Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Sieler really a starter? Where should we play Davis and Wilkins? Should we resign Godchaux? Which position on the DL should we upgrade?

Van Ginkel and Sieler were 2 of the biggest Defensive improvers from the past season. Don't forget that we also get Vince Biegel back from injury (saw a little video of him rehabbing recently and he looks good again). I thought that Biegel and Van Ginkel have pretty similar skillsets.
Agreed. I see Van Ginkel as more of a speed everywhere guy and Biegel as a strait line burst guy, but that's probably splitting hairs. Good points all around as always @spiketex , thanks!

Biegel is more a limited range power rusher who coming off an Achilles injury at his age could lose some of his meal ticket as an edge player. His ability to convert speed to power. Not that his speed in that aspect of things was ever all that great to begin with.

kinda try hard overachiever type due to the atblete.

maybe he’s in the rotation and maybe he’s not even brought back to camp.

he started off well in 2019 but faded late and frankly we didn’t have much to begin with edge wise.

Agreed. I see Van Ginkel as more of a speed everywhere guy and Biegel as a strait line burst guy, but that's probably splitting hairs. Good points all around as always @spiketex , thanks!
Did Biegel win the Hightower role from McMillan, who got relegated to and eventually replaced by Elandon Roberts. Vince seems to have some leg drive and a more compact body to take on linemen on a regular basis.

Van Noy and Van Ginkel have leaner, lengthier body builds, which probably benefits from having multiple role and occassionally taking on linemen. Too many snaps and injuries affected Van Noy this season. If the team makes the playoffs next season, it's probably a good idea to reduce his snaps and have a suitable back-up so he didn't have to return from injury too soon.

In an amorphous defense, is there really a spot for a designated pass rusher?

Did Biegel win the Hightower role from McMillan, who got relegated to and eventually replaced by Elandon Roberts. Vince seems to have some leg drive and a more compact body to take on linemen on a regular basis.

Van Noy and Van Ginkel have leaner, lengthier body builds, which probably benefits from having multiple role and occassionally taking on linemen. Too many snaps and injuries affected Van Noy this season. If the team makes the playoffs next season, it's probably a good idea to reduce his snaps and have a suitable back-up so he didn't have to return from injury too soon.

no

biegel was a 34 olb on ball player

mcmillan and roberts were mikes...but roberts pretty much only gives you a occasional gap shoot or fill tackle for loss. And his playing style is so kamikazee that’s he’s not only scraping shelf life with it but earning potential too

yeah you could bring him back for a one year stop gap or even 2 deep and cheap I’m sure just don’t plan on getting 16 games out of that playing style. He’s gonna age real fast in the league with his game

he leads with his head a lot...and I’m serious when I say he’s pretty much late to everything else. The poa fill has value but the lack of range and feel for things from the inside leaves plays/yards on the field

Vince Biegel got injured, so not sure he actually won anything, but yes, he was tried all along the LB corps at different times in the past couple years.

no

biegel was a 34 olb on ball player

mcmillan and roberts were mikes...but roberts pretty much only gives you a occasional gap shoot or fill tackle for loss. And his playing style is so kamikazee that’s he’s not only scraping shelf life with it but earning potential too

yeah you could bring him back for a one year stop gap or even 2 deep and cheap I’m sure just don’t plan on getting 16 games out of that playing style. He’s gonna age real fast in the league with his game

he leads with his head a lot...and I’m serious when I say he’s pretty much late to everything else. The poa fill has value but the lack of range and feel for things from the inside leaves plays/yards on the field
Thanks.

IIRC, there were articles when Flores started that indicated he wanted McMillan to study Hightower. Since McMillan snaps were limited at the start of the year and Biegel joined the team late, I assumed McMillan failed at SAM and Biegel was a pleasant surprise.

Patriots seemed to have spread the snaps around with the LBs and expect Miami to try to achieve this. If he healthy, Biegel seems play a position that the team is likely to use a high draft pick. If so, Vince provides veteran presence and competition for a rookie.

They also went after Snacks Harrison, which may indicate a desire for an experience 2 gapper and focus their defensive draft on edge and dbs.

Last edited:
Is he there because we have no one else or is he there because he might contribute next year and we don’t need to draft a true nose tackle?
I actually like that Davis, Godchaux and Benito are different from each other. I think Benito can be a better space eater.

I would love to see Parsons at the 8th-10th pick, then going offense the rest of the draft. Use the capital from trading back to get Waddle,Harris , Toney and Humphreys

I wouldn't hate Biegel backing someone else up as ROLB/Mack/Stack backer.

Having said that as much as it pains me to say I think there'll be better options than both him and Roberts.

Roberts made my blood boil sometimes, I don't mind him leaving but Biegel tried so hard at a time when it was all so ugly and gloomy he'll always have my sympathy. He looks to be a great dude.

Having said that outside him taking absolute bare league minimum I think I'll just look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I like siler as rotational depth. He’s pretty much paid like it to me too

He looks like one of those guys to me the more snaps you play him tbe less return you will get

3rd piece in a rotation ideal type

I think it’s a big offseason for Benito jones either crack this rotation for reasons other than attrition or Miami may start looking for something that can. Real world I think they probably will anyways cause I don’t think he showed enough for them to pencil in a spot snaps wise as a plan a

Even with our draft haul and moderate cap room, you can't invest significant assets everywhere. You've got to mostly stand pat somewhere.
I agree with this. D line and DBs are the areas to roll with what you've got this year unless an exceptional upgrade becomes available. The focus for upgrades this off season needs to be skill positions, O line, and linebackers.

Biegel will be 28 and coming off a major injury next year... and he was only fair to begin with. While I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him to camp on a non-guaranteed offer... I don't really think he'll stick.

Sieler will only be 26 and looks like a front-end rotational piece (meaning he'll play more downs than he sits). I think he is the guy who comes off the field when your designated pass-rusher comes into the game.

Stowbridge, to me, looks like another Sieler.

If Benito Jones is ever more than a NT, I'll eat my hat.

We need a real pass rusher... and I've said this before... I REALLY like Rousseau if we can get him. We've got a room full of run stoppers and edge setter now... we need a pass rusher... maybe two.

Have not looked at any DL in the draft.

Earlier in the year, I wanted Surtain.

Now that we have the #3...We might not ever be picking this high again for a long time.

Would rather bolster the offense, but you gotta stay true to your evaluation.

That 3rd round pick may be the place to add more to the defense.

davis did very well , and i would slide him to end
sieler has been a great find and very good rotational guy
but i want a true NT , when malcolm brown gets cut from saints
i go after him ex pat #1 pick
or in draft tyler shelvin ,alim mcNeil

to a lesser degree , Tedarrell Slaton,Naquan Jones,

Back
Top Bottom