Is Wright Worth The Pick? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Wright Worth The Pick?

TRUDOLFAN54

PHINZ4LIFE!!!!
Reaction score
What Up Fins Fans Are There Any Usc Fans Here I Was Wondering If Someone Could Give Me Some Input On This Guy is he Any Good.

He's not even worth the 3rd but that's where he will likely go. Lazy, unfocused player who only started 2 games. Really if he were in the draft this year I think he would have been a 4th-5th. However teams will pay a premium to get a young player in late.

At best he's worth a 4th but he will probably go in the 3rd. A team would be daft to spend a 2nd on him.

I'm a USC alum. I wish I could be more definitive on Wright but he just didn't play much behind Cody and Patterson. We have so much talent now it's not I focused on him all the time or the program is crushed to lose him.

I called my friend in the sports information office for some insight a few weeks ago and he didn't offer much other than Wright was never considered a headcase or someone the coaching staff always had to worry about. He said it was clear Wright wasn't academically gifted or inclined and always barely managed to stay eligible until this spring, when he slacked off after the DL coach left for Mississippi.

I thought Wright played a bit high and raw for a DT. His best moments came in passing situations, like late in the Cal game last year when we were desperately holding on and he pressured Aaron Rodgers. No question he has athleticism and an NFL frame. He looks more like a 3-4 DE than a pure DT in terms of his build.

If we can get him with a 4th I say do it but i'm really not willing to give up any day 1 picks anymore unless its a surefire player!

Trading a 2nd round pick for Feeley [Unproven QB, who was 3rd string in philly]
Trading a 3rd round pick for Lamar Gordon [Cant Stay healthy and hasnt ever been the leading back]

When you trade day 1 picks for players that are unproven its always a gamble...and we have had bad luck with that. I'm not really willing to give up a day one pick for a player who might not even be better than our worst DT

We got Channing Crowder this year in the 3rd and that is where Wright will probably go. Even with all the hype I don't think any NFL team is silly enough (now that Wannstedt and Spielman have 'resigned') to deal a 2nd for a backup DT who has potential but also some baggage. Who would you rather have? Crowder or Wright? I rest my case.

i've said it before and i'll say it again...we should NOT spend more than a 4th round pick on him.

I would spend 4th for sure but am hoping all the hype from everyone, including us, is just that, hype and we end up spending a 5th. The one nice thing is that the only teams that we keep reading about being interested all will very likely have a lower draft slot then us. Of course it's weighted like the NBA draft lottery but our chances a greater than all but a couple teams...that haven't been mentioned.

I also like Crosby....if he's still there in the 7th...I spend it. Even if we've already spent a pick on Wright. He'll be as good as any 7th round pick available in next years draft.

I say don't waste the pick save it for the real draft

godfater21 said:
I say don't waste the pick save it for the real draft

this is still part of the real draft. It's used for players normally not qualified for the 1st player entry draft because of age however it's been used in recent years for players that can't get there grades up and were to young a couple months ago. So personally I don't think it's wasting a pick.

However, I certainly understand you not wanting to used a pick in the suppl draft if you don't feel any of the players are worth a round 1-7 value in the following draft had that person played another season in college. Is that the point you were making?

Roscoe Crosby However would have been an excellent aquisition if we hadnt grabbed david boston. I expect roscoe to be taken with a 3rd round pick probobly by houston

Hes 6''3 210 lbs. runsa 4.47 40 and if he would of been in this draft he probobly would have been a early second round pick...a couple picks behind reggie brown

VanDolPhan said:
He's not even worth the 3rd but that's where he will likely go. Lazy, unfocused player who only started 2 games. Really if he were in the draft this year I think he would have been a 4th-5th. However teams will pay a premium to get a young player in late.

At best he's worth a 4th but he will probably go in the 3rd. A team would be daft to spend a 2nd on him.
This is an extremely uneducated view.

He only started 2 games because he played behind a couple of all-americans in Patterson and Cody.

He is neither lazy nor unfocused - he just hasn't got the grades.

VanDolPhan said:

Don't you think you should at least consider the fact that he was sitting behind two highly drafted DT's at USC who were older(Shaun Cody and Mike Patterson)? Think that might have affected his number of starts?

Just wrote a real long post but it got deleted because my dumb:goof: ss dog decided to jump on the laptop and hit ESC. :cry:

Basically, he's a really raw-cut player. He anchors well, using his size and throwing his weight correctly. I think he'll be good in the league just because he has shift lineman so cleanly.

But damnit, I don't feel like writing any more. Damn dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!@#E$R%^&*

Lets throw a 3rd in the mix.

that fact that he is fairly obviously thick as pig **** should scare a lot of people off , no more than a 4th from me

IMO i would go no higher than a 3rd round pick vor this guy b/c since he didnt play all that much noone really knows what hes capable of, sooooooooooo

i'll just leave it for Meuller and Saban, i'm suer they;ll make the right decision.

Back
Top Bottom