Is Talent More Important than Skills? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Talent More Important than Skills?

Disnardo

Premium Member
Reaction score
Talent = Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.

Leadership = Guidance; direction.

*Skill = An art, trade, or technique, particularly one requiring use of the hands or body.

Plainly speaking we keep hearing and saying this Dolphin’s team if full of talented players, you hear it from the media, the coaches and fans. We hear that this talented team lacked leadership last season and DW address that this year by acquiring a few veterans.

IMO this team has talented players and leadership, but I believe what has been strongly missing the last few years on this team, when it mattered the most, has been the *skills that these players need to continually perform at effecient level.

IMO the talent comes from the brain or mind, you can say it's a nack or intuitive. Now, that talent has to be distributed to the rest of the body for execution. This is where skills are needed.

Without these skills they cannot execute or they execute at a lower effeciency, and this seems to me, why we have heard so many times, from DW, “We did not execute,†“We did not make the plays,†and so on.

Seems that when crunch time comes, they seem less effecient in blocking, running, passing, catching, pass rushing, punting, kicking and tackling.

You hear it from the players every week that their coaches prepare them well for the games, but for the most part, when they need to perform at their peak, they cannot maintain that level constantly.

Zack Thomas said it the other day, “We are not that good.†I guess that pretty much sums it. I say, Zack the talent in the team is there, but the guys are not skilled enough to execute on every down.

IMO, it is better to have the best skilled players on the field than the most talented.

Well that’s my 2 pennies worth, hopefully they worked on their skills this week and we’ll take another form the J.E.T.S.

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

skills come from coaching...

miami has both skills and talent. there is no doubt about that.. their problem is they have no will.. and their coach has no clue.

Players in Miami lack heart and toughness something very few Dolphins players have.New England patriots players talent wise are not as talented as Miami but they have few intangibles.

There are no big egos
They have heart
Toughness
Leadership

Only two players that come to my mind with those intangibles are:

Zach and Fiedler

Those two guy lay it all in the line...I question every one else character in the starting line up.Even Ricky admited to not running "Hard".

I forgot to add Big chester to that list who is leader off the field and on..

Last edited by a moderator:
You hit the nail on the head minus. As a DB, the hardest guys to play against aren't necessarily the most talented or skilled, but they are the ones who want it. The guys who want it more than anyone else are the guys who are going to come out with a win......

Back
Top Bottom