It’s all up to Tua! | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

It’s all up to Tua!

Alabama Mac Jones looked good too! We need to see a lot of improvement from Tua this year!
Let's not forget that there are few HCs as pragmatically unsentimental as Saban. If he thought Mac Jones was better than Tua he would have started him instead!

Erm he already started doing that last year, did you watch Cards, KC, Pats, Chargers, Bengals games ? Now he has a little more talent, still no top level running back and a very young line though who need to get better.

I’m surprised that you think Tua took over the games you listed.

He was pretty bad against KC. It’s funny how garbage time stats make it look a little better though. Going into the 4th quarter he was down by 3 scores and had 150 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and was around 58% passing.

Against NE, he had 145 yards, 0 TD and 1 INT.

Arizona was definitely his best game, in my opinion.

What would concern me, if I were you, is that he seemed to get worse as the year went on. Not better.

In his first 5 games, he had 7 TD’s and 0 INT. In his last 4 games, he had 4 TD’s and 5 INT. Typically you want your rookie to look better as he gets more experience, not worse. I’m not trying to pile on, so I apolgoize if it sounds bad, but that Buffalo game... It was some of the worst quarterbacking i’ve ever seen.

I was high on Miami taking a QB with a top 10 pick. I think they made a big mistake in not doing so. I think Tua is plenty smart and a good kid, but I just don’t see “it” / that special thing good QB’s have / when I watch him.

Last edited:

He was pretty bad against KC. It’s funny how garbage time stats make it look a little better though. Going into the 4th quarter he was down by 3 scores and had 150 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT and was around 58% passing.

What would concern me, if I were you, is that he seemed to get worse as the year went on. Not better.

In his first 5 games, he had 7 TD’s and 0 INT. In his last 4 games, he had 4 TD’s and 5 INT. Typically you want your rookie to look better as he gets more experience, not worse. I’m not trying to pile on, so I apolgoize if it sounds bad, but that Buffalo game... It was some of the worst quarterbacking i’ve ever seen.

I was high on Miami taking a QB with a top 10 pick. I think they made a big mistake in not doing so. I think Tua is plenty smart and a good kid, but I just don’t see “it” / that special thing good QB’s have / when I watch him.

Please go watch tape of Josh Allen his first year and let me know what u see? Or Peyton, or baker, or Aikman. He had 3 rookie o-lineman. History has literally proven to give a qb time to learn and improve.

If Tua doesn't make significant progress this year then I would say hit the panic button. Let's give the kid a fair shot with camps and pre-season games before we run him outta town.

Please go watch tape of Josh Allen his first year and let me know what u see? Or Peyton, or baker, or Aikman. He had 3 rookie o-lineman. History has literally proven to give a qb time to learn and improve.

If Tua doesn't make significant progress this year then I would say hit the panic button. Let's give the kid a fair shot with camps and pre-season games before we run him outta town.

I totally get where you're coming from, but where I disagree is this.

When you watched Allen or Peyton their rookie year, you could tell that they had "it". That special thing good QB’s have. Their numbers weren't good and they had boneheaded turnvoers, but you could just tell that there was something special about them.

It's not something you can measure with stats, unfortunately.

I just dont see that "it" with Tua.

What I would have done, if I was the Miami front office, was give Tua his year. Allow him to prove he has that "it" that I dont see. But still draft a top 10 QB.

Best case scenario, you have 2 really good QB's. That is a luxury!

It takes eleven guys doing their job effectively to win in the NFL.

Getting over focused on any single position, without recognition of what the other positions are doing, is childish.

Once those eleven players get organized, it's up to the coach's to game plan and make adjustments to that game plan throughout the game to win.
Just my 2 cents here.

It does, but the reality is most teams rosters aren't that different in talent in most cases.

The team with the better QB generally wins because once you've weighed the plus and minus of the other 21 starting players there generally isn't that much of a gap between teams.

So Tua definitely does have to play to his potential if we want any chance if beating decent teams consistently.

After Allen's rookie year I had him pegged as a star. It was obvious he had all the traits of a top QB and his issues were ones easily fixable.

People get too caught up in numbers and not the talents players possess.

LOL you need to re-watch the KC game like I did recently, he was far from pretty bad against the best team in the league. Stop looking at stats and look at the game itself. Again you do it for NE, without looking at how he controlled that game, learned from a mistake he made in Q1. REWATCH the games, I did and what I saw I really really liked. This was a young QB, with few weapons and a young porous line that did him no favours, yet he managed things back there like a 10 year vet.

Come back with a detailed breakdown of the plays he screwed up, before I take you seriously. You will find especially for a rookie they are few and far between.

Just my 2 cents here.

It does, but the reality is most teams rosters aren't that different in talent in most cases.

The team with the better QB generally wins because once you've weighed the plus and minus of the other 21 starting players there generally isn't that much of a gap between teams.

So Tua definitely does have to play to his potential if we want any chance if beating decent teams consistently.

A well thought out post with one glaring omission. Why did the QB look good?

When a QB looks good, it's mostly the receiver who catches the ball; ex. ( no matter how exceptional Fitz's concentration was in the pass of the century it was the receiver that made it work)

Often a runner who gets the handoff and who makes the play.

Sometimes it's a trick play where the QB doesn't even touch the ball at all.

It's almost always the coaches who pick the players and call the plays.

It's occasionally a QB who escapes failing plays and runs a few yards.

The QB gets too much credit if you ignore the OL that protects him or other offensive players who get the ball and run with it.

Hard to take over games when your throwing to Hollins, Ford and Perry.
I don't know, I saw Tom Brady dominate this past year in Tampa Bay with a fantastic crop of receivers, at least 4 former Pro-Bowl or All-Pro guys, some in their prime some just outside it. But, I also saw Tom Brady do very well recently in New England with virtually nothing as a crop of receivers. I remember when Dan Marino made guys like Orande Gadsden and Tony Martin stars. Sure, it helps when Joe Montana has Jerry Rice and John Taylor, with a stacked offense and incredible defense behind him. But, great QB's like Aaron Rodgers do it with only one talented receiver and still put up MVP seasons.

Tua had enough weapons last year to succeed, but rehabbing, pandemic, rookie ... he had a typical rookie season, and underwhelming to anyone expecting instant greatness. But, he's healed up, has had a year to adjust to the NFL, and we're flooding the offense with talent built specifically around Tua. I expect we will see a significantly higher performing Tua this season. We've already built around Tua like 10x what we did for Tannehill. Now let's hope Tua progresses and continues on a trajectory to a mid-level NFL QB. If he were to be a Top-15 QB (middle of the road starter), I think this defense can wins games. And with the resources being poured into the OL and receiving corps ... I think he can be.

LOL you need to re-watch the KC game like I did recently, he was far from pretty bad against the best team in the league. Stop looking at stats and look at the game itself. Again you do it for NE, without looking at how he controlled that game, learned from a mistake he made in Q1. REWATCH the games, I did and what I saw I really really liked. This was a young QB, with few weapons and a young porous line that did him no favours, yet he managed things back there like a 10 year vet.

Come back with a detailed breakdown of the plays he screwed up, before I take you seriously. You will find especially for a rookie they are few and far between.
You got it all wrong, stats matter when they make Tua look bad, but they really dont when they make Allen look atrocious because every one could tell he had "it"... You're wasting your time here.

Watching the Kurt Warner vids on Tua makes it look like Tua just needs to get a little less panicky, trust his reads, and let a play develop. He missed key downfield throws because he didn't take that last 0.25 second look needed in a bottom to top progression. Seemed Tua was going top to bottom in his progression and settling for underneath or getting sacked.

It'll be fascinating seeing Tua develop. He's definitely a guy that I can see the light coming on once the proverbial game starts to slow down. Whether Tua can hang in there physically remains to be seen - it's a longer NFL season now.
Bingo.

Tua's best drives or sequences of plays came when we played hurry up.

Why? Because it helped recalibrate the "speed of the game" factor back to 50:50 between D and O.

When we huddled and took our time, Ds read Tua better than Tua could read Ds. Advantage opponent. I'm not even factoring in our horrible offensive weapons.

Based on what I saw from him, i think the challenge of the game needing to slow down for him is a) a real problem for Tua and b) something he can overcome with reps and command of the playbook (plus some sympathetic play calling).

A well thought out post with one glaring omission. Why did the QB look good?

When a QB looks good, it's mostly the receiver who catches the ball; ex. ( no matter how exceptional Fitz's concentration was in the pass of the century it was the receiver that made it work)

Often a runner who gets the handoff and who makes the play.

Sometimes it's a trick play where the QB doesn't even touch the ball at all.

It's almost always the coaches who pick the players and call the plays.

It's occasionally a QB who escapes failing plays and runs a few yards.

The QB gets too much credit if you ignore the OL that protects him or other offensive players who get the ball and run with it.

Yeah I'm not so much saying the other players don't contribute as much and definitely combined more, just that between two teams the talent of the roster minus QB is relatively the same unless you're a God awful team or absolutely elite.

You got it all wrong, stats matter when they make Tua look bad, but they really dont when they make Allen look atrocious because every one could tell he had "it"... You're wasting your time here.

The only IT Allen had was the ability to hIT nothing past 10 yards.

It's so ridiculous to compare Josh Allen and Tua. In terms of tools, build, and arm strength these QBs are not remotely similar.

You are comparing some of the best arm strength in the league to the worst. It doesn't work the way. Allen has become special because he took massive raw tools and fine tuned them.

Tua doesn't have the massive raw tools to begin with, so I don't know what people are expecting exactly from more playing time. The ceiling isn't and will never be there to be that top 5 guy.

sNw4DkN.png

Back
Top Bottom