Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Tua a Franchise Quarterback (video) per Billy Stephens

I don't think that Tua was that bad last year... he was a bit indecisive on the longer plays and he missed more than a few reads, but all rookies are like that. I do believe that when he gets a better handle on what constitutes 'NFL open', and where to throw that sort of ball... and to throw it quicker... that he may end up being very good.

The target is still Drew Brees.
I agree, he didn't have a bad year for a rookie.
Tua's biggest sin was that he didn't put up same numbers as Herbert.
Part of me also believes the media is down on him simply due to the statement he made regarding NFL not being as hard as he thought it would be and he's getting sandbagged because of it.

I saw 3 poor performances from him (not counting his first game since he didn't have to do a lot) and that's not that terrible.

trying to think of all the QBs since 2000, (PTSD might be blocking a few), Tua made throws that most of those bums can only dream of.
First of all, the original statement was not dolphin specific.

Second of all, RT and even Henne had good "arm talent".

While that certainly doesn't mean they were better QBs, but in a vacuum, they could certainly "make throws".

Please don't start with the "accuracy" diatribe. That is not what the poster said.

First of all, the original statement was not dolphin specific.

Second of all, RT and even Henne had good "arm talent".

While that certainly doesn't mean they were better QBs, but in a vacuum, they could certainly "make throws".

Please don't start with the "accuracy" diatribe. That is not what the poster said.
I took it as Dolphins specific, of course other QBs can make similar throws.
Both Henne and Tannehill struggled with touch throws that Tua routinely made last year. Forget about endzone fades with those two, they just didn't have that tool in the box.
Tua doing what they couldn't may be arguable but not even close to hyperbole

Didn't watch the video (yet). There are only a few franchise quarterbacks in the league at any given point in time. I think the definition, just like the league, has morphed or evolved. In today's league, a franchise quarterback is somebody the franchise wouldn't be the same without. Tom Brady's portrait is found in the dictionary with the definition of a franchise quarterback. The Patriots with Tom Brady equal superbowl. The Patriots without Tom Brady equal a team in rebuild. Tom Brady + his new team equaled superbowl. Brady, of course, needs an adequate team for that to happen, but when he was in his prime he may have been that kind of difference. Brady isn't the debate, though.

The question is whether Tua will ever be that kind of QB. Right now, I can't help but feel that is very doubtful. He may be a very good QB. Ryan Tannehill was pretty darn good (IMO) and Tua will likely be somewhere in the neighborhood, I think.

I don't know how franchise quarterbacks are made. Sometimes they can enter the NFL ready to go, and other times they come into the NFL and get the right coach and personnel to help them ascend. Maybe that's Tua. This year is a very important one for him to establish what his trajectory is.

And the Waddle-DeVonta video it links to is pretty cool, too. Thanks for sharing.

Imho, injury or non injury, Tuas nine games isnt enough to judge. No rookie qb can be judged in the 1st year. You cant expect a pro bowl QB in such little amount of time. In addition, guys like herbert with great stats on his first year, still can regress the next yr. Its just the luck of the draw. Just look at it this way, herbert has much more expectation because of his stats where Tua's improvement (spite of his mediocre season) will be more noticeable. I hope im making sense lol

trying to think of all the QBs since 2000, (PTSD might be blocking a few), Tua made throws that most of those bums can only dream of
I would love to see the throws you are referring to. Tua exhibited a mediocre arm last year and it started looking downright fatigued down the stretch. I suspect this can be linked to the hip and not being able to drive the ball with as much strength as possible. Even taking that into consideration, what throws were so amazing that most QB’s can’t make?

Someone mentioned earlier that Tua’s worst sin is that Herbert outplayed him. I disagree. His worst sin was not being able to sway anyone’s original opinion of him. If you loved him before the draft, you believe this year he will show why you did. If you thought he would bust before the draft, you still do because he couldn’t prove otherwise. Finally, if you wanted to believe but had concerns about him before the draft, you still do. Tua did nothing on the field to change anyone’s mind one way or the other. He was the very definition of opportunity failing to be successfully and convincingly seized.

Is Tua a franchise QB? I don’t know. Hopefully he shows us all definitely one way or the other by the end of this season.

No he wasn't bad for a rookie.
But i failed to 'it' in him either. The 'it' you saw when Marino replaced Woodley. I am not saying he will not be elite. Some players need couple years to blossom. It just that he has not given me evident to say, he got 'it'. And beacuse I say what I saw, I am labelled as anti Tua here.
I did in that Arizona game. Unfortunately that was also the game that Preston went down and our WR core went to **** for the rest of the year.

Was Tannehill going to come back in the 4th on the back of his arm? We watched years and years where the answer was no.

I did in that Arizona game. Unfortunately that was also the game that Preston went down and our WR core went to **** for the rest of the year.

Was Tannehill going to come back in the 4th on the back of his arm? We watched years and years where the answer was no.
The Arizona game was his best effort. Still, the Tannehill comparison is just not a good one. Tannehill never had WR or TE talent better than Tua’s, and as bad as the OL was last year, RT would have killed for that kind of protection. You could easily flip the argument and say at least Tannehill was never benched for performance issues. Seriously, the RT comparison just isn’t equivalent and will make Tua look worse than he should.

The Arizona game was his best effort. Still, the Tannehill comparison is just not a good one. Tannehill never had WR or TE talent better than Tua’s, and as bad as the OL was last year, RT would have killed for that kind of protection. You could easily flip the argument and say at least Tannehill was never benched for performance issues. Seriously, the RT comparison just isn’t equivalent and will make Tua look worse than he should.
And I'd gladly argue Jarvis Landry is a better receiver than anyone on the team last year and quite easily.

As for protection, the Dolphins were bottom 5 in pass blocking win rate last year. You know why Fitz and Tua weren't sacked as much as Tannehill? Because they don't suck as much as Tannehill with pocket presence.

Back
Top Bottom