Is there drug-testing in NCAA football? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is there drug-testing in NCAA football?

MiamiHitman13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I recently saw a picture of Clay Matthews on this board somewhere and he just looks huge. I mean, he looks UNNATURALLY muscular. Combine this with the reports that he quickly put on a lot of muscle weight a year or two ago and he came out of nowhere and became a solid player. This just seems to have steroids written all over it.

I also saw a picture of Michael Johnson somewhere on this board and his arms looked gigantic; maybe too big to be natural.

How tough is the steroids testing in college football?

The reason I ask is because of this - What if Miami (or any team) drafts one of these steroid users who performs well in college because they are on steroids, but then they get to the NFL and can't use steroids because of tougher drug-testing and they can't perform at the same level and then become a draft bust and a wasted investment.

Is this a legitimate concern?

Clay Matthews did not put on a lot of muscle quickly. He went to USC as a 165-lb walk-on and five years later he is a 245 pound guided missle of a player.

As far as how tough the drug-testing program is in NCAA football, I cannot begin to know. However, if you want, you can read up on it.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=282

PS: If Matthews and Johnson were on some kind of steroids, it more than likely would have come to light after the Combine last month.

Cush is the one with steroid talks, not Clay.
and no this is not a legit concern, these guys are tested

yes there is, a close friend of mine played for penn state (although he never was a starter :( ) and he basically said they peed 3 times a year for drug testing. Now, i don't remember if of those 3, 2 tests were made by penn state's staff and the ncaa tested only once, or the opposite, or simply that the 3 tests were league-driven or strictly directed by the college...

all i know, is penn state players had 3 tests a year (from 2005 to 2008)

Clay Matthews did not put on a lot of muscle quickly. He went to USC as a 165-lb walk-on and five years later he is a 245 pound guided missle of a player.

As far as how tough the drug-testing program is in NCAA football, I cannot begin to know. However, if you want, you can read up on it.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=282

PS: If Matthews and Johnson were on some kind of steroids, it more than likely would have come to light after the Combine last month.

Not true. Most oral steroids can be purged from your system within a few weeks. So anyone on them can easily cycle off them before the combine, since the entire world knows when it takes place. Injectable steroids are different. Many can stay in your body for months.

As for Matthews, i'm a little torn. 80 pounds is a LOT of weight to put on in 5 years. He was only 165 when he got there and put half of his arrival weight on to his frame in 5 years? That does raise questions, at least for a normal human being because the human body just isn't built to put that kind of muscle mass on that quickly. The average human usually plateus at some point and has trouble continuing to add mass at such a rate. Then again, Matthews has slightly different genetics than most of us, so maybe he was just a late bloomer with highly favorable genetics. I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom