Is the Darnold trade good for Miami or bad? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is the Darnold trade good for Miami or bad?

jimthefin

Club Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if Carolina taking a flier on Sam Darnold takes them out of the QB business at #8 and what that means to Miami.

Does having two years of Darnold make them more or less likely to go QB early in R 1?

I have to assume that since they gave NYJ 3 picks for him they will be less likely to trade up from #8 but they might still pull the trigger on a QB if he fell to them at #8.

I think this hurts Miami since it gives them fewer trade down options from #6 should Pitts and Chase be off the board when they pick.

Denver might still be convinced to move up from #9 to get ahead of Carolina but would the Fins be willing to go to #9 and risk missing Smith and Waddle as well?

We really need Atlanta to go QB(or trade with a team who takes QB like Denver)or for Cincy to be smart and take Sewell, leaving Pitts or Chase for Miami.

It i starting to look like they will sit at #6 and take Smith or Waddle, or maybe Sewell if Pitts and Chase are both off the board.I had been hoping they could add another pick or two if that situation was presented to them.

Getting Smith or Waddle at #6 would not be a disaster(it might turn out to be the best thing down the road)but I had my hopes sets on Pitts or Chase.

I wonder if they should have stayed at #12 after the SF trade and waited for the Draft to see if a move up made sense for them.

But if after al the talk about what they should do at #3 they end up with Devonta Smith and a future 1 and 3 that would be pretty damn good business.

I'm not sure that it matters much... as much as I, personally, would have wanted to trade down from #6, I don't think they've ever intended to do this... When they moved back up, I thought it was pretty clear that they intended on selecting a receiver with that pick.

The fact that Carolina folded and decided to take a flyer on Darnold was probably a good option for them, although I think they gave up too much.

Once Atlanta decides whether to move their pick, or just remain in place and take a QB, the top of the draft will almost write itself... a whole lot of draftnics are going to get the first 6 or 7 picks exactly correct.

Just means that 4 QB's would be off the board before the 5-6th pick in Carolinas mind.

I'm not sure that it matters much... as much as I, personally, would have wanted to trade down from #6, I don't think they've ever intended to do this... When they moved back up, I thought it was pretty clear that they intended on selecting a receiver with that pick.

The fact that Carolina folded and decided to take a flyer on Darnold was probably a good option for them, although I think they gave up too much.

Once Atlanta decides whether to move their pick, or just remain in place and take a QB, the top of the draft will almost write itself... a whole lot of draftnics are going to get the first 6 or 7 picks exactly correct.
I don't think Atlanta will take a QB so we need to hope they trade with Denver or whoever so QB goes off the boad at #4. If Atlanta takes Pitts then we have to sweat out Cincy flirting with Chase.

Atlanta is pretty much married to Matt Ryan for two more years now so taking a young QB and stashing him on the bench for two years does not male a lot of sense. Now maybe this is their best chance to be drafting this high and they have no choice but to do it anyway but it sounds like they are going to try to get what they can out of a Matt Ryan led offense and then figure it out when he is gone.

Not what I would have done but I never was a Ryan fan to begin with.

I don't think Atlanta will take a QB so we need to hope they trade with Denver or whoever so QB goes off the boad at #4. If Atlanta takes Pitts then we have to sweat out Cincy flirting with Chase.

Atlanta is pretty much married to Matt Ryan for two more years now so taking a young QB and stashing him on the bench for two years does not male a lot of sense. Now maybe this is their best chance to be drafting this high and they have no choice but to do it anyway but it sounds like they are going to try to get what they can out of a Matt Ryan led offense and then figure it out when he is gone.

Most of the articles that I have read have not even mentioned Pitts to them. They have all said QB or trade down... which is what I have assumed.

I guess we'll see, but taking a weapon for a fading QB would be really dumb.

I think it does not really matter. My guess is the Dolphins are picking at #6, and won't
be looking to slide back.
But what the Dolphins are planning is a mystery, which I love.

the QB class of 2022 doesn't look so strong on paper, so if a QB you like is there at #4, you'd gave to think hard about him as the Falcons IMO

Well now Atlanta is saying they are open to trading the #4 pick which means they are open to trading the #4 pick, or they are not open to trading the #4 pick.

If they trade the pick to a QB hunting team that would be great for the Fins.

Most of the articles that I have read have not even mentioned Pitts to them. They have all said QB or trade down... which is what I have assumed.

I guess we'll see, but taking a weapon for a fading QB would be really dumb.
I agree.

They should go QB, Sewell or trade.

I was very surprised that the Jets got the return they did.

Maybe I'm putting too much into Miami getting only a 4th for Tannehill?

Anyway, I also don't think the trade affects the Dolphins much. Atlanta is the wildcard and I think Carolina knew the Falcons wouldn't deal down with them.

The Jets FO reset their Clock - they wanted three years security rather than roll with Sam - now it appears Wilson is their man drafting a QB who has faced next to no competition and lost to what ... Coastal Carolina - this is glorious news the AFCE will continue to make the GG the doormat

The Jets now have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 3 drafts.

They've been a laughingstock of the league nearly as long as we have but their future looks good if they hit on a QB.

The Jets now have 7 picks in the first 2 rounds over the next 3 drafts.

They've been a laughingstock of the league nearly as long as we have but their future looks good if they hit on a QB.
The Dolphins have 8 picks in the first two rounds over the next three drafts. 5 in the first round over the next three drafts.

Resets the rebuild on the jets but darnold was never going to be the guy imo...zach wilson has a shot if they surround him with talent

Back
Top Bottom