Is Winning More Games Worth It, If We Miss The Playoffs ? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Winning More Games Worth It, If We Miss The Playoffs ?

Wins and no playoffs vs less wins higher draft pick.

• More wins and miss the playoffs

Votes: 18 30.5%
  • Less wins, Higher draft pick.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • I don't care as long as we beat the Patriots.

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
After the Colts have dominated the NFL for years and years, the “Suck for Luck” strategy has been proven to be a good one. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop perpetuating the worst strategy ever mentioned. Loosing is a habit. Never start it for ANY reason.

Last edited:
I think Matt Ryan is one example where having that losing season paid off. Atlanta was slowly getting worse 8-8, 7-9 and finally the 4-12 season that landed Ryan. Since then 6 of 10 seasons in the playoffs, Super bowl appearance and always a tough team to beat. Prior to that 2 playoff seasons in 10 years. Not worst to best but pretty good example IMO. Ryan should have been our pick that year.

That being said, I voted wins. You can get good players anywhere in draft. The example above isn't the norm.

Anyone recall how the Rams built their team back up so quickly?

All i recall is Fisher trading draft position(s) for multiple 1st round picks.

Last edited:
The problem with this losing mentality to get higher draft picks is a lot of times you stay a loser. The browns have had high draft picks, oh idk... Forever. They are an extreme example, but there are a few teams that are consistently bad yet there are teams who always pick low in the draft and just keep on winning.

The problem with this losing mentality to get higher draft picks is a lot of times you stay a loser. The browns have had high draft picks, oh idk... Forever. They are an extreme example, but there are a few teams that are consistently bad yet there are teams who always pick low in the draft and just keep on winning.

Agreed with the Browns analogy. Although I will see watching them I see a lot of potential and talent from all those draft picks you've mentioned. They're one coaching staff away from being competitive year in and out.

They're close!

Name me a team which went from last to first because of one high draft pick.

Closest I can remember was Ben Roethlisberger.
However, the Steelers were not a bad team, they just had a down year and were fortunate that BR was available at the 11th pick.
The one year they have a losing record and fix their QB problem instantly.
Some franchises just seem to have luck on their side.
At one time the Phins had it.

I just can't root for losses. If I ever did get to that point, I wouldn't watch Dolphins games much less bother myself with posting on a Dolphins forum.

Purposefully losing is too damaging if you are trying to build a culture.

If we were more confident in our FO's ability to evaluate and develop talent, then we wouldn't care about where we are drafting.

If there is a player that you must have that is going to get drafted ahead of your spot, you sacrifice future draft capital to get him.

Because I get to not drink in sadness for 2 extra games.

8-8, 6-10, 1-15... why can't we all come to together on the fact that the draft is a spin of the roulette wheel?

Since 2000, the Pats have had 2 picks in the top ten (we've had 5):

Daniel Graham
Vince Wilfork
Benjamin Watson
Mankins
Meriweather
Hightower
And more...

All in the 20s plus.

Either you can draft or you can't.

We've sucked at drafting high.

We've sucked at drafting in mid rounds.

We've sucked at bringing in talent around good 1st rounders (wata waist of Long, Tannehill).

There is so much more that goes into this thing other than a few slots.

Yes the higher the draft pick the better the odds, duh. A good front office can find talent regardless of the slot.

And also, a good front office also needs a little luck on that turn of the wheel.

The Pats also have arguably the best QB of all time behind center who wins divisions, conferences, and Super Bowls with or without an o-line. They can take risks on drafting players that fit their system.

In a perfect world, sure. But this ain't that world and in it is the Miami Dolphins who don't seem to know their *** from their elbow.

The draft is only a crapshoot for people who don't follow college football or know what they're watching. Dion Jordan is a perfect example. I was positive they were trading up for Johnson ... Jordan wasn't anywhere on my radar. Gotta know what you're looking at. NFL teams being able to spend so much time with these kids and still miss on character stuff is pretty baffling ... not even taking into account the actual talent.

I know you aren't calling me a loser. We good. :up:

I don't agree with this 100%.
If it were true, you would have some teams hitting on all of their picks. Every team has a scout department that follow college football extremely closely. This is a group of people, not just one person. Collectively, they provide the scouting reports to the upper management who then make the decisions on who to draft. Even through all of that, the draft is still an uncertainty.

The bottom line is you need a damn good coach who communicates effectively and understands how to consistently adapt very quickly to change where it significantly improves the chance of winning the football game. This affects the usage of draft picks and free agents. It affects the schemes and hiring of assistant coaches. It affects the development of all players. High draft picks don't matter if you have a stuck in the mud head coach.

I don't agree with this 100%.
If it were true, you would have some teams hitting on all of their picks. Every team has a scout department that follow college football extremely closely. This is a group of people, not just one person. Collectively, they provide the scouting reports to the upper management who then make the decisions on who to draft. Even through all of that, the draft is still an uncertainty.

The bottom line is you need a damn good coach who communicates effectively and understands how to consistently adapt very quickly to change where it significantly improves the chance of winning the football game. This affects the usage of draft picks and free agents. It affects the schemes and hiring of assistant coaches. It affects the development of all players. High draft picks don't matter if you have a stuck in the mud head coach.

Put me in charge of the draft and watch this team get immediately better. It's not as hard as the good ol' network makes it out to be. They don't have those jobs because they're great at it. They have them because of who they know/who their daddy is. Most of them have no ****ing clue how to do the job they get paid out the nose for. There's only a deserving handful. The rest are idiots. Those idiots eventually find their way to the fins. I wonder why that is ...

Put me in charge of the draft and watch this team get immediately better. It's not as hard as the good ol' network makes it out to be. They don't have those jobs because they're great at it. They have them because of who they know/who their daddy is. Most of them have no ****ing clue how to do the job they get paid out the nose for. There's only a deserving handful. The rest are idiots. Those idiots eventually find their way to the fins. I wonder why that is ...

Well he doesn’t lack for confidence

Back
Top Bottom