It makes sense for Sherman to tweak the WC offense early in the season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It makes sense for Sherman to tweak the WC offense early in the season

catch22

New Mexico Fin Fan
Reaction score
I think Sherman will do these things early in the season with the hopes of down the road transitioning to a more traditional west coast offense.

1) Pass the ball to our Running backs as much as possible early in the season. (screen plays, dump off's, out routes, and sending RB out Wide)
2) Run the ball more than they had initially planned until we sort out Tannehill's learning curve and and find out which WR's can step up for team.
3) Use 2 Back sets often
4) Try to feature our TE's a ton until we get some solid WR play.

I think they will try some or all of these things because as everyone knows that our WR's (other than Bess) will probably be our biggest weakness coming into week 1. Miami has at least 2 and maybe 3 good Running backs that seem to be able to catch the ball well (Bush, Thomas, Miller).All three backs have slightly different skill sets that should help keep teams guessing. I think that Tannehill looks to be a smart, mobile QB but we have no quality WR's other than Bess and he will probably suffer from a pretty steep learning curve passing the ball down field as most rookies do. We have decent TE's (at times good and at times bad) and Our O-Line is promising but Jake's injury is an unknown. The uncertainty at the OL means we will have to try to prevent Tannehill from taking too many hits and diverting lots of balls to the RB's is one way to do this. If our defense can get to a point where we are even close to as good as last year they will be good enough to keep us in games. I know Sherman and Philbin are west coast offense guys but I think they will be forced to alter our game plans early on to adjust to our current strengths and weaknesses. If they do some of these things I think we have a chance to win more games than people think. I am hoping for at least 6-10 or on the good side 8-8 this year. Next year we will have tons of draft picks and we can build even further.

What do you guys think, do you think Sherman and Philbin will we tweak the WC to be more RB/Running game focused early?

I think Sherman will do these things early in the season with the hopes of down the road transitioning to a more traditional west coast offense.

1) Pass the ball to our Running backs as much as possible early in the season. (screen plays, dump off's, out routes, and sending RB out Wide)
2) Run the ball more than they had initially planned until we sort out Tannehill's learning curve and and find out which WR's can step up for team.
3) Use 2 Back sets often
4) Try to feature our TE's a ton until we get some solid WR play.

I think they will try some or all of these things because as everyone knows that our WR's (other than Bess) will probably be our biggest weakness coming into week 1. Miami has at least 2 and maybe 3 good Running backs that seem to be able to catch the ball well (Bush, Thomas, Miller).All three backs have slightly different skill sets that should help keep teams guessing. I think that Tannehill looks to be a smart, mobile QB but we have no quality WR's other than Bess and he will probably suffer from a pretty steep learning curve passing the ball down field as most rookies do. We have decent TE's (at times good and at times bad) and Our O-Line is promising but Jake's injury is an unknown. The uncertainty at the OL means we will have to try to prevent Tannehill from taking too many hits and diverting lots of balls to the RB's is one way to do this. If our defense can get to a point where we are even close to as good as last year they will be good enough to keep us in games. I know Sherman and Philbin are west coast offense guys but I think they will be forced to alter our game plans early on to adjust to our current strengths and weaknesses. If they do some of these things I think we have a chance to win more games than people think. I am hoping for at least 6-10 or on the good side 8-8 this year. Next year we will have tons of draft picks and we can build even further.

What do you guys think, do you think Sherman and Philbin will we tweak the WC to be more RB/Running game focused early?
I really hope we don't go too far in the direction you are suggesting. If you remember what happened to us at the end of 2008 and beginning of 2009 when defenses figured out that Chad Pennington couldn't stretch the field at all you might reconsider your strategy. Defenses loaded up on us, we had trouble running and the secondary jumped the short routes. It was a complete mess!

If we're going to do that we might as well not play Tannehill this season.

Even our crappy WR core has to catch the ball more often with practice and we can hope that even if nothing comes in trade at least Hartline will help the situation.

I really hope we don't go too far in the direction you are suggesting. If you remember what happened to us at the end of 2008 and beginning of 2009 when defenses figured out that Chad Pennington couldn't stretch the field at all you might reconsider your strategy. Defenses loaded up on us, we had trouble running and the secondary jumped the short routes. It was a complete mess!

If we're going to do that we might as well not play Tannehill this season.

Even our crappy WR core has to catch the ball more often with practice and we can hope that even if nothing comes in trade at least Hartline will help the situation.

I do remember that and good point. I agree that we should not do this for long and I am pretty sure that unlike Pennington Tannehill will show that he can stretch the feild if defense's start to load up on us like they did late 08. I am suggesting that they do this early on to give tanne a smoother transition into the NFL than otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom