It Is Rare... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It Is Rare...

Who is your best pass rusher?
How many good cover guys are on the team?
Who's your starting QB?
How many OL on the team are considered at least adequate?

First, in the time I've been here I see you as one of the more knowledgeable here and, IIRC, I agree with you more often than not.

That said, you surprised me with "I can give you multiple factual reasons they will suck in 2019." I actually thought you were serious. Then you give a list of legitimate concerns everyone has. I agree with all those. Those answers won't be known til game 8 or later. It will be an interesting 17 weeks.

Just moving on from Tannehill gives me excitement.

Exactly. That variable overwhelms everything else. There was no reason to follow this team as long as Tannehill remained. His presence pointed to low level and misguided thought process atop the organization. It is not an isolated fault. If you are butchering the logic in that situation it guarantees you are applying poor scope and priorities all over the place.

The world swimming championships are coming up beginning next weekend. They are interesting because of the vast disparity in ability. Some nations barely have swimming pools or competitive swim programs. Their competitors in the world championships struggle to make it from one end of the 50 meter pool to the other. Of course, you've got to be watching the early rounds of preliminaries to see that type of thing. NBC isn't going to be showing it in prime time.

Those are not the Tannehill types. No, the Tannehill type swimmers are the ones who blend. Neither high or low. They show up every 2 years for this event and are borderline to qualify for the semifinals. I remember a few of them but only a few.

Those countries don't have a choice. Their numbers are so tiny. This is the best they have. The Miami Dolphins had 7 years worth of choice but continued to rationalize that guy who is borderline on making into the semifinals, which is the cutoff to top 16.

It is mind boggling that we settled for that, amidst all the pathetic rationalizations. I cannot think of a similar example in 50 years following this sport.

Flores might be high or low. Given current realities he needs to do something relatively quickly to point upward. Like a great player or two. That in itself would be so revolutionary by recent franchise standards it might allow him to survive an incompetent early record. At Ross' age there is no telling what he might do if we have a truly disastrous season or two. It's easy to think clearly but at 80ish the realities of mortality are smack in front of you and therefore a 5-10 year plan not exactly welcome.

There is immense potential given our projected win range. At 5 wins as supposed 50/50 we are not far away from the 3< required for that top pick. That is magnificent, especially in (likely) a Tua draft. I don't understand the lack of posts and threads emphasizing as much. When the 50/50 mark is 7.5 or 8 then we are so far removed from either excellence or rewarded ineptitude, there is nothing to anticipate.

Gase would always pull out too many close games, especially at home, making our bottom line skew upward from actual talent level. If Flores has a normal distribution in those games, or especially if he has a weak distribution, then top pick range and actual relevancy may be within our grasp.

The other pearl is Rosen becoming something special. Not likely but not out of the question, and a fantastic exploration given the price tag.

I can understand why ckparrothead says he will he disappointed if we win too many games. He understands that not many seasons set up like this one. We really don't want Rosen or Fitzpatrick to take a rightful 3 win team up to 5 or 6, ruining everything for the 2020 draft yet totally irrelevant going forward.

First, in the time I've been here I see you as one of the more knowledgeable here and, IIRC, I agree with you more often than not.

That said, you surprised me with "I can give you multiple factual reasons they will suck in 2019." I actually thought you were serious. Then you give a list of legitimate concerns everyone has. I agree with all those. Those answers won't be known til game 8 or later. It will be an interesting 17 weeks.
Im usually on the homer side of things when it comes to the Fins, and while Im not optimistic for 2019, I do think it'll be an interesting season regardless of the record. Next offseason is where decisions become critical, they have put themselves in position to really hit multiple home runs then... In the mean time, I expect them to lose badly and Im fine with it, it'll just add even more ammo for 2020 and beyond...

I know every teams have weaknesses, the thing with the Fins is that all of their very critical holes are at bad spots and are closely related. Marginal QBs(at this point in time) wont get any help from the OL(most likely scenario). On defense the lack pass rush will directly affect everyone negatively in the passing game, nevermind that except for Minkah and Howard, the teams lacks covering skills all across the board...

Sure the coaching staff could work wonders and turn the team around immediately, which would be great. But its far from the most likely scenario, again Im usually a homer around here and I dont think I'd have gone back and forth with you here if it wasnt for the comment about guys who are not optimistic for this season have "denial issues". Bottom line, Im not optimistic at all for 2019 but I have no problem with guys having hope.

Im usually on the homer side of things when it comes to the Fins, and while Im not optimistic for 2019, I do think it'll be an interesting season regardless of the record. Next offseason is where decisions become critical, they have put themselves in position to really hit multiple home runs then... In the mean time, I expect them to lose badly and Im fine with it, it'll just add even more ammo for 2020 and beyond...

I know every teams have weaknesses, the thing with the Fins is that all of their very critical holes are at bad spots and are closely related. Marginal QBs(at this point in time) wont get any help from the OL(most likely scenario). On defense the lack pass rush will directly affect everyone negatively in the passing game, nevermind that except for Minkah and Howard, the teams lacks covering skills all across the board...

Sure the coaching staff could work wonders and turn the team around immediately, which would be great. But its far from the most likely scenario, again Im usually a homer around here and I dont think I'd have gone back and forth with you here if it wasnt for the comment about guys who are not optimistic for this season have "denial issues". Bottom line, Im not optimistic at all for 2019 but I have no problem with guys having hope.

It appears your mindset is showing through. I was responding to Dr Mom who posted about fans who "remain optimistic after years of mediocrity, and with no signs of that changing, you have to have some pretty thick skulls, or some major denial issues.
We are the worst team in the NFL and will be for quite some time." I responded there are signs (which I qualified as 'having no certainty') that could make fans optimistic. Yes, I followed that with "denying any of those signs is, well, a denial issue."

So here we are. It's apparently OK for a pessimist to state absolutes - "We ARE the worst team in the NFL and WILL BE for quite some time" [emphasis mine] and accuse those who disagree as deniers, but not OK for a cautious optimist to make qualified statements and accuse those who see no signs or potential of being deniers.

But, to return to topic, with few exceptions I think a significant majority here are in the middle for '19. Been burned/disappointed for far too long to actually be absolutely optimistic, but see a too much 'no one knows yet' so can't absolutely dismiss the possibility Flores may be the real deal, a couple of guys may surprise, a more conditioned team may be able to finish games. Once more, these are possibilities, not guarantees. Assuming NONE of these possibilities will make a difference is, IMO, unrealistic,

I have no expectations for playoffs for 2019 but I am excited to get a look at the new schemes as well as the new coaches. I want to see if they are an improvement on the coaching staff going back to 2012. It seems like these staffs failed to put players in a position to succeed. They always said they would build a system around the players strengths but I saw very little of that. Bad play calling, bad defensive schemes, stubbornness and being unwilling to adapt.

Now we get a look at a multiple defense that will likely feature more sub-packages than ever before. I expect a lot of multiple fronts with LB's and DB's moving all over the place in different roles. Different packages like nickel, dime, big nickel, etc. that will vary depending on individual match-ups, week to week.

When you look at our edge players I expect more blitzing and stunts to get pressure. I think the best edge setters will play on the outsides to stop the run first with pressure coming from various positions. They don't really have a lot of choice this year. In passing situations I expect lots of DB's in the coverage game with multiple LB's and Db's switching up the blitzing. Lots of teams are going to more DB's and coverage LB's to cover since many teams are getting rid of the ball so fast.

On offense I expect a quick passing game to help the OL and more of a commitment to run the ball. OL'men love to run the ball. Play action in 2 TE sets as they try and actually utilize our speedster TE as a receiver, Fullback leading blocks. Maybe some max protect to let Fitzpatrick sling it downfield (until game 5 when Rosen comes in) once in a while. Lots of action to the slot....whoever that ends up being. Dump-offs to RB's instead of a million WR screens.

Yeah, I'm still excited. Next year we can add some versatile edge players. 3-4 OLB types.

Back
Top Bottom