Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade?

Great questions @circumstances !

We play more nickel than base, and we play dime a bit as well. Nickel means 5 DB's so only a total of 6 players divided between DL and LB, which typically means only 2 LB's. Sometimes it's a 33, sometimes it's a 42, sometimes it's a 32 or 41. Our strength is our ability to morph into different looks and still fill the roles. An example would be Kyle Van Noy, he's an OLB much of the time, but plays as a DE quite often. When Wilkins is an LDE and Van Noy becomes a pass rusher, that essentially plays Wilkins as a LDT. Our defense is hard to prepare for because of our versatility, but even worse for offenses, we're incredibly unpredictable, because it's hard to identify traditional roles. Typically QB's want to identify the Mike (Middle LB) and the Safeties coverage, and if they can determine what the CB's are doing (Man vs. Zone vs. Combo). Those reads for the Mike and DL front are hard for teams against us, because our LB's can lineup as an OLB, and shift into an ILB or up to a DE, or slide back into a zone coverage. We might have a DT who drops into coverage over the middle and completely surprises a QB who doesn't expect them to be there ... and that sort of defensive unpredictability sometimes produces takeaways.

When we draft edge players, there aren't as many Emmanuel Ogbah DE types as we're looking for Kyle Van Noy hybrid OLB/DE types. Our defense is unusual, and extremely adaptable. It's not the most elite at anything, but it is designed to be good against everything and hard for teams to play against. Games like the Bills blowout don't usually happen. Having a combo like Byron Jones being a shutdown CB and Xavien Howard being a takeaway monster, this defense really can be a nightmare for passing offenses. When we lacked a pass rush, it simply didn't work. But with the additions of Ogbah and Van Noy as well as the emergence of guys like Van Ginkel, we've really forced QB's to get the ball out of their hands quickly, allowing Jones to blanket guys and cause 3-and-outs, or gamble on throwing at X and getting INT's, or throwing into the danger zone over the middle and never getting a bobbled ball, late throw, or fall victim to dropping DT's.

Our defense is like a minefield. They are forced to run through the minefield by our pass rush, and we blow up their offense quite often because of it.
Excellent post enjoyed reading that and agree with your points.

My question is how good can Van Ginkel become because he does intrigue me and really stepped up this season. Thinking he may in a year or two take over Van Noy's role totally if he keeps developing.
Still would add another pass rusher as pointed out above it would add to the versatility of where are they coming from and you can never have enough.

Even with our draft haul and moderate cap room, you can't invest significant assets everywhere. You've got to mostly stand pat somewhere. With Wilkins, Davis, and Sieler being young, improving and versatile, I'd stand pat on the (interior) D line. Resign Godchaux if he's cheap. Develop Stowbridge and Jones. (Man we got a lot of B. Joneses). Maybe a day 3 DT. Use early draft and/or FA to improve off ball and edge rush LB's. And dramatically improve skill positions on the O.

I agree with Awsi above, our D is prone to regress. I think our Defensive DVOA of 11th is where we can be next year. If the O improves to better than average, that's a solid playoff team. Build from there.

Excellent post enjoyed reading that and agree with your points.

My question is how good can Van Ginkel become because he does intrigue me and really stepped up this season. Thinking he may in a year or two take over Van Noy's role totally if he keeps developing.
Still would add another pass rusher as pointed out above it would add to the versatility of where are they coming from and you can never have enough.
I also like Van Ginkel, but IMHO, he has some limitations. He has the speed, and surprisingly good agility, but he lacks power and isn't a physical tackler. I do not see his ceiling nearly as high as Kyle Van Noy, but as he develops his body physically (adding muscle and bulk) he should improve, and can be better than he was this year, but a good step below Van Noy. There are too many instances of Van Ginkel holding on to a ball carrier and unable to get him down for several yards, as well as shedding blocks being rather mediocre. He is one of those guys we can scheme open, but not able to get open often enough under normal circumstances. Please realize, this is just my humble opinion, and it is quite reasonable for people to see Van Ginkel's potential as better than I see it.

Van Ginkel had a very positive growth season, realizing more on his potential than the previous year and significantly improved to the point where we can be quite happy with him. I just see him as a role player. Let's hope he proves me wrong!

I also like Van Ginkel, but IMHO, he has some limitations. He has the speed, and surprisingly good agility, but he lacks power and isn't a physical tackler. I do not see his ceiling nearly as high as Kyle Van Noy, but as he develops his body physically (adding muscle and bulk) he should improve, and can be better than he was this year, but a good step below Van Noy. There are too many instances of Van Ginkel holding on to a ball carrier and unable to get him down for several yards, as well as shedding blocks being rather mediocre. He is one of those guys we can scheme open, but not able to get open often enough under normal circumstances. Please realize, this is just my humble opinion, and it is quite reasonable for people to see Van Ginkel's potential as better than I see it.

Van Ginkel had a very positive growth season, realizing more on his potential than the previous year and significantly improved to the point where we can be quite happy with him. I just see him as a role player. Let's hope he proves me wrong!
Thanks for the answer.
Yes on the building of muscle, it should help him in tackling and shedding blocks better, that is why I said a year or two. Unknown if he will be as good as Van Noy yet but could develop into a useful replacement.

how often are we in a 3 man front?

how often are we in a 4 man front?

if we are running 3 down linemen a significant amount of time, getting a true NT is a high priority.

NT is not Raekwon or Christian's best position (or even Godchaux if he comes back).
Agree with this and I hope we can snag someone to eat up some space

I’d be okay with bringing Godchaux back on a team friendly deal, but nothing too pricey. He’s been average at best

Van Ginkel and Sieler were 2 of the biggest Defensive improvers from the past season. Don't forget that we also get Vince Biegel back from injury (saw a little video of him rehabbing recently and he looks good again). I thought that Biegel and Van Ginkel have pretty similar skillsets.

I'm of the opinion that while I like Sieler, he's a rotation guy. A pass rushing RDT/RE but not a starter. He wears off as the game goes on, he makes plays but he fails to maintain leverage and play the half man consistently against the run.

Davis has been great at NT but I think he'd be better as a LE.

Wilkins has mostly played LE for us with a little RDT but I like him better starting at RDT.

Godchaux got injured early but he played mostly NT with some LE, same as last year. I don't like him at NT, I do like him at LE.

Personally I would like to bring Godchaux back for depth on a prove it 1yr deal as a back up LE/NT. He not only got injured on his contract year after being solid his first 3 seasons but he's also due to become a FA in a year the market might not be there for him. I think we can bring him back for around $2.5M on a 1 yr deal IMO.

I would like a true monster of an NT drafted.

Or at the very least a starting LE to move Wilkins to RDT or a starting RDT and keep Wilkins at LE.

Christian Barmore would make a nice RDT.

There's several interesting prospects at LE and NT.

Who would you bring to complete our 3 front guys?

If the FO decides to not move the two starting pieces they already have around, Barmore at RDT would make the most sense although I feel Wilkins goes to waste a little bit at LE.

RDT Barmore/Sieler/Wilkins
NT Davis/Godchaux/Jones
LE Wilkins/Ogbah/Stowbridge/Godchaux

Sounds nice.
Well thought. What happened to Banito at NT?

I just know we were soft against the run so first a good middle linebacker, possible nose tackle helps solves that issue. Also looking at a decent backup to McCain who needs a bit more thump. That's 3 defensive pickups with yes later rounds but if we can get a outside great de edge rusher then offense might have to suffer.
I have no problem with your thinking but to get enough pics we may have to trade down from three.

Tyler Shelvin makes sense as a rotational NT to help keep guys fresh. Miami needs to strengthen its interior.

Like someone said, you only have so many resources. I think our line is ok, I’d prefer to upgrade a middle linebacker, a FS and another DB to replace Needham. I really like Elijah Molden.

They need to bring in another big body to eat up double teams. Not a major investment but someone that can do what John Jenkins did a year ago. Play 25-35% of the snaps and always be out there in obvious run situations.

I would guess that Godchaux will get paid more than Miami wants to invest. Hes a solid rotation player coming off an injury and I'm sure will go to whoever pays the most. If he can't find a multi-year offer anywhere then I'm sure they'd take him back but I think he'll get it somewhere.

Ogbah, Wilkins, Sieler and Davis are all coming back and will likely be the core of the rotation. Stowbridge didn't look bad when he was out there and might earn some time as well. I think its a pretty solid group that should only get better. Bring in a veteran nose tackle, someone along the lines of Roches in Tampa Bay, and invest a later round pick in another project player.

Back
Top Bottom