Is Zack the next cut in 2006 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Is Zack the next cut in 2006

Finland

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I have found myself wondering where Zack is at these days as far as years left and, more so, how good is he really (compared to the elite players at his position) Our defense worked well most of the time, but it was built around him, so he would be free to roam and make plays.

He was good enough to have the team built around him, so that says a lot.

I have seem him exposed many times however, especially on plays over the middle when he was forced into pass coverage and especially having to help out in the back field.

It seems like he could be exposed at critical times by the teams with the firepower to make the plays needed to do so. Sort of like a boxing match where the guy losing just waits and sets the winner (MLB in this case) up to receive a nice knock out punch.

Does anyone see him being less effective this year with a new system?
Has he really been slightly overrated, even though he's obviously very good?
With the changing Defense, who he have been a better cap casualty than Surtain? His Cap number is massive like Taylor, but Taylor is clearly a stud.

Oviously Saban feels no. OR he feels that it would be like killing Jesus in the eyes of most fans. It would affect ticket sales and would his undoing if the Fins struggled on Defense.

Any thoughts by those that know more than I.

It's going to depends on a few important key factors. The main one in my opinion would be how Zach Thomas performs this season under Saban's new defensive scheme, if he continues his usual yearly great success or even IMPROVES, hell there's no way we would let a leader and extremely talented player like him slip way. It's really all going to depends on his performance, so it's way too early to tell. Another factor will most likely be his contract. He has a big contract, don't know the exact numbers off hand, but in order to stay in Miami he would most likely have to restructure which I don't have any doubts of him doing if Saban still wants him (which I think and hope he will). The guy is such an important part of our defense and our team. If he performs well or better under Saban's new defensive scheme, there is NO REASON whatsoever that we should let him go.

Isn't his cap figure like 8.5 million or something like that or am I out to dinner? I would hate to see him go but Saban's hardest decision will be in 2006 when it really starts to be his judgement period.

When you restructure, do you carry cap costs, or can you just pay the guy less if it is agreed to?

i think it also depends on how fast chandler progresses. if zach isnt gone in 06 he's retired from the game in 07

Finland said:
Isn't his cap figure like 8.5 million or something like that or am I out to dinner? I would hate to see him go but Saban's hardest decision will be in 2006 when it really starts to be his judgement period.

When you restructure, do you carry cap costs, or can you just pay the guy less if it is agreed to?

If your player with value going down accept taking a pay cut u think it's fair for him and the cap,u keep him. You carry cap costs that u think it's worth long term.

Admin Edit: No personal attacks or insults pleasezach as many years left look at junior that was zach's role model and he is still playing ........ zach every year seeems to get smarter and faster

zach wil continue to play here as long as he can. He wants to retire here. If contracts can be worked out its not a question.

I don`t think anyone can argue that `05 is an important year from a performance standpoint for ZT. He`s had some injuries the past couple years, but hopefully the new training program this offseason will keep him healthy. We all know what kind of impact player he`s been for us in the past...we need the Zach from 4 and 5 years ago to show up this year. I`m thinking he has a very productive season.

phin lockeroom said:
all of u are loser's zach as many years left look at junior that was zach's role model and he is still playing ........ zach every year seeems to get smarter and faster

playing the same role doesn't mean zach will have the same gas seau has now at his age.

We will keep him regardless (I just know if need be he will take a paycut), and the chance of him being consistent like usual is like 85%. And dammit it's ZACH not ZACK.

The Dolphins moved on without John Offerdahl, a little guy named Zach Thomas came along and made us forget all about him. The Dolphins will move on without Zach Thomas too, and I'm thinking a big guy named Channing Crowder will help us forget about him...in due time.

Zach will stay with the team I think. I see him playing the same role as Bruischi in the NE defense. He isn't that much smaller than him and I think he is a better overall linebacker than him as well.

Back
Top Bottom