Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens

I would love to see the throws you are referring to. Tua exhibited a mediocre arm last year and it started looking downright fatigued down the stretch. I suspect this can be linked to the hip and not being able to drive the ball with as much strength as possible. Even taking that into consideration, what throws were so amazing that most QB’s can’t make?

Someone mentioned earlier that Tua’s worst sin is that Herbert outplayed him. I disagree. His worst sin was not being able to sway anyone’s original opinion of him. If you loved him before the draft, you believe this year he will show why you did. If you thought he would bust before the draft, you still do because he couldn’t prove otherwise. Finally, if you wanted to believe but had concerns about him before the draft, you still do. Tua did nothing on the field to change anyone’s mind one way or the other. He was the very definition of opportunity failing to be successfully and convincingly seized.

Is Tua a franchise QB? I don’t know. Hopefully he shows us all definitely one way or the other by the end of this season.
Again, I was comparing Tua to the cast of characters in Miami since Marino. It's not really that high of a bar. A couple examples of what I was talking about:

I would love to see the throws you are referring to. Tua exhibited a mediocre arm last year and it started looking downright fatigued down the stretch. I suspect this can be linked to the hip and not being able to drive the ball with as much strength as possible. Even taking that into consideration, what throws were so amazing that most QB’s can’t make?

Someone mentioned earlier that Tua’s worst sin is that Herbert outplayed him. I disagree. His worst sin was not being able to sway anyone’s original opinion of him. If you loved him before the draft, you believe this year he will show why you did. If you thought he would bust before the draft, you still do because he couldn’t prove otherwise. Finally, if you wanted to believe but had concerns about him before the draft, you still do. Tua did nothing on the field to change anyone’s mind one way or the other. He was the very definition of opportunity failing to be successfully and convincingly seized.

Is Tua a franchise QB? I don’t know. Hopefully he shows us all definitely one way or the other by the end of this season.
Nice post brother....

Some of you are out of your minds. There are some throws this kid has made as a Rookie that no QB(In our franchise..Tannehill, Culpepper, Gus, etc) not named D Marino has ever made!

I get your point but I would say that's a bit of an overstatement. Tannehill made some throws that were other otherworldly. (ie...65yd TD bomb on a dime to stills while being clotheslined)
I'm hopeful Tua takes that next step but I didn't see him do a great deal of anything that had me jumping out of my seat. He flashed. His potential is awesome so I hope he becomes our QB for the next decade.

I get your point but I would say that's a bit of an overstatement. Tannehill made some throws that were other otherworldly. (ie...65yd TD bomb on a dime to stills while being clotheslined)
I'm hopeful Tua takes that next step but I didn't see him do a great deal of anything that had me jumping out of my seat. He flashed. His potential is awesome so I hope he becomes our QB for the next decade.

The first think you highlight is his "Bombs." I'm highlighting the other 80% of throws that a QB musst be able to make consistently and with accuracy and at a high level.

I have not problem with Tannehill but lets be honest when it came to the short, intermediate, out stuff he was limited. He's certainly improved. But he alwasy struggled with throws around crowds.

Did you not see what happened to KC when most of their lineman were down in the Super Bowl and what Josh Allen was before he had a line? You’re making up an excuse to criticize Tua.
U song stupid..your last sentence..like I say it up too Tua.either he go swim or he go sank in nfl..nobody again Tua..I have nt seen enough of Tua to give real evaluate off him but I will have one this yr..the Dolphins took chance on Tua..if it work Grier is hero,if it dont it was bad investment.. he set franchise back 3 year..

I'll be shocked if Tua isnt top 10 in most important QB stats categories next season... No idea if this kid will ever be an elite QB, but give him top 10 weapons and he'll give you top 10 production, that's his floor.

I was a proponent of Tua not playing last year for several reasons...hip injury, no rookie mini camp, mini camp, or preseason games, 4 new starters on OL including several rookies. Riding the bench for a year did not derail the career of Tom Brady, Patrick Mahomes, or Aaron Rodgers (3 seasons) and those are three top 10 all-time QBs in view. Lastly, Fitz was leading Miami to the second most ppg offensively (26) in franchise history, only the1984 team averaged more offensively so I thought Fitz had earned the right to continue to start while he was simultaneously being an exceptional mentor to Tua.

But they didn't ask me :nah: and it is what it is.

What gives me optimism Tua will take a giant leap this year besides the normal maturation process from rookie to 2nd year in the NFL is how hard of a worker Tua is and how much work he was able to put in this off season. He is doing everything the right way, giving him the best chance to improve and succeed. The constant feedback from those that have worked or been around Tua are two consistent themes, leadership and hard work. Those are two of the necessary requirements for all elite QBs along with accuracy and Tua has that.

This is the another reason for optimism that Tua will make big strides this year which I have not seen discussed much. Tua will be compared with both Burrow and Herbert, particularly Herbert since Miami had that option. Both Burrow and Herbert had significantly more experience in college than Tua.

Burrow...5th year senior, 28 starts, 945 pass attempts.

Herbert...true senior, 42 starts, 1293 pass attempts.

Tua...true junior, 24 starts, 684 pass attempts.

Being real, many of Tua's pass attempts were to WRs that were wide open, referred to as Alabama open. The talent and depth at WR during Tua's time at Alabama was better than perhaps any QB during their college career. Obviously could add Jalen Hurts into that conversation.

Point being, many of Tua's attempts in college were not throws under stress like there consistently is in the NFL. As Tua continues to get reps, reads defenses, trust his receivers, throws into tight windows, his confidence and game will grow. Obviously, adding Waddle and Fuller should help along with the maturity of the OL and hopefully upgrade at RT with Eichenberg.

What I really like about Tua is he is humble, clear on his values and principles, understands and focuses on what he has power over, and has a growth mindset which leads him to work diligently to improve.

the-rock-clapping.gif

Outstanding /well thought out/ detailed post man!

You could blame Tua to. He hold ball too long on some plays as well.team know Tua can't scrambled as well..so add that into equation..if we go talk football less be real on here...
If you're going to be real, don't change the subject....

Needing a decent OL isn't an excuse.

Tua is gonna be a monster this year

Again, I was comparing Tua to the cast of characters in Miami since Marino. It's not really that high of a bar. A couple examples of what I was talking about:

God I hope we get rid of the end zone fades this year. I'll never forget the cincy game where I think we called 5 to 7 of those jump balls. Such a lazy play call.

God I hope we get rid of the end zone fades this year. I'll never forget the cincy game where I think we called 5 to 7 of those jump balls. Such a lazy play call.
Maybe not so many attempts but I don’t want them to completely go away. We currently have a QB that can throw them well and a WR that’s good at catching them

Not to mention it in no way showcases Tua. Those videos were more parkers catching ability that Tua's throw.

Back
Top Bottom