Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens

I don't think that Tua was that bad last year... he was a bit indecisive on the longer plays and he missed more than a few reads, but all rookies are like that. I do believe that when he gets a better handle on what constitutes 'NFL open', and where to throw that sort of ball... and to throw it quicker... that he may end up being very good.

The target is still Drew Brees.

I don't think that Tua was that bad last year... he was a bit indecisive on the longer plays and he missed more than a few reads, but all rookies are like that. I do believe that when he gets a better handle on what constitutes 'NFL open', and where to throw that sort of ball... and to throw it quicker... that he may end up being very good.

The target is still Drew Brees.
No he wasn't bad for a rookie.
But i failed to 'it' in him either. The 'it' you saw when Marino replaced Woodley. I am not saying he will not be elite. Some players need couple years to blossom. It just that he has not given me evident to say, he got 'it'. And beacuse I say what I saw, I am labelled as anti Tua here.

But i failed to 'it' in him either. The 'it' you saw when Marino replaced Woodley. I am not saying he will not be elite. Some players need couple years to blossom. It just that he has not given me evident to say, he got 'it'. And beacuse I say what I saw, I am labelled as anti Tua here.
None of us saw "it" when we watched Tua last year. There's no doubt Tua struggled, but I really do believe the hip injury should give him a year before we can truly evaluate him.

I am not entirely convinced he should have been playing. Hip dislocations are very serious. My brother, who is an athlete, had the same injury around the same time. But his leg was not reduced quite as quickly (Tua's was immediate).

Bc of this he has to wait 2 years to find out if he will develop avascular necrosis of his femur and need a hip replacement. Took him weeks to relearn how to walk. This is the level of injury Tua was coming back from.

You can call it an excuse, but I stand by my opinion that you can't properly evaluate a football player that had that injury 9 months before his next season starts.

I don't believe I fall into the Tua fanboy or hater club. I'm agnostic as of now. That video contained nothing but constructive (and correct) criticisms of Tua's play last year. That type of analysis not only doesn't bother me, but I appreciate it.

If somone has any new data or analysis on Tua that can be construed as negative, I'm more than glad to hear it.

But the constant harping from some posters that he just sucks gets old. "He wasn't good last year and Herbert was." We get it. But he's our QB for better or worse.

You're well within you're right to have a critical or negative opinion of Tua (or any opinion. I'm not the boss here). But if you're just posting the same old anti-Tua retreads we've heard a million times, don't be surprised if other posters are just tired of it.

(Not saying that's what ur personally doing. I don't follow every post u make)

Last edited:

Im sure you “it” Brees his first 3 years or so
he wasn’t close to N.O, Brees.

Good thing his “it” doesn’t require you to see it.

I see “it” just like i saw Gesicki’s “it” while a great deal were still trying to find their glasses.

None of us saw "it" when we watched Tua last year. There's no doubt Tua struggled, but I really do believe the hip injury should give him a year before we can truly evaluate him.

I am not entirely convinced he should have been playing. Hip dislocations are very serious. My brother, who is an athlete, had the same injury around the same time. But his leg was not reduced quite as quickly (Tua's was immediate).

Bc of this he has to wait 2 years to find out if he will develop avascular necrosis of his femur and need a hip replacement. Took him weeks to relearn how to walk. This is the level of injury Tua was coming back from.

You can call it an excuse, but I stand by my opinion that you can't properly evaluate a football player that had that injury 9 months before his next season starts.

I don't believe I fall into the Tua fan or hater club. I'm agnostic as of now. That video contained nothing but constructive (and correct) criticisms of Tua's play last year. That type of analysis not only doesn't bother me, but I appreciate it.

If somone has any new data or analysis on Tua that can be construed as negative, I'm more than glad to hear it.

But the constant harping from some posters that he just sucks gets old. He wasn't good last year and Herbert was. We get it. But he's our QB for better or worse.

You're well within you're right to have a critical or negative opinion of Tua (or any opinion. I'm not the boss here). But if you're just posting the same old anti-Tua retreads we've heard a million times, don't be surprised if other posters are just tired of it.

(Not saying that's what ur personally doing. I don't follow every post u make)

None of us? Speak for yourself.

None of us? Speak for yourself.
I def saw potential. There was good and bad like most rookies. Guess I shouldn't have said none of us. But I find it hard to believe last year definitively convinced anyone that Tua is clearly a future top franchise QB.

Also "it" doesn't exactly have a dictionary definition, so we might not be on the same page there.

Either way, I'm praying ur right and those glasses are giving u 20/20.

Last edited:
I def saw potential. There was good and bad like most rookies. Guess I shouldn't have said none of us. But I find it hard to believe last year definitively convinced anyone that Tua is clearly a future top franchise QB.

Also "it" doesn't exactly have a dictionary definition, so we might not be on the same page there.

Either way, I'm praying ur right and those glasses are giving u 20/20.

Vision! Some have it instantly with little sampling required and some needs it to be beyond obvious that even Stevie Wonder could see it before they can see it.

I saw tons of uniqueness in his style, manipulation of defenses, movement in the pocket, touch on the ball etc that makes it “easy” to envision what that would look like with better weapons, better grasp of the nfl and out team.

The mistakes, IMO, are more about being a rookie, lack of offseason, our injuries. and all the other craziness of last season as opposed to Tua maybe not being that guy.

Theres not one Qb, perhaps outside of Watson, that could have thrived under those circumstances. Yes I’m referring to Brady, Manning, Brees etc during their rookie campaigns.

U think Tua still at bama.this is nfl.u ain't going have all day to pass ball..got learn how move in pocket and get ball out..
Dafuq you talkin’ about? There were multiple games, IN THE NFL, not just this one that showed his pocket presence and quick release.

He has all the physical tools, and yeah, he made some impressive throws.

He wasn't the main thing that held the franchise back.

It was time to move on though, for both parties.
Agreed. I was one of his supporters for so long but that last season was brutal. His shoulder wasn’t looking right at all

sucks we couldn’t have surrounded him (and the team in general) with talent to succeed

Philbin and Gase set hi (and us) back so much

That's fine. The kid had some excellent plays.

Reread what you wrote though. You are litterally saying second only to Marino.

Total hyperbole........
trying to think of all the QBs since 2000, (PTSD might be blocking a few), Tua made throws that most of those bums can only dream of

Agreed. I was one of his supporters for so long but that last season was brutal. His shoulder wasn’t looking right at all

sucks we couldn’t have surrounded him (and the team in general) with talent to succeed

Philbin and Gase set hi (and us) back so much
The worst part is how much Gase/Philbin killed his trade value. We got a 4th and a 7th for him.

A 33 year old Matt Stafford netted two 1st's and a 3rd.

Hell, Darnold got the Jets a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

QBs go for a premium. We all talk about how we killed it with the Tunsil deal (which we did). But so much was left on the table with Tannehill. Not that it was this specific regime's fault.

We'd never be in the situation we are right now if a functional team had ever been built around Tannehill to help him out anyway. But in reality he was much more valuable than Tunsil.

If we had gotten proper compensation there, we might have two more 1st rounders and then some in the bank. And we wouldn't even need a moron like BOB to make that happen. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom