Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade?

I am not that worry about defense.. add pass rusher DE in draft..other than that wk on offense side off ball.

I just think the further you line up davis away from the center ball snap spot tbe less return you are likely to get out of the player. I liked him best over the centers face this year. I think you gonna ask for more lateral range the further you kick him out alignment wise

although at the same thing I wouldn’t really consider him a prototype nose either...that’s probably frame driven I suppose in terms of my thinking there

I just think the further you line up davis away from the center ball snap spot tbe less return you are likely to get out of the player. I liked him best over the centers face this year. I think you gonna ask for more lateral range the further you kick him out alignment wise

although at the same thing I wouldn’t really consider him a prototype nose either...that’s probably frame driven I suppose in terms of my thinking there
I believe you are correct in both assessments. Davis is probably best as a DT in a 4-3.....

The thread title reminded me of a soap opera intro.

so you thinking 3 tech? If that’s the case he’s gonna have to finish more
Yes....I think if you combine him with another DT that offsets his skills, you would get the best results.

For Miami, I thought he was more productive at NT than DE, but again that could have been coincidence as he had more time on the field. It was really hard to assess him at DE so early in his rookie season.

The wildcard is what happens when some of the former Patriots DL hit the market again. Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton are entering their last year with reasonable contracts. Trey Flowers contract balloons in 2022 and the dead money starts to become more realistic. Their 3rd contract may allow for something that fits the salary cap as a rotational player.

As for the players, Danny Shelton may offer immediate help. Our edge players wore down by the end of the season and an established interior lineman may be what was needed. His game may compliment Wilkins the most, which may be important as to see what else Christian has to offer.

Is he there because we have no one else or is he there because he might contribute next year and we don’t need to draft a true nose tackle?
That's the question.

I wouldn't dismiss the fact that player development is one of Flo's strong suits. We armchair coaches, for the most part, only see what a player is. Flo seems to see what a player can be.

Technique it a huge part of every position on the field, and many of these young guys may have upside, to which us common folk may be oblivious.

Some will develop 8nto solid starters, some will not.

I would say it's obvious that some positions, like WR or perhaps LB need serious attention.

I think D-line, like O-line, is more in need of a "tweak" here or there.

A true offseason will do wonders for some of these players.

I think Flo probably has a good handle on the situation.

so you thinking 3 tech? If that’s the case he’s gonna have to finish more
Where do you see him as the best fit? Do you see him as a NT, as a DE, or do you see him in a 4-3 next to another DT that demands double teams

Sieler and Ogbah wore down late. That's probably par for them. Always thing regression instead of straight line uptick, if the ability level is not outstanding.

I don't think Davis can make enough plays outside. He's best where he is, a big clogger.

We've got lots of impressive hard trying guys on defense. The problem in 2021 is that the turnover rate figures to regress and also the injury situation on the entire team figures to be less positive. I have seen others post those themes and be met with denial. But you've got to look at it that way. The historically random aspects seldom trend in the same direction multiple seasons in a row.
This is one of the reasons I think it's shortsighted to ignore defense in the draft. Yes, the offense needs playmakers badly, no denying that. But the defense is likely to come back down to earth next year due to injuries, turnovers, etc. So if a defensive stud is there, but a less talented offensive player fits a need, take the bpa.

I am not that worry about defense.. add pass rusher DE in draft..other than that wk on offense side off ball.
Kind of depends what good values we find in free agency.

I think we desperately need another versatile ILB, and depth on the D-line.

I do think the early part of the draft will be offensive skills dominant, one way or another.

The wildcard is what happens when some of the former Patriots DL hit the market again. Malcom Brown and Danny Shelton are entering their last year with reasonable contracts. Trey Flowers contract balloons in 2022 and the dead money starts to become more realistic. Their 3rd contract may allow for something that fits the salary cap as a rotational player.

As for the players, Danny Shelton may offer immediate help. Our edge players wore down by the end of the season and an established interior lineman may be what was needed. His game may compliment Wilkins the most, which may be important as to see what else Christian has to offer.

yep might be some bargain signings available to us. Some vet pieces that will be cheap for our scheme

fill in types

Last edited:
Where do you see him as the best fit? Do you see him as a NT, as a DE, or do you see him in a 4-3 next to another DT that demands double teams

he’s tough his frame is more 5 tech to me. His range is more middle clogger type. As a 3 tech I need more finish hell I want more finish out of Christian Wilkins as a 3 tech. And I think that’s probably his ideal spot in terms of skill set he’s just a pretty maxed out athlete upside wise...

there aren’t that many guys that tall that don’t struggle with leverage battles in tbe trenches. So davis is a tough assessment.

and like I said the further he gets away from the ball I think the more you are gonna say where’s raekwon davis in terms of making plays on the ball.

at least right now he can force a guy wide with it when over the centers face etc and with that straight line pass rush I think you want to feature bull rush ask which also means the balls gonna have to run into him or the qb is for him to finish in the pass game

Sieler and Ogbah wore down late. That's probably par for them. Always thing regression instead of straight line uptick, if the ability level is not outstanding.

I don't think Davis can make enough plays outside. He's best where he is, a big clogger.

We've got lots of impressive hard trying guys on defense. The problem in 2021 is that the turnover rate figures to regress and also the injury situation on the entire team figures to be less positive. I have seen others post those themes and be met with denial. But you've got to look at it that way. The historically random aspects seldom trend in the same direction multiple seasons in a row.

which is why we still need to add high level talent to a scheme that doesn’t feature much of it on d

Thanks for the answer.
Yes on the building of muscle, it should help him in tackling and shedding blocks better, that is why I said a year or two. Unknown if he will be as good as Van Noy yet but could develop into a useful replacement.
Also worth noting, Van Noy was an elite prospect coming out with a 1st round buzz, whereas Van Ginkel was not. Van Noy didn't work out as a traditional LB, and kinda kicked around the league until he ended up in New England. It was precisely his blend of flexibility and intellectual acumen that allowed him to grow into the hybrid role that suited him so well. Van Ginkel also possesses these traits, so it is possible that he keeps improving each year and becomes a better player than I expect--particularly in our defense which is suited to his skills.

Back
Top Bottom