It’s a bit lonely, frustrating and motivating when it seems even your fans want you to lose | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It’s a bit lonely, frustrating and motivating when it seems even your fans want you to lose

I see that you find my choice a little shocking.

Here is a little historical support for picking a center in the first round of the draft:
I chose Blair Bush because I remember him. The Bengals had another center named Bob Johnson who may have been even better. Feel free to look him up if you think it is necessary.

1978, Round #1, Pick #16, The Cincinnati Bengals pick Blair Walter Bush, 6'3", 268 pounds.
(In 1978 he must have been one of the heaviest men on the field)
Played for Cincinnati 1978-1982
Played for Seattle 1983-1988,
Played for Green Bay 1988-1991
Played for Los Angeles Rams 1992-1994

Career stats:
Played for 17 seasons
Started in 161 games
Played in a total of 246 games
Played in 10 playoff games

Clearly a pretty good player and unusually successful, as seen by his 17 season career.

Apparently availability wasn't a problem!

What the Centers job consists of:

The Center the most important guy on the offensive line, and the second most important offensive player on the field, behind the QB.

The Centers job includes:
1) Putting the skill players in position to make plays.
2) He insures the runners have holes and the QB has time to throw the ball.
This is starting to sound like the offensive equivalent of some middle linebackers!
3) He passes (snaps) the ball to the QB (or other assigned ball receiver) from between his legs at the start of each play.

I imagine he also needs to be a pretty good pass and run blocker.

If there is an exceptional Center available in the first round, I feel we should get him.

We have three first round draft picks. Surely one of those would be soon enough to get a center. We could even trade one back for another 1st round pick and one, or two, or even three later round draft picks and should still be able to get a center.

I hope you can see the logic in my wanting a Center selected in the first round and the ease with which we could get him!

Since 2001 the starting C for each Super Bowl winner per round they were drafted in breaks down as the following.

2-1st round picks
2-2nd round picks
2-4th round picks
3-5th round picks
4-6th round picks
1-7th round pick
4-Undrafted free agents

C may be important but you can find a quality C outside of the 1st round. I mean the majority of the best Centers in NFL history were not 1st round picks. Dwight Stephenson, Jim Otto, Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson, Jim Langer, and Jim Ringo are 6 of the 10 best centers of all time and not one was a 1st round pick. Ultimately we have holes everywhere so they should really just go BPA.

EDIT wait I'm sorry were you suggesting taking a C with the 1st overall pick?

Last edited:
I've been a fan since '83. It's hard to root for your team to lose, but in the bigger picture, it will be worth it. I wasn't a huge fan of Tua, but now I am. He looks pretty damn good. I know he is in a great system on maybe the best team but either way he looks like a gamer. I'd much rather have Trevor Lawrence but there is not as much of a gurantee to get him like there is of getting Tua next year...... This 6-10, 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, crap has to end. Tia does look good. Combine that with our plethora of picks over the next 2 year and our salary cap situation, I am all for tanking. Plus I will be rooting for the teams playing anyone that plays Houston and Pittsburgh........ It sucks to lose, but in the long run it will be worth it....... I HOPE

I see that you find my choice a little shocking.

Here is a little historical support for picking a center in the first round of the draft:
I chose Blair Bush because I remember him. The Bengals had another center named Bob Johnson who may have been even better. Feel free to look him up if you think it is necessary.

1978, Round #1, Pick #16, The Cincinnati Bengals pick Blair Walter Bush, 6'3", 268 pounds.
(In 1978 he must have been one of the heaviest men on the field)
Played for Cincinnati 1978-1982
Played for Seattle 1983-1988,
Played for Green Bay 1988-1991
Played for Los Angeles Rams 1992-1994

Career stats:
Played for 17 seasons
Started in 161 games
Played in a total of 246 games
Played in 10 playoff games

Clearly a pretty good player and unusually successful, as seen by his 17 season career.

Apparently availability wasn't a problem!

What the Centers job consists of:

The Center the most important guy on the offensive line, and the second most important offensive player on the field, behind the QB.

The Centers job includes:
1) Putting the skill players in position to make plays.
2) He insures the runners have holes and the QB has time to throw the ball.
This is starting to sound like the offensive equivalent of some middle linebackers!
3) He passes (snaps) the ball to the QB (or other assigned ball receiver) from between his legs at the start of each play.

I imagine he also needs to be a pretty good pass and run blocker.

If there is an exceptional Center available in the first round, I feel we should get him.

We have three first round draft picks. Surely one of those would be soon enough to get a center. We could even trade one back for another 1st round pick and one, or two, or even three later round draft picks and should still be able to get a center.

I hope you can see the logic in my wanting a Center selected in the first round and the ease with which we could get him!

I kno we can land a Center in the first rd - don’t waste my time

You are seriously off your rocker!!’ And I like to argue for the sake of argument Mr. Contrarian

You are arguing wasting a first OA - wherethe team doesn’t have a Qb or a front 7 - I won’t even respond again I am sure I am being Punked - Your first OA for a C ??? Not the last pick of the first round or a mid rd first like Pouncey

In no universe is a team spending their first OA on a C - Ridiculous - unprecedented in the modern era where players wear pads and mouth guards

Since 2001 the starting C for each Super Bowl winner per round they were drafted in breaks down as the following.

2-1st round picks
2-2nd round picks
2-4th round picks
3-5th round picks
4-6th round picks
1-7th round pick
4-Undrafted free agents

C may be important but you can find a quality C outside of the 1st round. I mean the majority of the best Centers in NFL history were not 1st round picks. Dwight Stephenson, Jim Otto, Mike Webster, Dermontti Dawson, Jim Langer, and Jim Ringo are 6 of the 10 best centers of all time and not one was a 1st round pick. Ultimately we have holes everywhere so they should really just go BPA.

EDIT wait I'm sorry were you suggesting taking a C with the 1st overall pick?

No.

Any of our three 1st round picks could be used, even if we traded down with one of them, I felt I made that pretty clear in my post.

I appreciate the list you compiled. It shows that teams do use 1st round picks and other early round picks for centers with some success. It may not be a majority, but it is a reality.

I'm in the super minority in that I would be satisfied if the Dolphins get stripped of the top pick if they get it. Or if Tua says F-THAT, I'm not playing for those cheating losers or their idiot fans.

If an exceptional center is available, I do!

I agree an exceptional OC would be a great piece, but Miami has 3 R1 picks. Since most OCs are drafted below pick 12 (I made that number up), I suspect there's no need to spend the top pick on an OC. No need to overdraft

I agree an exceptional OC would be a great piece, but Miami has 3 R1 picks. Since most OCs are drafted below pick 12 (I made that number up), I suspect there's no need to spend the top pick on an OC. No need to overdraft

I hope our draft board on draft day will take that into account.

It does depend on the quality of the player available and we also have several 1st round draft picks in 2021. At this time I feel our need for a center outweighs our need at QB. By the end of this season that could be a different story.

In any case, I have no problems if they use one of our 1st round picks to get a Center.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I would like Miami to not be in the history books with the Lions and Browns as the only winless teams in NFL history. Sorry, but being a fan of THAT team is an association I do not want, it's pathetic.

I hear you. I don't want that, either. Tough sacrifice, but it has to be done, then so be it. You're telling me you wouldn't be rooting for a loss if they're 0-15, tied with the Bengals?

Aw poor baby “pro” athletes...they should be grateful to even be in the league being most of them don’t belong here. Lose every game, trade these bums for draft picks, who cares about rooting for them? None of them will be here anyway.

Should be grateful, eh? Didn't know the NFL was a charity. Suspect phrasing there. I see you.

When the front office tries to put together a competitive roster.

When they assemble one of the worst rosters imaginable I'll take it for what it is which is putting winning on the back burner for now.

Amazing. Several months in, and people still don't get the context. Wtf is so hard to understand? Does Grier have to hold a presser officially announcing that they're tanking? :lol:

Read between the lines, people. They gutted the roster, hardly any veterans left. Guys that could have contributed. $50M+ in dead cap this year, cleared by next season. Massive draft capital and cap space.

They offered a few million for the starting QB and didn't budge. Ever think of that? What organization in their "right" mind chooses Fitzpatrick over Bridgewater? They didn't care. The goal was to just get someone. They didn't want to mess up compensatory pick possibilities, so they low balled everything, including QB.

WHO LOWBALLS A QB's SALARY WHEN THEY'RE TRYING TO WIN??

Think.

Back
Top Bottom