Isn't there always a great RB available in the off season? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Isn't there always a great RB available in the off season?

Audiowizard

Scout Team
Reaction score
Sorry for starting another thread regarding our draft BUT I just don't understand why everyone is so adamant on using our very rare top pick on a running back. If the last few years (and then this year) has us shown nothing, it's that you can pick up a 1,300 yard rushing just about anywhere (trade/2nd round pick). When is the last time you've seen a group of franchise qb's come up exchange for for a 3rd or 4rd round pick (Feeley is not our long term answer). I guess I just truly don't understand. The qb is a more important postion and a good one is harder to fine. Why are we so excited to be using our pick on the running back?

It's not every draft you get a guy available who is 6'1" 230 pounds, runs a sub 4.4, is a great blocker and reciever and fits into our offensive coordinator's system.

Ronnie Brown.

DolphinDevil28 said:
It's not every draft you get a guy available who is 6'1" 230 pounds, runs a sub 4.4, is a great blocker and reciever and fits into our offensive coordinator's system.

Ronnie Brown.

Very, Very true. I also think he's a stud. But does it really matter if Brown runs for 1,800 yards or if we trade for Henry and he gets 1,300? And with Henry we have a pick left for a QB.

The difference between Brown's 1800 and Henry's 1300 could be several possessions at the end of games, controlling the clock to get the win.

...and I'd like to take a chance on a QB in the 3rd, like AD McPherson.

I think Smith and Rodgers are too risky to take at the #2 overall pick.

DolphinDevil28 said:
The difference between Brown's 1800 and Henry's 1300 could be several possessions at the end of games, controlling the clock to get the win.

...and I'd like to take a chance on a QB in the 3rd, like AD McPherson.

I think Smith and Rodgers are too risky to take at the #2 overall pick.

hmm...lol browns not getting 1800 yards rushing...maybe total yards but not 1800 rushing

Buddwalk said:
hmm...lol browns not getting 1800 yards rushing...maybe total yards but not 1800 rushing

I was using a hypothetical situation. Using the numbers Audiowizard gave me. :rolleyes:

Besides, how do you know Ronnie wouldn't get 1800? Dude is really really good.

Audiowizard said:
Sorry for starting another thread regarding our draft BUT I just don't understand why everyone is so adamant on using our very rare top pick on a running back. If the last few years (and then this year) has us shown nothing, it's that you can pick up a 1,300 yard rushing just about anywhere (trade/2nd round pick). When is the last time you've seen a group of franchise qb's come up exchange for for a 3rd or 4rd round pick (Feeley is not our long term answer). I guess I just truly don't understand. The qb is a more important postion and a good one is harder to fine. Why are we so excited to be using our pick on the running back?

People are so adamant because 3 of the top 8 guys are RBs and we don't have an established RB right now. I don't quite understand your exact point on the QBs, but this year's QBs (at the top, Smith and Rodgers) are not of the same quality as in past years. What RBs can you pick up that are 1300 yd capable...Henry this year..who else ??

LarryFinFan said:
People are so adamant because 3 of the top 8 guys are RBs and we don't have an established RB right now. I don't quite understand your exact point on the QBs, but this year's QBs (at the top, Smith and Rodgers) are not of the same quality as in past years. What RBs can you pick up that are 1300 yd capable...Henry this year..who else ??

Last year Clinton Portis and Corey Dillon were moved around and this year on top of Henry, Alexander and James are in play. Basically i'm saying a good to great rb is available every year but a good to great qb 99% of the time must be acquired in the draft.

Problem with Henry, it isnt his yardage production, its his fumblelitis hands. The 3 top RB's didnt have that problem in college, NFL is a whole different story though. But, in my eyes, I would give the unproven a chance, before the proven (Henry). He has proven he cant hold onto a football.

Audiowizard said:
Last year Clinton Portis and Corey Dillon we moved around and this year on top of Henry, Alexander and James are in play. Basically i'm saying a good to great rb is available every year but a good to great qb 99% of the time must be acquired in the draft.

You're right from that standpoint, but the salary cap is the real issue with Alexander and James as well as giving up multiple draft picks for them. Henry is a possibility, but do you see Saban giving up a draft pick for him ?? Portis was traded for a PB CB and a 2nd round pick, much more than the 3rd - 4th round pick you spoke of...Dillon was traded for a 2nd round pick as well...Look, I think that Saban wants to trade down really bad to get add'l picks...Linehan can operate with the RB-by-committee (as he has proven) very well in his scheme...so we could get by with a 3rd or 4th round pickup to compliment Gordon/Morris. But the fact is that 3 of the 8 top guys are RBs and arguably our most needed position...Again the QBs this year just don't seem to be at the "can't miss" level. I can't see Saban resting his laurels on the chance of a QB chosen being the next Marino.

How do we know these QB's are the ones to take us to the next level. Of all the passers taken high in the past, how many are reaching the superbowl now. Not many. You always have a couple but I believe the RB's are more of a must pick right now. I would love to trade down for more picks, but really don't think we are going to have that many suitors for that.

Audiowizard said:

Your absolutey right, though for some reason many don't seem to get the logic of it, New England didn't have to burn a #2 pick in the draft to get a Corey Dillon.

Seattle and Indy don't even care about keeping high priced marquee backs, they are more than willing to let them go for second rounders.

They understand the QB position is more important than the runningback, its too early to judge Saban yet as he hasn't drafted yet but for some reason the Dolphins in the recent past have tried to get by with bargain basement QB'ing.

LarryFinFan said:
You're right from that standpoint, but the salary cap is the real issue with Alexander and James as well as giving up multiple draft picks for them. Henry is a possibility, but do you see Saban giving up a draft pick for him ?? Portis was traded for a PB CB and a 2nd round pick, much more than the 3rd - 4th round pick you spoke of...Dillon was traded for a 2nd round pick as well...Look, I think that Saban wants to trade down really bad to get add'l picks...Linehan can operate with the RB-by-committee (as he has proven) very well in his scheme...so we could get by with a 3rd or 4th round pickup to compliment Gordon/Morris. But the fact is that 3 of the 8 top guys are RBs and arguably our most needed position...Again the QBs this year just don't seem to be at the "can't miss" level. I can't see Saban resting his laurels on the chance of a QB chosen being the next Marino.

The difference is they chose to pay their QB's over their runners.

LarryFinFan said:
I can't see Saban resting his laurels on the chance of a QB chosen being the next Marino.

Well, he going to have to someday or else we're always going to have a suck Qb. One is not going to fall in our lap.

Back
Top Bottom