Is Special Teams the problem? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Special Teams the problem?

Dreads-4-Prez

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I know that there are a lot of reasons why Miami has had a sub-par year. The more popular aspects to blame have been Jay, coaching and the O-line, but what about Special teams?

Olinde Mare is having a pretty bad year by his standards, Matt Turk is definitely better than Royals was but still not great, and when is the last time Miami ran back a kick? I just haven't heard many people complaining about Special teams but let's face it, they're not very good.

It's definiately A problem. But I wouldn't say it's THE problem.

Special teams was supposed to be a big focus this offseason. But I must say that we have regressed in every aspect except punting (simply cutting Royals made us better. lol). David Bowen's return certainly helps us. For a special teamer, he is a rare body. We missed him out there. But losing Trent Gamble for the year hurt too (as did losing McGarrahan). Charlie Rogers was a bust, twice. And Ed Perry's absence hurts more than we know.

Simply put, I think we had too many new/young faces out there. And Olindo's struggles have cost us some games.

olindo mare needs to be the first one to be cut or take a cut.:fire:

I said two weeks ago special teams was going to cost us a game and they didn't do anything to help us win or lose against NE. While turk held the snaps good and punted decent, Thompson was screend from a punt he should have downed inside the 5 that went to the endzone and NE also fumbled a punt and we don't have to go getters on special teams to be at the right place to recover it so it went right to NE. If MCGarrahan and Bowens were there I think Miami recovers that fumbled punt. Overall I believe they just play lazy and don't rush to the ball. I think Keith Armstrong is a poor ST coach and it's reflected on the unit.

I think Keith Armstrong, along with Wanny & Tony Wise should be gone next year. He's no Mike Westoff that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Sherif
I said two weeks ago special teams was going to cost us a game and they didn't do anything to help us win or lose against NE. While turk held the snaps good and punted decent, Thompson was screend from a punt he should have downed inside the 5 that went to the endzone and NE also fumbled a punt and we don't have to go getters on special teams to be at the right place to recover it so it went right to NE. If MCGarrahan and Bowens were there I think Miami recovers that fumbled punt. Overall I believe they just play lazy and don't rush to the ball. I think Keith Armstrong is a poor ST coach and it's reflected on the unit.

What snap/s did Turk hold good? :lol:

Originally posted by RICKHURD
I know that there are a lot of reasons why Miami has had a sub-par year. The more popular aspects to blame have been Jay, coaching and the O-line, but what about Special teams?

Olinde Mare is having a pretty bad year by his standards, Matt Turk is definitely better than Royals was but still not great, and when is the last time Miami ran back a kick? I just haven't heard many people complaining about Special teams but let's face it, they're not very good.

I'm surprised wanstedt hasn't used brock Marion on KRs. He always seemed to get decent KO returns.

Originally posted by RICKHURD

that's true, they can be better but in my opinion if it wasn't for turk, the first half of the NE game would have been 21-0 or 35-0 because he had some pretty good punts in the first half

Well it certainly isnt part of the solution. Would love to see them shake up who's back there returning kicks.

Re: Re: Is Special Teams the problem?

Originally posted by DeDolfan

I'm surprised wanstedt hasn't used brock Marion on KRs. He always seemed to get decent KO returns.

Marion was no longer used on KOs because he always seemed to get burned out by the end of the season.

how bout everything except the D is the problem and the pu**iest training camp i have ever seen. If any of you went you'll know what i mean. I could have produced the hype Derrious produced with the type of things they were doing there.

The special teams haven't been great but not awful. Our field goal kicking hasn't been good, but we have been alright in kick return coverage. We have a lot of touchbacks and we have really only allowed one big return which was against the Ravens. Our punting has really improved with Matt Turk.

Back
Top Bottom