Is this the year the Fins trade down... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is this the year the Fins trade down...

Teams just use that stupid draft pick value chart as a guidline they dont go by it exactly.

You think the #1 pick is worth the same every year? Its not, so in that sense alone the value chart is flawed.

If Quinn is siting there at #9 it makes that pick far more valuable than that stupid value chart shows. Its just used as a basic guidline.

You're absolutely correct, although I don't think in the original scenario that the Rams would give up that much to move up for a defensive lineman, but you never know.

You're absolutely correct, although I don't think in the original scenario that the Rams would give up that much to move up for a defensive lineman, but you never know.

I dont think they would either really, but people just take that chart like its golden.

I dont think coaches sit there and say 'Well it looks good....but you have 1800 and we only have 1640' or something.

At some point the players available determine how valuable the pick is.

OK this is my fantasy.

#9 traded to Carolina. They want Dwayne Jarrett and not Ginn. They think SF @ #11 will take Jarrett and gives us their #2 pick.

SF takes someone else.

#14 from Carolina traded to Tenn., they want Ginn to go with Vince. We get their 1st and 2nd.

#18 from Tenn. traded to lo and behold N.E., they want speed and picks Robert Meachem. We get #22 and a 2nd.

#22 from N.E. traded to Phil. for their 1st and 2nd. they wanted Jeff Samardzija but he went baseball. They pick Dwayne Bowe

#27 from Phil. Sidney Rice - WR after next yr Booker/Chambers leave because of cap.

2nd
#41 Ryan Kalil - C Need a vocal leader at pos.

#46 Eric Weddle - S from Caro., Jason Allen with 4.39 switches to CB

#51 Brandon Silar - LB from Tenn.

#59 Anthoney Spencer - DE from Phil. I have faith in Domi and Manny Wright, Fred
Evans and Vickerson.

#60 Ben Grubbs - G from N.E. adding bodies to get a quality line.

3rd Kevin Kolb - QB This yr’s draft one every year. Daunte?

4th Nate Ilaoa - FB A playmaker at FB spot, good rcvr. Rotates with RW @ FB.

6th Samson Satele – G/C More bodies

7th Yamon Figurs - WR Fast return/we keep 6? unseat M.Vick or go for K.

Our pick's again

1 Sidney Rice WR
2 Ryan Kalil C
2 Eric Weddle S
2 Brandon Silar LB
2 Anthoney Spencer DE
2 Ben Grubbs G
3 Kevin Kolb QB
4 Nate Ilaoa FB
5 (traded for Joey)
6 Samson Satele G/C
7 Yamon Figurs WR or K tba

40 yard dash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_yard_dash
excerpt:
Many players have gone on to have stellar NFL careers after running a disappointing 40 time, for example:
  • Jerry Rice reportedly ran a 4.6 or 4.7 second 40-yard dash (regarded as mediocre figures for a wide receiver), and, consequently, was drafted only 16th overall in the 1985 NFL Draft, despite a stellar college career. He went out to play 13 Pro Bowls, win 3 Super Bowls, and break numerous NFL records (at the time of his retirement he had 28 NFL records). Said former teammate Ronnie Lott, "Jerry may been a 4.6 or a 4.7, but he was a 4.2 on Sundays." Rice was also generally noted for being able to run as fast a 40-yard dash under the weight of heavy NFL padding as he was in track gear.
  • Emmitt Smith ran the 40 in 4.71 seconds, considered relatively slow for a running back. Despite his record-breaking college career, he was selected 17th in the 1990 NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. Another running back, Blair Thomas, was selected much earlier with the second pick, in part because of his 4.4 second 40 yard dash. Smith went on to set the all-time rushing mark and win three Super Bowls, while Thomas had a disappointing career.
Comment by 1Hawdolfin4L - Do not get hooked on speed, while speed is good it is often overated.

Teams just use that stupid draft pick value chart as a guidline they dont go by it exactly..

Guidelines are guidelines and people won’t stray away from them too far. Like the example that started the thread was a 1350 to 1805 heavily slanted trade. Let’s just say you are one of the GMs involved. You are the one receiving the 1350 value (9th pick); you seriously need a QB; I’ll give you Brady Quinn at that pick for your 1st (#13), your 2nd, and 4th round pick. Would you do it?

If you say no; then why not?

You think the #1 pick is worth the same every year? Its not, so in that sense alone the value chart is flawed..

Ok, if that is the case, then why is it so hard to make trades including first round picks? (If you answer this question, you will prove my point.)

1rst round picks ALWAYS have a lot of value, obviously more value than any other pick in the draft. Teams are constantly on the phone because they are trying to move up or down in the draft, but it seldom ever happens with first round picks because of the amount of value involved. Most teams can't afford to give up what it takes to get that pick.

If Quinn is siting there at #9 it makes that pick far more valuable than that stupid value chart shows. Its just used as a basic guidline.

That's Economics 101 (Supply and Demand). It would only be valuable to teams who are desperate for a QB and the supply of quality QBs are thin. That goes for any position of need for any team. Now if a team wants to trade up to get him; it's going to "cost" them a lot, depending on their initial draft position and if other teams are interested. The team that is trading out of that position will want to be compensated handsomely first; and fairly second and I guarantee you that fairly means staying as close as possible to the draft pick value chart.

We can all agree on the obvious that the draft pick value chart is a guideline. But to perceive it as stupid, I wouldn’t go that far. Guidelines give people an idea of parameters or boundaries. They can be crossed based on scenarios, but you won’t go too far over them. The last person that did that was Mike Ditka, and we all know how that worked out for him.

Don’t put yourself and the draft in a box. Break the mold…go for it, trade fast and furious. If it can’t be done, be the 1st.

Ridiculous Mock? Value is in the eye of the beholder. I went back only 4 yrs and the deals were all possible. In my fantasy we did all the deals. If you really want to be ridiculous look at the deal JJ made.

Yours truly Jimmy Johnson traded a 2nd for a 1st, actually going backwards, and he was the one…if I am right that developed this value system. The player – Patrick Surtain.

The Deals

In 2003
Arizona traded a #6 to N.O. for 2 #1’s, #17 & #18 a 2nd #54 and a 4th #102.
1 for 1, 1, 2, 4

NE traded #19 to Balt for a future #1 (#21) and #41 in the 2nd.
1 for 1, 2 essentially moving up only 2 notches

In 2004
Det. traded #6 to Cleve for #7 and a 2nd #37. Moving up just 1 notch.

Dal. #22 to Buff for a future #1 (#20) a 2nd #43 and a 5th #144
1 for 1, 2, 5 moving DOWN 2 notches

SF #16 to Phil. for #28 and a 2nd #58.

In 2005
Houston to N.O. #13 for #16 and future 3rd.

In 2006
St. Louis #11 for Den. #15 & 3rd #68

NYJ #35 to Wash. for future #2, 2nd #53 and a 6th
2nd for 2, 2, 6

i dont think that anbody is going to want to trade up with us ,they never do. the opertunity to get dewayne jarrett just says yes to me but if we cant get jarret then this is who i hope we get.

rd1 lb patrick willis or dt okoye
rd2 qb troy smith or kolb
rd 3 olineman a left tackle or lg
rd 4 a wr
rd 6 a te
rd 7 a cb

or i would go with.
rd 1 brady quinn
rd 2 dt ryan mcbean
rd 3 a wide receiver just get a good one.
rd 4 a linebacker like victor de grate.
rd 6 a cornerback
rd 7 a olineman

we can and should get a olineman in f/a and a cb in f/a and a te in f/a
and the reason i want victor de grate and ryan mcbean is they are veryu good players and they have zach thomas's work ethics and thats why i want thes two players

Back
Top Bottom