• Yes, First ballot

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Yes, eventually

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 47.5%

• Total voters
finfansince72 said:
7 time allstar (out of 12 seasons), 2 time defensive player of the YEAR. Never great.....again, what NBA are we talking about and what Alonzo Mourning are we talking about?

You do realize AS games mean nothing, right? The fans vote and they usalluy vote for popular players and he was one way back when. Did you think Grant Hill deserved to be in the AS game this year?

he was an excellent defensive player but that doesn't mean he was a great player. He was limited offensively so he wasn't an all-around great player. Dennis Rodman was a better rebounder and defender than 'Zo and he has 5 rings yet he most likely won't get in. Dennis won DPOY twice, he was on the all-defensive team 10 times(7 times 1st team), he led the league in total rebs 4 times, he led the league in rebs per game 7 times yet he won't be in the Hall but zo will? 'Zo was on the all-D team twice and he ld the league in blocks twice. 'Zo is NOT a HOFer./

To think 'Zo is a first ballot HOFer is even more insane, consider that dominique Wilkins didn't make it on his 1st attempt and he was a 9 time AS(since you guys love AS apperances so much), made all-NBA 7 times, and led the league in scoring. He never made a Finals either(though he played in a much tougher time when he had to deal w/ Boston then detroit then chicago, I know alot of 'Zo's career he had Chicago as the best team but they only made 1 conf final and Jordan left the bulls a long time ago then teams like the 8th seeded NYK, the pacers, sixers and Nets won the East while zo still couldn't).

The man is not a HOFer.

Grant Hill deserved to be an All Star this year. But Zo doesn't get in IMO.

Muck said:
Grant Hill deserved to be an All Star this year. But Zo doesn't get in IMO.

Grant Hill was a great story and deserved it based upon what he has been through but take away thre name Grant hill and give those #s to another lesser name player and he doesn't make it or at the very least isn't a starter.

Not after the way he quit on the Nets, he never came to play! He just sulked all the time!

To just to add to this: Bill Walton and "Snapper" Jones was asked the same question.....

They both said that he will get in.....

Section126 said:
To just to add to this: Bill Walton and "Snapper" Jones was asked the same question.....

They both said that he will get in.....

Ok now he's in :rolleyes:

Here's a fan vote, it's almost 50/50:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sport...7=11753&question2928=11755&question2929=11756

Here's an article by SI NBA reporter Jack McCallum saying he probably won't make it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/jack_mccallum/11/25/insider/

He's not a HOFer, at best he is borderline where it will take years and years to get in but I feel he falls just short. If he had led Miami to even an Eastern Conf Title I think he probably gets in but he never did that and riding Shaq's coattails to a possible title this year will not be enough.

nyjunc said:
Grant Hill was a great story and deserved it based upon what he has been through but take away thre name Grant hill and give those #s to another lesser name player and he doesn't make it or at the very least isn't a starter.

I went to a few Tragic games this year. And we get every damn game they play on TV here in Tampa (and not a single Heat game unless it's against the Tragic). :mad:

The guy is back in a big way. He's not the same stud he was in '99. But few if anyone thought he'd get anywhere near this level again. He deserved a spot. Not a starting spot. But a spot nonethelss. Shot the best percentage of his career from the floor (51%) and the line (82%) while having the lowest turnover rate of his career. Finished just a point under his career scoring average. Assists and rebounds aren't nearly what they were in Detroit though. But he's got to do a lot more for Orlando, as they're very young and don't play any defense.

nyjunc said:
Ok now he's in :rolleyes:

Here's a fan vote, it's almost 50/50:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sport...7=11753&question2928=11755&question2929=11756

Here's an article by SI NBA reporter Jack McCallum saying he probably won't make it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/writers/jack_mccallum/11/25/insider/

He's not a HOFer, at best he is borderline where it will take years and years to get in but I feel he falls just short. If he had led Miami to even an Eastern Conf Title I think he probably gets in but he never did that and riding Shaq's coattails to a possible title this year will not be enough.

That Fan vote alone should tell you the consensus is that he will get in.....Most of the people that voted in that poll are from the North East where they hate his guts......that should tell you something.

He won't get in. He was too big of a crybaby his first stint with the Heat.
He's a sore loser with no class in defeat. HOF you got to be kidding.

Section126 said:
That Fan vote alone should tell you the consensus is that he will get in.....Most of the people that coted in that poll are from the North East where they hate his guts......that should tell you something.

I think 50/50 says alot b/c fans are usually generous when it comes to things like this. fans up here don't care about him, there are only a few hundred Net fans and the knicks are so far away from hating the Riley-Mourning Heat that they don't care.

Den54 said:
He won't get in. He was too big of a crybaby his first stint with the Heat.
He's a sore loser with no class in defeat. HOF you got to be kidding.

WTF are you talking about?

nyjunc said:
I think 50/50 says alot b/c fans are usually generous when it comes to things like this. fans up here don't care about him, there are only a few hundred Net fans and the knicks are so far away from hating the Riley-Mourning Heat that they don't care.

Yeah..... :rolleyes: ...That's why when we went into the Garden toward the end of the season...the Garden went on a 5 minute chant of "Mourning Sucks!".....

They still hate him.

In the end it won't matter what the fans think. They're not the ones choosing who will or won't go in the HOF. Unlike the All-Star game it isn't a popularity contest. I doubt Zo makes it but it wouldn't surprise me. The man averaged 20 pts a game and 10 rbds from '92 to '00 until injuries derailed his career. It's quite impressive to see with what consistency he put up those numbers.
I definately think it'll help his cause if he wins a championship this year.

nyjunc said:
You do realize AS games mean nothing, right? The fans vote and they usalluy vote for popular players and he was one way back when. Did you think Grant Hill deserved to be in the AS game this year?

he was an excellent defensive player but that doesn't mean he was a great player. He was limited offensively so he wasn't an all-around great player. Dennis Rodman was a better rebounder and defender than 'Zo and he has 5 rings yet he most likely won't get in. Dennis won DPOY twice, he was on the all-defensive team 10 times(7 times 1st team), he led the league in total rebs 4 times, he led the league in rebs per game 7 times yet he won't be in the Hall but zo will? 'Zo was on the all-D team twice and he ld the league in blocks twice. 'Zo is NOT a HOFer./

To think 'Zo is a first ballot HOFer is even more insane, consider that dominique Wilkins didn't make it on his 1st attempt and he was a 9 time AS(since you guys love AS apperances so much), made all-NBA 7 times, and led the league in scoring. He never made a Finals either(though he played in a much tougher time when he had to deal w/ Boston then detroit then chicago, I know alot of 'Zo's career he had Chicago as the best team but they only made 1 conf final and Jordan left the bulls a long time ago then teams like the 8th seeded NYK, the pacers, sixers and Nets won the East while zo still couldn't).

The man is not a HOFer.

Nique was jobbed by not getting in. That was a travesty. Anyone who doesnt think he is a hall of famer should immediately have their vote removed.
Funny that you mention fan voting, remember we dont vote HOF's in. The guys that do will vote Mourning in. You act as if its a given that he wont get in. Put this post away in a file and get it out when he gets in. Im telling you for a fact that its a complete given that he gets in. Maybe not first ballot but he is a sure thing. Sorry if you feel otherwise but you kind of lost me in this post when you said Mourning wasnt a complete player. Thats ignorant. Completely. He scored 20 a night, pulled down 10 rebs a night and got 3 blocks, thats pretty much a textbook example of a complete player. He could score effectively, yea he didnt take threes who cares hes a center. He shot a respectable 70% or so from the freethrow line if Im not mistaken.
Now I would vote Rodman in. He was such a great defender and rebounder that he inability to score shouldnt be a great issue. He played on a lot of great teams and was a major contributer on them. Rodman is going to be judged by his ofcourt behavior. Fair? I dont think so but he is going to have problems making it in because of that. Still I believe he has a shot.

You act as if its a given that he wont get in.

I never said he had no chance, I said he is a fringe candidiate and that if he ever gets in it will be after a long wait.

Sorry if you feel otherwise but you kind of lost me in this post when you said Mourning wasnt a complete player. Thats ignorant. Completely. He scored 20 a night, pulled down 10 rebs a night and got 3 blocks,

He offensive game has always been very limited. he was an excellent defensive player but offensively he was not great. In only 6 of his years did he average more than 20, he was barely a 50% shooter(not too good for a guy who made his living putting back missed rebounds) and that goes under 50% in the postseason, he was a 70% FT shooter in the reg season and in the postseason 66%. The man was a good player, NOT great, and he was not a big game player. The only categories he has led the league in is blocks. He never led in rebs, FG%, PPG or any other important category. he was never top 10 in scoring.

scroll down and look at his resume(at the link below), it's not that impressive. I change my mind, in no way will he ever get in. He is less than a borderline candidate. he didn't put up great #s and he never won anything, he is NOT a HOFer.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mournal01.html

Now I would vote Rodman in. He was such a great defender and rebounder that he inability to score shouldnt be a great issue. He played on a lot of great teams and was a major contributer on them. Rodman is going to be judged by his ofcourt behavior. Fair? I dont think so but he is going to have problems making it in because of that. Still I believe he has a shot.

I'd vote Rodman too, he was not a complete player but what he was great at he did an an all-time great level which cannot be said for 'Zo and he was a key cog on 5 Championship teams.

Back
Top Bottom