Is Zach Thomas Good Enough??? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Zach Thomas Good Enough???

Does Zach Have What it Takes for the HOF?

• Yes! He'll definitely make it if he maintains his current level of play.

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • No Way! He still has a long way to go before he's placed in that category.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • He has an outside chance if things fall into place.

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I thought that headline would get all of your attention. The conclusion to that question would be: Do you all think that ZT has a shot at the HOF if he continues with his present level of production for the next 5-7 years? I'm of the opinion that he's putting up the numbers, has the personality, and is an integral enough part of the team that he should be strongly considered when the time comes.

Two things will factor into this: 1) Can he get to, and then win the Super Bowl with the 'Fins and 2) Can he play at the level at which he's accustomed to playing for the next 5 to 7 years? If these two things happen then I think he has an excellent shot. If the first doesn't happen but the second does, I still believe he has a shot but he won't be a first ballot HOF'er but might make down the road. Obviously, if the second doesn't happen then the chances look slim.

Let me know what you think. :)

If Zach can stay healthy, then he will be a sure fire HOFer. However with his recent injury problems, it seems as though his body is starting to tell him something.

This is his 6th year in the NFL, and I think if he was to retire today, he should go in.

He needs to go to at least 2 or 3 more Pro Bowls IMO to get in.
How many has he been to so far?
Two, something like that?
He is a great player, no doubt, but, for the HOF, you need to put up big time stats for a LONG period of time.
In the NFL, Pro Bowl status is just about the highest a current player can get besides MVP.
If he retired today, it would have to be no way.
BTW, just because you do not make the HOF does not mean that you are not a great player.
There have been many GREAT players that dominated for a short period of time, but, had to give up playing due to injuries.
Longevity is almost as important as talent when it comes to picking for the HOF.

scotgif.............

Originally posted by scotgif
He needs to go to at least 2 or 3 more Pro Bowls IMO to get in.
How many has he been to so far?
Two, something like that?
He is a great player, no doubt, but, for the HOF, you need to put up big time stats for a LONG period of time.
In the NFL, Pro Bowl status is just about the highest a current player can get besides MVP.
If he retired today, it would have to be no way.
BTW, just because you do not make the HOF does not mean that you are not a great player.
There have been many GREAT players that dominqated for a short period of time, but, had to give up playing due to injuries.
Longevity is almost as important as talent when it comes to picking for the HOF.

Zach's been selected to 3 pro bowls.

The real question is will the Dt position still be a strength for the Dolphins during Zach career. Zach Thomasis at his best just running to the football.(will make the hall) If the Dt position falters and Zach is forced to take on blockers than you can kiss the hall of fame goodbye. He is a hall of famer when the Dt can occupy the blocxkers and let him do what he does best.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
He wouldn't go in if he retired today, but if he has 7 more good seasons, he will be in. :)

7 more good seasons? If he is still playing 4 years from now I will buy you a car. Zach won't be playing 7 years from now. If he is playing 3 years from now I will be surprised. Zach will get in. The Pro Football hall of fame isn't like the MLB HOF. The NFL hall of fame is a popularity contest. If you a nice guy with decent numbers, odds are you will get in. Will Zach get in his first chance, probably not. But eventually he will get in. If Buoncitti <sp> made it, Zach is a lock to make it!

It's sort of a John Offerdahl situation. If Zach has some longevity to his career and continues putting up these numbers, he should get in.

Offerdahl would have been a HOFer if he hadn't got hurt in 1990. He was one of the best.

If he has 3-4 more good seasons, he'll have a good chance.

Zach has been in 5 Pro Bowls(2002**, 2000 *, 1999, 1996*, 2001*)

**-injured
*-alternate/backup

Hey Ted Danson, I don't know if this was said as a put down of Nick,
"If Buoncitti <sp> made it, Zach is a lock to make it!"

but, if so, you should know that Nick Bouniconti was only the ALL TIME- AFL MIDDLE LINEBACKER

I fail to see how anyone can question the merits of NickBouniconti
concerning the Hall Of Fame.

Originally posted by Footballfanatic
The real question is will the Dt position still be a strength for the Dolphins during Zach career. Zach Thomasis at his best just running to the football.(will make the hall) If the Dt position falters and Zach is forced to take on blockers than you can kiss the hall of fame goodbye. He is a hall of famer when the Dt can occupy the blocxkers and let him do what he does best.
That is the way I am thinking,, Z T needs protection from the D-L and when he doesn't get protection he gets injured!! IMOP everytime Bowens or Gardener got hurt or lost for the season, Thomas took alot more punishment then he should have .. :( Marino1983

Nagging injuries aside, I would say yes.

Th ehall is less about actual football merit and more about where you stand both in the media and as a player (see Lynn Swann making the HOF - and he wasn't one of the 15 best WR of his era ...) vs. others at your position.

As a MLB - Z.Thomas is very near the top of the game. There can be arguments made for other players at the MLB position over the last ten years (certainly R.Lewis comes to mind - though his off field troubles will hurt him ... a la Irvin)

I cannot think of another MLB that you can make a greater case for in this "era" (about 10-15 year period in the NFL)

If the Phins can add a SB ring or two in the next few years, he will be an absolute lock, as will Madison etc ...

P.S. - I agree with TedDanson - no way Zach is playing in 7 years --

why did anybody want to question

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
Wasn`t Mike Singletary about Zach`s size? He played what.....15 yrs.?
zach in the first place, whatever zach lacks in size, he makes up for in determination!:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Capt. Dick
Wasn`t Mike Singletary about Zach`s size? He played what.....15 yrs.?

Mike also played against Lineman that were rarely over 300 ... there were probably a handful of interior OL that went 300 during Singletary's heyday, now we have OT that approaching 400 -- and they're not big tubs of goo.

I mean, I see your point, and injury is as random an occurence as can be. True chaos thoery, but I'd say Zach and Mike being the sme size is more indicative of him not being able to play 15 years, because of the rapid growth of the OL, and hence LB's in the NFL.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd LOVE to seee his health hold out, because the guy is one of my favorite players in Dolphin history.

Back
Top Bottom