Is Winning More Games Worth It, If We Miss The Playoffs ? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Winning More Games Worth It, If We Miss The Playoffs ?

Wins and no playoffs vs less wins higher draft pick.

• More wins and miss the playoffs

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Less wins, Higher draft pick.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • I don't care as long as we beat the Patriots.

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
Name me a team that went from last to first because of one middle range draft pick.
Read my post above. It clearly states that when you are that bad one high draft pick won't make a difference. You will be bad for a bunch of years.
The best you could do is trade away that high draft pick and get multiple players. But that brings us back to our problem: we need the right people who can evaluate talent and get the right players. That is our biggest problem, not our draft position.

Only time I want to lose is when we are mathematically eliminated like bills game last yr. Gase obviously felt the same way when he rested Tunsil and played Fales

Read my post above. It clearly states that when you are that bad one high draft pick won't make a difference. You will be bad for a bunch of years.
The best you could do is trade away that high draft pick and get multiple players. But that brings us back to our problem: we need the right people who can evaluate talent and get the right players. That is our biggest problem, not our draft position.
That's your position. I just happen to disagree with it in basically all respects. We've nicely gone along and put putted our way through draft after draft...to get what, Charles Harris?

The Eagles dumped two BS contracts (Maxwell, Alonso) on us, gained the draft capital to help get a player (Wentz) that would help take them from worst (7-9) to first (13-3). The ground work was laid before he came... all he had to do was be himself. We will always be chasing a ghost if we think that Tannehill is the same type of player as Wentz...especially at the price.

That's your position. I just happen to disagree with it in basically all respects. We've nicely gone along and put putted our way through draft after draft...to get what, Charles Harris?

The Eagles dumped two BS contracts (Maxwell, Alonso) on us, gained the draft capital to help get a player (Wentz) that would help take them from worst (7-9) to first (13-3). The ground work was laid before he came... all he had to do was be himself. We will always be chasing a ghost if we think that Tannehill is the same type of player as Wentz...especially at the price.
You disagree with me but you just made my point from the post I was referring to. The Eagles went from mediocre to first because they had the right FO to make the right decisions (dump players, get draft picks and trade up to get the missing piece).
That was exactly my point. :lol:

Just keep the Pats from getting home field

Pretty certain we were the reason the 2013 & 2015 AFCCG was played in Denver. So in a way, we did cost them a SB before. I don't think they lose to Denver in Foxboro. Especially in 2015.

If we go 8-8 we will have a much worse draft position than going 6-10, is the immediate gratification of a meaningless win worth it ?

The thing is you don't know what the future holds. You don't know if it will be more wins and miss the playoffs or more wins and get to the playoffs.

All I know is you don't give up or play to lose. Only fans have the luxury to think like this. Not players, not coaches or the front office.

You disagree with me but you just made my point from the post I was referring to. The Eagles went from mediocre to first because they had the right FO to make the right decisions (dump players, get draft picks and trade up to get the missing piece).
That was exactly my point. :lol:
No...I refuted your point. More accurately, you refuted your point when you placed a strawman into the discussion. you had three choices, of which you were to select one. Your selections don't include people in the front office making the right decisions. I submit that even if they did, Ryan Tannehill is not the man to lead us to anything but a 1st round round card loss AT BEST. His time should be SHORT here...and Gase's should be even shorter soon-there-after.

LOL you just made phins4ever's point for him. Nice.

No...I refuted your point. More accurately, you refuted your point when you placed a strawman into the discussion. you had three choices, of which you were to select one. Your selections don't include people in the front office making the right decisions. I submit that even if they did, Ryan Tannehill is not the man to lead us to anything but a 1st round round card loss AT BEST. His time should be SHORT here...and Gase's should be even shorter soon-there-after.
WTF are you talking about? :lol:
You have not read my post at all. :good:
I have not selected any of the choices because none apply to me. My post was a result of a discussion I had with jerrysanders.

"We're gonna fight
Till we can't fight no mo
And when we can't fight no mo
We're gonna lay down
Bleed a while
Get back up
And fight so mo."

Yeah and please beat the Pats.

It is not. Based on your posting it seems you lack the understanding how to build a successful franchise. This stupid argument we have to suck to get better I have heard in the 90s and early 2000's on this very same site. Making the playoffs was not good enough. We have to suck and have high draft picks. Now almost 20 years later and two really sucky seasons we are no closer to a deep playoff run then we were 20 years ago. The opposite.

The only time one single high draft player would make an impact would be if you have all the other pieces in place. But then you are probably already mediocre or a playoff bound team and you trade up to get that player (i.e. KC).
Most teams who make it to the Superbowl have lived a mediocre life or went to the playoffs and were either out immediately or were one and done or barely missed the playoffs. But they finished the building of the team over a couple years by picking the right players.

To build a winner you need a front office who establishes a philosophy/system for the team and then picks the right players. You have to have the right scouting team and FO to make the right decisions. Winners are build through the draft and FA.
You can turn a mediocre team into a winner in one season if you have the right people in place who make the right decisions. Our problems are not the players. It is not their fault that we picked them up either in the draft or via FA. It is not their fault that we put them into a scheme unfitting their talent. Our problem is the front office who is utterly incompetent in identifying the right talent to whatever scheme we want to establish (which of course includes the right coaches who can execute such scheme) or to get the right coach who gets the most out of the players.

To say we have to suck and get high draft picks to get better is a cowardish way of saying I have no idea what our problem is therefore let's get high draft picks.

How many years would you like to suck? How many high draft picks do we need? Heard of the Cleveland Browns? They are collecting high draft picks like other people collect stamps. They are nowhere close to even be mediocre.

Ever heard of the Cinncinnati Bengals and their 10 or 12 year run of misery and high draft picks throughout the 90s and early 2000s? It did not help them one bit. As a matter of fact they became an almost yearly playoff participant when they were mediocre for a few years.

How about the Detroit Lions and their almost 10 years of misery including an 0-16 season? All these high draft picks and yet....no real playoff contender much less Superbowl contender.

So tell me. How many years would you like to call wins meaningless and how many years should we have high draft picks?
5, 10, 20 years?
If you are that bad that you have a top 5 pick you have more problems than just one or two player. It will take you 3 or 4 years to get back to mediocrity. And then you have to take the next step which might take you another couple years. But by then your top 5 picks may not be with you anymore. Oops. Let's start over again.

The problem starts with the FO: player personal, GM, coaches.
And that is our biggest problem right now.

If you take our day 1 offense and exchange them with the KC offense they may not be as high scoring as the KC offense but Reid and Co would make our offense easily an offense scoring in the mid to high 20s. On the other hand Gase and Co would make the Mahomes and Co offense an offense which barely cracks the 20s.
THAT is your first problem: coaching. The coaching staff is of much higher priority then a top draft pick.
Pretty much the same can be said on defense.

Our solution is not draft position. Our solution is the right people above the players: coaches, GM, VP of Personal (or whatever Tannenbaum calls himself).

We've been mediocre for over a decade 8-8,7-9 type of seasons and it has gotten us nowhere, Talent trumps all, any fan would want the best talent possible. Nobody is talking about losing early on, but when your out of the playoff run what scenario u prefer, that was the question. I need an argument on why 8-8 is better than 6-10 long term.

Way too early to pack it in. I want to see our guys progress and play well. When we get eliminated, start evaluating bench players.

We've been watching this team be middle of the road and miss out on premium picks forever. I always hope the difference maker is gonna drop while they go a few spots before us and the fins reach for mediocre. You can just about set your watch to it at this point.

It is literally impossible to win consistently when you miss on 1st round picks year in and year out. I'd like it to be as easy as possible for the goofs buying the groceries ... because they suck at it.

But do I think the players are gonna lay down? Does Gase have the kind of job security to even do that? Is Ross gonna piss off his season ticket holders like that? Nah. But I can still hope because that's how this turtle gets off it's back.

Back
Top Bottom