in THIS draft. I think the top two are over-rated, and that neither are anywhere near guaranteed to be star flankers in the NFL. (I'm higher on Waddle as a slot).

I've also said that the choice is Sewell or trade down... with trading down for a haul of picks being the best answer.

Like you, I will be unhappy if we don't take WRs... I'm just completely unsold on the WRs that you like.

I've said this repeatedly... yes we need to bring in a WR. Yes, we need it to be this year. Yes, we should probably draft two of them.

Where the disagreement sits is solely in one location. Cost/value of the top three in THIS draft. I think the top two are over-rated, and that neither are anywhere near guaranteed to be star flankers in the NFL. (I'm higher on Waddle as a slot).

I've also said that the choice is Sewell or trade down... with trading down for a haul of picks being the best answer.

Like you, I will be unhappy if we don't take WRs... I'm just completely unsold on the WRs that you like.
that's fair. I like Waddle also btw

Not at all... in fact, I think he was better than I expected considering his age and the marrow donation issue.

I think he'll be extremely good, maybe even as soon as this year.
So you'd agree that we "might" not need a new LT but we know for a fact that we need better WR's? In that case it's settled. WR it is....lol

Not sure if I asked you this but have you given up on Jackson?
Actually... I like all three of the rookies that we drafted last year.

I think their ceilings are all very high. I just don't think Robert Hunt is a Tackle long term, as a Guard, I think he could be a Pro Bowl player. But we don't have a Center (unless Deiter steps up) and as I've said, I don't trust Hunt not to get Tua killed.

These picks don't have to be in the first though. If we could get the 4th or 5th Tackle in the 2nd, and the 4th or 5th Center in the 4th, I'd be very satisfied.

I'm nowhere nearly as anti-WR as some think... what I am is anti-Smith, and meh-Chase.

I think their ceilings are all very high. I just don't think Robert Hunt is a Tackle long term, as a Guard, I think he could be a Pro Bowl player. But we don't have a Center (unless Deiter steps up) and as I've said, I don't trust Hunt not to get Tua killed.

These picks don't have to be in the first though. If we could get the 4th or 5th Tackle in the 2nd, and the 4th or 5th Center in the 4th, I'd be very satisfied.

I'm nowhere nearly as anti-WR as some think... what I am is anti-Smith, and meh-Chase.
This is a good OT class for sure and I'd be fine drafting one in the 2nd round. Also, I like some of the centers as well and I really like Meinerz. He gets his guy on the ground on a regular basis so if we want corn there will be plenty to pick from on day two and really I'd be ok going corn at 18 or if we move back from there. There's value there.

Hunt is the question for me and the reason I think Sewell could be a strong possibility.

If I'm a betting man, I think the team trades down. In that case, Sewell should be off the board.

Question...where would you rank Hunt among RT's in this draft?

Hunt is the question for me and the reason I think Sewell could be a strong possibility.

If I'm a betting man, I think the team trades down. In that case, Sewell should be off the board.

Question...where would you rank Hunt among RT's in this draft?
For most teams, he'd be fine. No star, but ok.

For ours, with a lefty QB; I think he's more of a risk than we should consider. His strength is power and forward.

I'd like to take a guy with better feet and there are at least 6 or 7 I think are better.

For most teams, he'd be fine. No star, but ok.

For ours, with a lefty QB; I think he's more of a risk than we should consider. His strength is power and forward.

I'd like to take a guy with better feet and there are at least 6 or 7 I think are better.
That number seems about right. I do like Hunt, but ultimately his best position may be guard especially with Tua being a lefty.

I haven't seen him play, but Hudson from Cincinnati sounds interesting maybe around that 2b pick. There's also an OT from Notre Dame who could fit in that range.

If I am drafting Sewell he is playing RT.

RT is the most important OL position for the Fins and that is where he goes.

Back
Top Bottom